1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus e-M1 mk2 reviews

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Speedliner, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Just getting ahead of the curve and hoping for more shortly.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    I hope they modify the LiveComp feature so that you can take photos quicker than 0.5s exposure. I'd like to know if it can be used in lieu of an ND to smooth out water surfaces. Might look weird, but something to experiment with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Interesting idea.

Have you tried doing it with the current system with a 0.5s exposure?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I doubt they added it in camera, but you can alway do it afterwards in photoshop. End result is almost exactly the same as with an ND.

Even if it worked in Live Comp it wouldn't be quite the same effect, as LiveComp is more additive vs. a "mean" from an ND or addition in photoshop. Which has pros and cons.

5. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    I tried it once, I didn't have any NDs on me at the time, so it as expected was blown out. Haven't tried it since. I guess I could try it again. Maybe on Wednesday I'll go to the lake.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I wonder why it's limited to a minimum of 0.5s? I mean, all it's doing is to do an additive stack of multiple images. Maybe it's something to do with the reading of the image data and displaying it? Personally I'd be happy to only show the image every 0.5s but to allow much shorter exposures. As @atarijedi@atarijedi says above, it would be a great alternative to a big stopper ND filter.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's probably at that limit being designed for night time photography, but I couldn't guess why for other technical reasons.

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
  9. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I hope any of the reviewers will use 4/3 lenses on the MK2, because the 4/3 lens performance is crucial to me. It seems obvious that the MK2, with its crossed af points, will be fantastic with 4/3 lenses, but AFAIK Olympus haven't mentioned 4/3 lens compatibility with one single word. Which means that I won't assume anything about that until someone has actually tried it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada

Olympus Q&A: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Sensor Size Trip

Q - Do all lenses benefit from the improved Auto Focus system?

Yes, all Micro Four Thirds lenses, including Panasonic lenses will benefit, although it will depend on how fast the lens’ focusing system is. Four Thirds lenses (when used with an adapter) will also benefit from the quicker focus system.

Olympus - Olympus Imaging Australia

AF limiter
    • Compatible with Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds standard AF lenses

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    "No viewfinder blackout!"

• Wow Wow x 1
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    At 6:30 in the video, btw.

I'm a bit confused because they show no blackout in one burst, and then another with blackout.

13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    It looks so much bigger than the mark 1 with the grip on. Just keep reminding yourself that it's all about the size of the lenses.

14. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Bring. it. on! :clapping:

• Like Like x 1
  15. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Unfortunately all the reviews so far are quite lacking in substance due to restrictions on the camera being pre-production. All the ones I have seen so far basically just talk about how the camera handles, over and over again, and not much else. No sensor / ISO results and AF results, we'll have to wait for that. According to 43 Tremors (this just in: (FT5) Confirmed: Olympus E-M1II will start shipping the first week of December – 43 Rumors) - it will start shipping in early Dec, so we can expect proper reviews around then. Until then and since about the third "hands-on" video, I am ignoring all these reviews as they are pretty much all the same at this stage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Damn. Yes quite a bit bigger. Mind you lots more battery capacity, but with the grip I have never had an issue personally.

17. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    AWESOME! They finally managed to implement a digital focus limiter!

I'll really be interested in seeing how the E-M1 II performs with the 50-200 SWD in C-AF. The expanded PDAF coverage, coupled with them all being cross-type AF points bodes well, but the proof is ultimately in the pudding.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I watched the "in the house" video that Jamie McDonald did. One thing that it does show pretty well is how much deeper that new grip is. I picked up my E-M1 and actually I'm pretty happy with its grip. In fact, reaching my fingers round to get to the two buttons on the front of the camera (which I have set to iris close and peeking on/off) are just about at the right distance for easy reach. A deeper grip will likely be a stretch (but I have porky fingers!).

19. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Yeah, but it's just the grip, and really that's going to be required ergonomically -- it's a shame that the rest of the back + front buttons didn't make it over though. The mk2 doesn't look much bigger than the mk1 otherwise.

20. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

The larger grip and the unfortunate (IMO) position of the right strap lug are only there because of the need to house a bigger battery and two SD card slots. They just followed the suit with the portrait grip. I love the d-pad on the grip but again this is only because of the bigger battery / larger surface, otherwise they probably wouldn't have bothered to design it in.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2