Olympus E-m1 mk2 or Pansonic G85

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rwingsfan, Feb 16, 2017.

1. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    I know, I know another one of THESE threads, but I am really torn. I am ridding myself of all my dslr stuff and going full speed ahead with m43. Going to probably get a 100-400 panny for my main wildlife lens. Already have a e-m1 mk1 and love it, but for me the G85 w/grip is interesting. Read all the reviews and it seems there would not be a ton of difference. Anyone want to weigh in?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

The only real difference is the C-AF sequential shooting capability of the E-M1 Mk2. From CameraLabs (Panasonic Lumix G80 / G85 review | Cameralabs)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    Thanks, honestly 3-5 fps is plenty for me. The thought of dfd with the panny is intriguing also.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well it's more than the burst speed. It's the AF system. The E-M1 series are the only m4/3 cameras with a DSLR AF system. It's much better for continous tracking AF. If that's a big part of your photography, then the E-M1 wins. It also means you can adapt some old 4/3 DSLR lenses, that are very good and very cheap on the used market.

But the G85 is a spectacular camera at half the price.

5. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    Yeah therein lies the rub. I need good af-c but damn half the price? Ouch.....

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can get the older E-M1 for cheaper than a G85.

7. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    Actually already have one.

8. wjiang

The biggest difference between Mk1 and Mk2 after having tried it last night wasn't necessarily the C-AF (which greatly improved) but how little blackout and lag there is during the burst. Tracking is a breeze compared to the Mk1.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, if you are going to use Panasonic long lenses, I would go with the G85 to get dual IS. I think that with long lenses it is likely you need to pick either Panasonic or Olympus's ecosystem. As to the G85's grip, I like it a lot. I walk around with heavy lenses, like Voigtländer's, held by one hand without a strap quite comfortably. I would imagine that it would handle your long lenses well.

10. wjiang

That in itself was ho-hum for me... when I tried them outdoors, the difference between Sync-IS 300mm and the IBIS-only 75-300mm II on the MK2 was not that dramatic (5.5 stops versus 6.5 according to the rep). When shooting action you need high shutter speeds anyway - as long as you've got enough stabilisation for framing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, but are the results within the Panasonic ecosystem compared to the Olympus ecosystem?

12. wjiang

According to CameraLabs the best combination of Panasonic was about as good as the Olympus. The key thing though is that without any sync up, the IBIS alone of the Mk2 is already good enough. You can use any Panasonic lens and just use the IBIS with OIS switched off.

13. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    I have no idea if I am contributing anything here, but I was in Africa recently with E-M1 (mk1) and 100-400 glued on it.
    Never felt I needed dual IS, but I though so before the trip (and therefore considering G80/85).
    But I was not out in dim light, and I drank no coffee. That might have something to do with it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. wjiang

Yeah coffee will ruin it... I don't get results anywhere near what I see online with IS.

15. I think all the cameras you are considering are very close to each other in their performance – especially with good user technique!
    One recommendation I have is to test/rent a 100-400mm and make sure it gives the IQ you will enjoy. I purchased a 100-400 and didn't like what I got, using it where I would shot most of my backyard birds around our wetlands.