1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Discount on Extended Warranty: Will you get it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lombardispot, Mar 6, 2014.

1. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    Olympus Discount On Extended Warrant for EM-1 Flyer

Anybody think this is a good idea? I usually just save my money from all the extended warranties I could have purchased. With all the money I've saved, I could just outright go and replace whatever product broke. Over the years, I skipped buying service or extended warranties on my BMW, Television, Cameras, Washing Machine, Dishwasher, etc. I've saved perhaps a 5,000 or more on NOT purchasing warranties. I've spent perhaps $2000 on fixing things (mainly car). But in the end I've come out ahead.

But $69 sure is a cheap deal. Should I break my principles and buy this warranty? Anybody out there jumping on this?

• Like Like x 3
  2. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    I just did. I can't recall purchasing an extended warranty on anything before, but opted to do so this time. Generally I purchase electronics with my AMEX which doubles the warranty, so I usually assume I'm good for 2 years given that most items have a 1 year warranty. But 180 days (assuming the AMEX doubles the 90 day warranty) seems short to me. Also, based on the feedback I've received thus far, I'll likely purchase the 4 year extended warranty on any expensive lens I've purchased refurbished (e.g., 12-40mm, 75mm). Those are also discounted through this promotion.

3. kimo

kimo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Colorado
    kimo
    For me, this was an easy decision. I have been considering purchasing the warranty at full price but the discount sealed the deal. I will probably do the same for my growing collection of m4/3 lenses.

I've been through the Nikon gauntlet before. Five of my six Nikon cameras have required repair either during or after the normal warranty period. I did not purchase an extended warranty for any of them. The shutter has been replaced in my D40 (out of warranty), D7000 (in warranty), and D600 (in and out of warranty). In fact, the D600 is in route to Nikon for its third shutter replacement (out of warranty but the expense will be covered by Nikon). My D90 had an intermittent error at start-up that left the camera inoperable. Not wanting to send Nikon another $200 to fix, I gave the camera to a friend. If they get it fixed, the camera is theirs to keep. Since 2008, I've spent around $400 out of pocket to fix my Nikons out of warranty. This is part of the reason I've moved to Olympus. I don't want my Olympus experience to be tarnished by an expensive repair bill just a month out of warranty. $70 up front is a reasonable fee to keep it going for another two years.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    There was a deal on the extended warranty for the E-M5 after I bought it and I took it; Olympus offers 1 free cleaning and adjustment service at any time within the warranty period so I figured I would break with my long standing tradition and get the warranty.

(I also determined that the E-M5 would be in the stable for the duration before I purchased the warranty).

Normally I don't purchase extra warranties, but in this singular case it seemed to be a reasonable path to take.

Regards,

Jim

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The key is that it is from Olympus........not Bubba's Used TV and Bait Shop.

6. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    Cool! Bought it for my EM1. Thanks

7. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP.

I think I will pick it up for my bodies.

8. Phil Holland

Phil Holland Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2012
    Anyone know if this is good with the refurbs from their online store?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    Yes, it will work with the refurbished products.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Phil Holland

Phil Holland Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2012
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If one is going to purchase an extended warranty, it should be only from the manufacturer of the product. In this case, $69 for a real Oly warranty is a good deal. But nothing beats Pentax's $20 extended warranty (an extra two years for a total of three) with a free camera check-up during that period thrown in. Actually, MSRP on the Pentax warranty is somewhat higher. But they can be readily purchased from B&H, Adorama and elsewhere for $20.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    The answer I can't seem to find (guess I need to call Olympus) is is it a two year EXTENDED warranty (as in 1 yr standard, plus 2 year extension for a total of three years) or is it only a two year warranty (extending the original to two years).

Anyone know for sure? I just bought an E-M1, am thinking about it but also looking at Squaretrade which can be had for two years that includes damage coverage for just under $200.

The free cleaning/adjustment does certainly add value for $69.

13. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    • Like Like x 2
  14. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Question - how do you register these extended warranties? Is it done online through serial numbers or do you have to send in all your paperwork?

15. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    where do you put in the rebate code. looks like I'm all set to pay full price?

16. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    At the very bottom, left part of the page showing your shopping cart you'll see a section labelled Discount Codes. Enter it there.

17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Ordered a set today. :biggrin:

18. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    $55 for my refurbished EP5. Since it cost like $130 for any repair (including a sensor cleaning) I don't see how this is a bad deal since it includes a free cleaning.

19. nikonshutter16

nikonshutter16 New to Mu-43

Jan 24, 2014
    Anybody know how ext. warranty get registered? and does it apply for product bought used from original owner but within original warranty period? In my case, I want to get ext. warranty for a 7 month old E-P5 that I bough used.

20. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If you are registering a new body, there is a place at the bottom of the online form to put the extended warranty number. The number is on the bottom of the folding card that Olympus will mail you when your order the warranty. You don't have to register the warranty. You do need to keep the original receipt as proof of purchase plus the extended warranty card in class you have to mail in the body for a repair or cleaning.