1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus dust rejection

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Spuff, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I knew there was a dust system there, but I only just learned how it works, and I didn't realise that it appears so muscular.
    Does this mean I can relax about dust on my EPL1 when changing lenses if the environment is not obviously dusty?
    Apparently there is a sticky strip that catches the dust. What happens when this strip gets fully loaded?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/EA1TMwsXQFY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/EA1TMwsXQFY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Now that's a good question ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    This sure is a LOT of dust in the video! The cleaning action is indeed spectacular. In normal use I expect to see only a few dust specks, so the strip will not easily be saturated. Panasonic has the same system as Olympus; I change lenses a lot, indoors and outdoors, and I don't see dust on my pictures, ever....

• Like Like x 1
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Thye strip can be replaced by Olympus as a service part.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  5. None of these systems are infallible. You should always be careful when changing lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I agree, but the EP2 is light years ahead of my old 20D, which always seemed to require the rocket blower.

7. Yeah, my 350D was a bit of a dust magnet too.