Olympus E-M1, Olympus E-M10 II and Panasonic G80/G85 (with pana lenses)

magIBIS

Mu-43 Veteran
Dear @solquest, the three are imho for your needs really equal.

The street will be best suited with the smallest camera, which is the em10ii. The portraits with your gear - no big deal. Landscape - em10ii and g80 give maybe 10% better results viewable on LARGE prints - will that be relevant for you? (I rate my impact on NOT reaching the theoretically best possible exposure settings higher than that lab measurements ;-)

It is completely down to price and handling. I wanted the em10ii, but after holding one I knew, I would not be happy with it - I went for an hot deal e-m1.1.
I have hold an g80 shortly in a store after that: great grip, I still prefer the em1.1 viewfinder all the way (the feeling I get is more organic ... and I wear glasses).

Most impact on your photos will have how you connect with the tool, comparing the three. If two feel equal, take the cheaper and save the spare money for a portrait lens :)

Last edited:

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks!
I've looked around and for the G80 it says that "IS system works together with stabilized lenses to improve shake reduction". Given that those lenses are stabilized, this should be better than the Olympus, ins't it (but actually I don't know if you'll feel any difference or not)?
nope, Olympus is still unbeaten with it´s ibis. though dualIS comes darn close. the difference comes clear comparing video performance - there are plenty walk/run tests using all pana/oly cameras.

i would rather compare 5ii vs g80 - both weather sealed, pana giving you excellent 4k video, oly on other hand offering better ibis, and in case you´re using a tripod - 64mp high res mode with no noise at all and live comp for some interesting shots. if you don´t need high res - em1 mk1 will do the trick for even less money, offering even better af.

Mattyh

Mu-43 Veteran
Forgot to add, the Olympus menus are a total mess, where as Panasonic, although not perfect are a lot, lot clearer and easier to navigate.

JamesD172

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
Forgot to add, the Olympus menus are a total mess, where as Panasonic, although not perfect are a lot, lot clearer and easier to navigate.
Also personal preference though. I prefer the Olympus menus, largely because of the super control panel, to panny's. But that may also be because I own the Oly.

solquest

New to Mu-43
Understood.
Given that I've found for almost same price E-M1 and E-M10 II (both second hand) I'll go to the local shop for seeing which one feel nicer in my hands.
Thanks!

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello.
I need an advice, cause I want to upgrade my 7yo Panasonic G2.
I must say that it has always worked fine for me, but now I'm looking for something better and with image stabilization.
I'm actually looking at Olympus E-M1, Olympus E-M10 II and Panasonic G80/G85.

I'm into street photography, portraits and landscapes, almost not into video at all and I always use viewfinder instead of screen.

All are capable cameras.
IQ is generally similar with few differences (E-M10II has best DR, E-M1 has lowest read-out noise, G80/85 is sharpest)
but I doubt that those are visible in normal usage.
Strong points are:
E-M10II is best for long exposures, supports faster UHS-II cards, is cheapest.
E-M1 has PDAF, best support for older 4/3 lenses.
E-M1 and G80/85 have weather sealing, bigger buffer than E-M10II and there are battery grips for both of them.
G80/85 has 4K video.

Autofocus performance is interesting. From what I saw on youtube and different tests:
E-M1 has probably best C-AF and tracking abilities (only one from those three with PDAF).
E-M10II has most precise S-AF.
G80/85 has best AF for video.

IBIS performance is around 4EV for E-M1 and E-M10II.
G80/85 has excellent dual stabilization with Panasonic lenses (~5EV) but
with unstabilized lenses results aren't so good (I saw even result only 2EV with Oly 45mm f/1.8).

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don't forget the pro grip when you buy the 10II ;)
IMG_20170530_163704893.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Despite some of the remarks above the 45-150 (H-FS45150) appears on the dual IS compatibility list for the G80 and G85. Might be worth a closer look. The somewhat limited number of dual IS tests I've seen show up to a stop of improvement relative to OIS only but, as my current kit isn't dual IS capable and I haven't seen a test of the 45-150, I've some uncertainty over how well some of the tests might represent practical use.

Hard to say on M1 PDAF versus DFD as there's rather a diversity of experiences and findings. I've found it difficult to sort out how much of the variation is due to model and firmware evolution, subject matter of interest, and lenses used. It might be interesting to wait a bit to see what AF the M-10 III gets.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom

Yeah, I'm with James and can't get on board with this at all. Olympus menus aren't as intuitive, but unless you're just renting a camera or trying it out in a shop, that doesn't matter. Once you've set the camera up the way you like it (and Olympus gives you a bazillion ways to do this) then it's very intuitive and you hardly ever have to go back to menus again. So set up time is longer and more complicated, but after that it's smooth sailing.

Further, once you're accustomed to it, the Oly menu system actually does make sense-- more sense to me than Panny's. I own both an E-M10-II and GM5, so this is more than just theory.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
Don't forget the pro grip when you buy the 10II ;)

This is actually a good point, though the EG-3 costs $60 US. But if you have larger hands or shoot longer, heavier lenses, then it really improves the handling, making it much more E-M1-like.

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
Touch choice.... if it were me I would take the em 10 mk ii... and I did. I sold my g7 for one and now shoot an em 1 and the em 10 mk ii.... I prefer the olympus iq and menu layout and over all feel.

solquest

New to Mu-43
At touch I like them both (e-m1 and E-m10 II + grip)... decided to get the one cheaper and to add a lens..I'd like 12-40 but too expensive, so I'm thinking of 14-54 II + adapter...

solquest

New to Mu-43
And as often happens, starting looking for something and ending up getting something else.
Just got a 14-54 II + MMF-2 adapter and decided to look for a 75-300 (and the sell my 45-150).
In the meantime still looking for the cheapest between E-M1 and E-M10 II + grip.

Phocal

God
And as often happens, starting looking for something and ending up getting something else.
Just got a 14-54 II + MMF-2 adapter and decided to look for a 75-300 (and the sell my 45-150).
In the meantime still looking for the cheapest between E-M1 and E-M10 II + grip.

Personally I would look for an EM1. I recently got the 14-54 II and while it does perform decently on my EM5, it works much better on my EM1. Now that you have the adapter and if you get an EM1 you can look at other bargain 4/3 lenses. Speaking of that.......seriously look for a 50-200 SWD and EC-14 over the 75-300 (but only if you get an EM1). You will get much better IQ from the 50-200 and be able to shoot at lower ISO's because of the faster apertures (which will also help give better IQ).

solquest

New to Mu-43
Oh good to know.
Unfortunately 50-200 (+EC-14) sounds much more heavier and expensive than the 75-300 so I don't think I'll go for that.
Also cause I already know that the lens I'll use the most will be the 14-54 II.

Latest threads

Top Bottom