1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus E-510 - my first love, anyone else wanna share their story?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ramirez, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I hope that I put this thread in the right section.

My story about Olympus and me:

My first system camera was the Olympus E-510. I choose the E-510 for the IS and the system that shakes away dust from the sensor (Don't remember the name for it now). These two things wasn't common back then.
    I only had the standard zoom lenses; normal and tele. Later I added Olympus 25 f2.8 pancake lens to keep the camera small when walking around.

I've had a lot of cameras since then, different systems. Much better cameras in many ways. But when I look back on the images I took with the E-510, there is something that my more modern cameras can't do. Something special with the tone of the old E-510 images.
    My wife says that she misses that camera too. There was something that I haven't found in the image files of the cameras of today.

That E-510 started my passion for photography. The first love.

In Olympus cameras of today some characteristics exist but they are not really the same.
    Something like real music from the 70:s compared to the computerized music of today (I'm and old timer regarding music!).

The old 4/3 cameras had something special about them.

Please share your story of what really made you passionate about photography, did you have a first love?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The first time I loved a camera was probably the Canon 5D, but the Olympus E-410 was special to me as well.

Still, I would say the same for the Pen F. Absolutely a special camera from my standpoint.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    OM-1 for me. I bought it just after high school and used the heck out of it. I only had the 50mm f1.8, but it served me well. I had many P&S cameras since then, but I didn't get truly obsessive until I got my first E-M10.

• Like Like x 3
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It wasn't my first love however it was what pushed me to study it, to really make it part of my life and make it part of who I am. It stayed with me all through school and onwards for some time however ultimately it ended and photography became somewhat painful for several years.

Oh yeah, it was all about a girl :) . I try not to think about it too much anymore, I have many regrets however I don't want to become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone...

I had many cameras and lenses before and after however the one which sticks out in my mind is the Olympus 35-100mm f2.0 SHG on any body. The results from that lens were really something else, I miss mine despite not having used it due to the weight for some time before I sold it. Bodies are for the most part all the same apart from handling for me, there's not normally all that much between them, it might as well be an interchangeable body system.

• Like Like x 2
  5. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    My first love was Anna, in first grade, she was pretty as a doll. I shouldnt have let my grip of her ponytail go, maybe then she would have been mine today, but our teacher made me...

The first camera I loved tho was a Canon TLB, I learned a lot from it, I had to cause it was all manual. I really grew in that camera, often regretted I sold it and bought a Nikon F501, but on the other hand that Nikon became my second cameralove. My first Olympus was a Z2000, fun w new technology, but I was with a Canon 10D for a while before buying a PM1 and since then I've been faithful to Olympus.

• Like Like x 3
  6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    My first digital camera was an Olympus D-220L in 1998, a sliding door to turn on and access the lens, 0.3MP (640x480), fixed focal length. Many years later most web cams would take better shots, but man I had a lot of fun with that camera. It was the camera that made me want to try things (probably because I didn't have to pay for film to experiment).

From there I went to the C-2020Z which really was a great camera and best of all with the simple addition of a Hoya R-72 filter could take hand held infrared shots. It was that camera that led me eventually to use infrared converted Oly bodies.

Next up the C-770UZ "ultrazoom". I have to say, although it did the job, it never really won me over. It was very tiny though. But I did get those great Oly JPGs out of it. On the other hand, it had a hotshoe and was the first camera where I bought and started to learn about hotshoe mount flashes.

FINALLY, bought the E-520. This was after researching and seriously considering Nikon and Canon as well. As @Ramirez@Ramirez mentioned above, at the time dust on the sensor was a bit of a problem for those other systems as they didn't have automatic sensor cleaning like Oly did. But having been using Oly digitals for some years, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion I would be going with Oly's line of dSLRs.

Since then a few different 4/3rds bodies, although the E-520 until it broke and then the E-3 were my main bodies. A few others that I used in parallel with but secondary to each of those two. And now I am using the E-M1, my first m43s body plus an IR converted E-P2.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    My first was an OM-1 too, though both my prior Olympus cameras that got me there were also special, one a rangefinder, the other the OM-10. I find I still like to shoot in the way to which I became accustomed using the OM-1.

The first digital camera I loved was the Olympus E-300, an underestimated beauty that was built like a tank. Funny that the photo fashion police at the time thought it was ugly because of the flat top. But I've gotten used to that phenomenon. It's been noticeable for decades among many reviewers: if Olympus does it it's stupid and useless; if someone else does it (often after Olympus) it becomes pure genius. (Sensor cleaning anyone?) I traded the E-300 for an E-510, which I liked even better, but it wasn't the first. And the first time is special.

The new Pen is my new love. I thought I'd use it with the 20mm pancake a lot, but I find the 12-40 with it makes for a very capable and enjoyable kit. However, I'm rather photographically promiscuous these days, shooting the lovely Leica X1, the ground-breaking E-M5, a Fuji X10, and the nifty and versatile little Stylus 1 as well.

• Like Like x 2
  8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    First camera love. Cashed my first paycheck at my new job in 1970 and bought this.
    P3102332.

The shutter still clicks, but the light seals are surely gone. I still shoot the lens on M43.

• Like Like x 3
  9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    If you ever feel like using it for nostalgia's sake it's easy to redo light seals. This is assuming it uses a seal inside a channel (with the film door pressing into the channel)

Go to a knitting/fabric supply store (I'm not sure what they're called in America, Spotlight here is good) and buy some thick black wool. It needs to 100% wool and not synthetic (explained below) and slightly too thick to fit into the channel for the light seal.
    Clean all of the old seals out using rubbing alcohol and a tooth pick.
    Using another tooth pick put a dab of PVA glue (Elmers is what it's called there I *think*) at the end of the slot, you only need a tiny amount of glue to hold the wool down (a drop or less, spread it out over half a centimeter. There shouldn't be enough to soak through the wool).
    Twist the wool so that it thins (one way will make it go larger, one smaller) slightly and push it into the glue, slowly twist it and smooth it with your fingers as you follow the groove but take care not to pull it (it needs not to be overly taut so that it will stay in the track when you expand it, if it's too taut it won't expand).
    Once you're at the end of the slot, cut it slightly long (1-2mm) put a dab of glue at the end the same as the start, untwist it slightly and work it a little bit (push/pull, it doesn't take much) to expand the rest of the wool, hold it down about an inch before the end using a tooth pick and retwist it to fit it into the slot, push it into the glue.
    Close the film door to hold the wool in place while the glue dries.

It's okay to use a few dabs of glue in the middle to make sure the wool doesn't move, it's also important to end and restart either side of the little tab which resets the film count when the back is opened. I use a felt for the end seals (they need a broader flat section rather than a thin long one), I can't remember where I got it however the crafts section of a fabric place should have something (it's just a thin black wool felt). The only synthetic foam I use is for the mirror dampener (the mirror hits it when you take a picture).

Wool is commonly used on movie cameras as it handles vibration, heat, and repeated use very easily and doesn't break down, it's important that you use 100% wool rather than a synthetic fiber as many synthetics are transparent to IR light and will not function as a light seal. All my cameras have had the same wool seals for 20-30 years and show little wear (just dirt).

Another advantage of wool is it's really really cheap, a bundle is enough for several hundred cameras and doesn't cost much at all.

• Informative Informative x 4