Olympus Discontinues FL-50R Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Clint, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I guess they discontinued this flash unit about a month ago, no notification of any kind!

Since the demise announcement of 4/3s I've been disillusioned with Olympus. About the time I start to set that aside, they keep finding ways to keep me in doubt.

In August I decided I needed another flash unit but I opted for a Metz Mecablitz 64 AF-1, as it had the same or little more output, a built in synch connection, and an option for high voltage battery and cables are available!

The little things are adding up quickly Olympus!
  2. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I've been expecting Olympus to replace the FL-50R with a new model. Panasonic replaced the FL-500 with FL-580 last year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I was surprised Olympus didn't replace it. When I looked at the FL-580 it looked like a cross between the FL-500 and the DMW-FL360L and still without a sync or battery pack option.

But if Olympus wants to pursue the professional market they need to add sync and battery pack options. However, they've lost one customer in regards to flash - unless it tops the Metz 64 AF-1.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    You're upset they discontinued a flash that you thought was not up to market standards, and which you chose not to buy? Maybe Oly also realized it's outdated?
  5. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Great flashes ..... WAYYYY better than Nikon's SB900's ..... couldn't keep those suckers cool .... enjoy your Metz flash .... great equipment too ...
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Yes, but where is the replacement? The FL600 is no replacement for that flash.
  7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I was considering sending the Metz back and getting another FL-50r to keep all of the same brand, cables, replacement parts, menus, etc. when I found that Olympus discounted the FL-50r.

No where did I imply the FL-50R was not up to market standards. But because of Olympus (several years ago) there are no high voltage battery cables available for the FL-50r flashes, despite it having a port for such. If the cables would have been available, or if I had more than 1 spare - I would have purchased one! The sync is a nicety but easily dealt with!

A replacement would have been great - and they might have kept one more customer instead of having the customer buy another manufactures product.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    What's with the new flash configuration on the kit flash for the E-M5 Mk II, there's an extra connector on the camera that makes this little gem of a flash work (bounce + swivel) but this flash won't work on any of the older m43's bodies which don't have this extra pin? :coco:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1