1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-M1 and 7-14mm Pro missing focus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Corey, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Corey

Corey New to Mu-43

Jul 26, 2015
    I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this camera and lens combo or not...most likely it's a camera body thing and has nothing to do with the lens. But I just got my OMD EM1 and 7-14mm. The focus tends to be perfect or way off whenever I'm taking pictures. My style of photography is very point and shoot and do not have time to make adjustments. Think events and weddings.

My go to kit previously has been a Canon 5DMarkIII and 16-35L. The focus is usually perfect or slightly off (when pixel peeping). Never have had out of focus issues like on the OMD EM1. Maybe it's user error?

Example shot with Olympus E-M1 and 7-14mm Pro below.

P7240045. P7240044.

2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    What's your focusing mode? How many detection points are you using? Face detection?

3. Corey

Corey New to Mu-43

Jul 26, 2015
    Single point focus, face detection

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Perhaps you are using C-AF. Change to S-AF.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Also make sure release priority is disabled.

Barry

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The fastest, most reliable focusing mode is single point AF, no face detect. Face detect uses limited processing that could be used by the AF.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Looks really strange to me, looks like it is focusing extremely close but there's nothing closer then the girls and there's plenty of contrast, it shouldn't hunt very much.

Does it happen often? Other lenses to check? As already said, release priority could explain this. A false contact with the MF clutch ring (extremely wild guess)?
    You could also check the AF area location in the EXIF data and focus distance (even if inaccurate), maybe could point to something.

8. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Check the clutch ....

9. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Second checking the clutch. Early on with Olympus, I thought camera or lens was broken until I realized I had slipped the clutch ring to manual focus.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    yep, probably the clutch

11. The focus clutch (which helpfully bears no markings whatsoever to indicate it's function) has been the cause of more focusing problems than I care to remember. However, in the examples above the focus has shifted considerably which will only happen in manual focus mode if the photographer is madly twirling the focus ring between shots.

12. Corey

Corey New to Mu-43

Jul 26, 2015
    Is there a way of disabling manual focus so I don't accidentally hit the focus clutch ring?

13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Verify that you do not have S-AF + MF set as the AF method. If the clutch is not engaged for MF use, the lens can still be MF with the ring in the AF position. Seems like this might be happening.

I had this happen to me quite a bit when using prime lenses that were all pretty much focus rings. I didn't even realize I was doing it. Thought I had a defective 45/1.8 Oly lens.

Make sure this is not happening to you.

14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    You mean other then pushing the ring back?

15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I had this problem with the Oly 12-40 Pro zoom. It seems whenever I pulled it out of my gear bag I always seemed to pull the ring! :dash2:

16. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Masking tape aka painters tape should help, without much risk of sticky residue.

Barry

17. Corey

Corey New to Mu-43

Jul 26, 2015
    So there is no way to just disable that function of the ring?

18. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Nope, it's mechanical, not electronic.

19. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    It happens with my 12-40 Pro at times, drives me nuts :dash2:

But I'm aware of it.

20. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    You can't disable it but I promise after a short while you might, as I did, get into the habit of just adjusting this ring automatically every time you have a focusing issue pop up. I got to where I didn't even think about it, like a reflex action.