Olympus Drop-In Circular PL Filter DPF-43 - where to find it?

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
1565708917084.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yeah, it's a long shot find one - not too long ago there was one on EBay. So....yes, I am looking for one. Wanna get rid of it? Don't use it all, and it's just collecting dust? sell it to me then :D
Or if you know of a store, user, come across one, please let me know
Thanks for looking
Phil

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wow — you actually saw one on ebay? I've had my feelers out for those for two years! I've approached every regional Olympus office and pleaded with the Tokyo office. All have assured me that none exist. Nowhere. Ever. DFH-43? DPF-43? What's that? :dash2:

I just realized that it's the polariser that you're after, not the regular filter holder, but I think the same applies. As far as I can make out, they were only ever sold as part of the 300/2.8 kit, and not as accessories. If that's true, then they'll only come up for sale if someone's sold the lens without the filter pack. Which in turn does mean that the CPL ought to come up more often than the regular filter holder, which of course is mounted in the lens by default. So you may have more success than I've had — best of luck with your search anyway!

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
Hey Alex,
yes, doing a search pointed to a link, but then EBay could not find it, which is normal since it's was old
I am looking for the mount - complete.
Luton crs store in the uk, was able to find it thru Olympus Europe, but... it seems that was been re-branded Leica and collectible edition (wink)
The one on EBay was listed around +$230iish or so.... a bargain LOL
I can use a CPL with the regular holder but it's a pita. I have to remove it, check the effect and insert again - ah!, try that with monopod.
Found a Sigma 43mm drop-in on fleBay, and might...(long shot)...fit. Arriving next week likely.

The cpl assembly set it's with filter included - but can be also sold separately too (still too much money imo)

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Definitely interested to hear whether the Sigma fits when you get it.

I can confirm that the DPF-43 does work very well — clearly a high quality filter even by today's standards. Out of interest, how is it that you need one — did you buy a used 300/2.8 which had lost its polariser at some point?

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
Definitely interested to hear whether the Sigma fits when you get it.

I can confirm that the DPF-43 does work very well — clearly a high quality filter even by today's standards. Out of interest, how is it that you need one — did you buy a used 300/2.8 which had lost its polariser at some point?
Yes - got it used with regular holder and uv filter. I was quoted $932.65 for the cpl+holder - a bit $500 if the holder alone. Well, I don't think so - I have paid a lot for two large size cpls once: a 86 and 95mm of very good quality.
Not doubting Olympus quality, but the pricing is out of whack for what it is

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
Actually was not Olympus - directly. The Luton Camera Repair Shop in the uk did. They told me that were able to contact Olympus European division, and that they had the holder in stock.
Would take two weeks or so to get it. Obviously there is some mark-up and currency "bump", but it's not like it would double the cost.
Olympus USA, still claims that the holder is out of stock. Waiting now for a reply from the European division - this time I contacted them directly
will see what comes out of that

Last edited:

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
Got the sigma drop-in CPL today - it fits (mostly) and works fine
The holder has a small thumb screw, coiled, which allow a small notch to make the assembly secure in the lens opening ( from inside).
A quick test showed me that works, just have to see more in detail if there is some tinting

Attachments

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Excellent! I'm amazed that the barrel diameters appear to be identical — a stroke of luck there, I think! A pity that the Sigma holder isn't quite long enough to cover the ends of the slot, but it looks like the gap — if any — is tiny. What's causing the holder to sit at a slight angle like that — is the filter fouling on something internal, or is it to do with the width of the slot mounting surface (the part the holder sits on)? I'm not sure what sort of impact that might have on the image — maybe not a significant one, but it might be worth trying to fit a thin piece of expanded neoprene or similar as a sort of leveling gasket (which could also help cover the ends of the slot? Just a thought.

But the polarizer seems to work, judging from the images! Full marks for finding a solution! :thumbsup:

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
Excellent! I'm amazed that the barrel diameters appear to be identical — a stroke of luck there, I think! A pity that the Sigma holder isn't quite long enough to cover the ends of the slot, but it looks like the gap — if any — is tiny. What's causing the holder to sit at a slight angle like that — is the filter fouling on something internal, or is it to do with the width of the slot mounting surface (the part the holder sits on)? I'm not sure what sort of impact that might have on the image — maybe not a significant one, but it might be worth trying to fit a thin piece of expanded neoprene or similar as a sort of leveling gasket (which could also help cover the ends of the slot? Just a thought.

But the polarizer seems to work, judging from the images! Full marks for finding a solution! :thumbsup:
not sure what slight angle you are talking about...
Yes, the holder is a bit smaller, but width is about the same. Obviously there are differences. No internal mechanisms get touched or bumped on that area of the lens.
There is no extra light getting inside, IF I carefully position the holder, so indeed I might have to come up with a solution to make my life easier.
The thumb knob does clear the lens wall thickness and grabs it securely - so doe not fall off, ar moves around at all
My concern now is with the cpl quality - Only the first four images were taken with the cpl; the other are without and last two with the 1.4x tc.
I might try with a 48mm drop-in next. It's impossible to know any other way....and test more the sigma cpl too

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
not sure what slight angle you are talking about...
In the third pic, the holder looks as if it's tilted forwards by a few degrees (see below). If the filter glass isn't perpendicular to the optical axis, there'll be some refraction. I'm afraid I don't know enough to be able to say what effect (if any) that may have on the image, but if it were me, I think I'd want to find out! :)

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Alex,
might have been while adjusting for pictures. There is a bit of lip in the opening, and the rear side shows a bit more - then there is a bit of play with getting the holder locked in place with the thumbscrew mechanism. I think the lens wall thickness on the Sigma? (intended lens for this drop-in filter) might have been not as thick as the Olympus - the notch does the work, but I have to push the thumbscrew all the way down, and then just tweak by feeling a bit.
Yes, I had no time to do better tests yet - might have to craft a new top piece/or add-up material to it in a few spots, mostly top piece length.
Still have to look more carefully at both holders and quantify the sizing differences between them; that will allow me to figure where to add up material or not. Maybe just ignoring the small sticker indicating the positioning of the filter is the solution.
Anyway, thanks for pointing that out
Phil

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom