1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Digital Teleconverter Samples - post here

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Jul 20, 2014.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The thread on how the Digital Teleconverter (DT) works made me want to try it. As a RAW imager, I would have never thought to try it and most digital zooms just don't work for me. However, I must admit the one on my EP5 must have gotten the same magic dust as the IBIS IMHO. If you've used this setting post your images here. Here are three pseudo brick wall shots for just testing, the first image is with the a raw image at 150mm, the second is a jpg with the DT on. Both images resized to 1920 full frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Just a couple from the 15mm body cap and dct on an E-pm2. This is my pocket outfit for outdoor use.

ujabezev.

raqeryga.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I use Digital TC when I am birding
    this Osprey was 50 yards from me
    I can't complain with the results

EPL-5 75-300 at 300mm and 2X

Osprey-014-07-14_zpsb52a87d3.

4. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    OOPs double post

I use TC when I am out birding
    Osprey at 50 yards

EPL-5 75-300 at 300mm and 2X

Osprey-014-07-14_zpsb52a87d3.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I use DTC as needed when shooting video and it's quite useful. Doubles the range of my 45mm and 85mm lenses.

For stills, I have concluded that I could crop the RAW and get the same image as the 2X JPG, with more latitude to fix things on the RAW if the light was marginal. However, the advantage of DTC is composition so I still use it. It would be harder for me to frame looking at the same scene, knowing I was going to crop the center portion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    I've used the digital teleconverter a few times with my 12-40. I set the button on the lens to the teleconverter function. Decent results.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What you need to do is take a crop from a normal shot and compare that with the digital zoom shot and see if there is a difference. Is the DZ enhancing things in any way, or simply cropping the image as you would in LR, PS or whatever?

• Like Like x 2
  8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes/ I find that the out-of-camera JPG is resampled to the same size as a regular JPG, so it is a larger picture in terms of pixels than a typical crop out of I make out of Lightroom. There are other tools which can resample the RAW though. Next, OOC JPG's from an Olympus are pretty good in good light. You have to do some work in Lightroom to get the same results from a RAW file.

In short, it is a useful tool on the 16MP EM5 and sensor because we're counting on the sensor to deliver when magnified. Less so on the 12MP sensor on an EPM1 because there's less resolution.

• Like Like x 2
  9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    As Harry says you can get the same or slightly better results in LR/PS with some work. But for framing and for a lot of shots the images I think are good up to 13 x 19 prints. I use the 32/64 meg cards so I've just set my EP5 to capture both RAW/JPEG with the DC on (since it only works with JPEGS, this gives me both worlds) since I don't have any space worries.

10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    With DTC the metering is done on the cropped part only. I did an extreme test, black background with white center, and I had one stop of difference in the exposure time (A mode, fixed iso). So it's not the same as cropping in post, even when shooting raw.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Same setup. Handheld so no guarantees about framing or distance although I did aim for minimum focus distance for both shots.

ugu7y5ah.

ne2eryve.

Not going to win any pullet surprises but illustrative. jpegs from an E-pm2 with 14/2.5.

12. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
  13. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah