olympus dial issue--really a issue or not?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Nov 29, 2015.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    so i'm new to olympus and am loving the cameras and lenses. yesterday i came across some threads about the purported dial issues. based solely on forum reports, you'd think all olympus cameras have a serious problem w/ the dial failing to register with the bodies, i.e. the body doesn't respond properly when the user turns the front or rear dial. but i'm guessing people who have encountered this problem are more likely to post about it than folks who haven't had any dial issues.

so i'm wondering what you take it...how widespread do you think this is? so far, i've not had any issues.
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Of course some people have had it - several in the early days of the E-M1.
    Many people, like me, have not had it, and would not normally even bother to look at a thread with that title.
    So trying to ask here will tell you nothing statistically.
    People who had it, have also had it fixed.
    Don't worry about it. All devices have problems.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    I wish I'd not clicked on the thread. Lesson learned. I think I'm going to get an extended warranty and try to forget about it.
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You could buy used, chances are the problem would have shown up already. I bought a used one with about 10,000 in the shutter count from somebody who had two and was selling to fund the 7-14 f/2.8. No problems whatsoever.
  6. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    The rear dial on my E-P5 became unresponsive when it was a month old (and I was on a holiday in Europe). I spent an hour on the coach reconfiguring the dials and buttons and just kept using it. The front dial did the same six months ago. Olympus Australia fixed it promptly on both occasions. (We get 2 years warranty in Australia included with the camera.)

Can't say that it bothered me. It's still a fine camera.

As others have said - don't let it worry you.
  7. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I bought an E-M1 used that supposedly did not suffer from the rear dial unresponsiveness but suddenly did as soon as I held it in my hands. I was severely dismayed at first and was going to send it in for repair, but eventually decided to let it go. The spinning trick seems to work for me so I just have to "warm up" my rear wheel before each photo session and then it's no longer a problem.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've had two E-M1 bodies and a grip both have it happen however Olympus generally has a very fast turn around on repairs and I don't consider it a serious problem. The bodies seem less durable in finish than older Olympus cameras however and tend to show external wear early in their life (Compared to OM or E-series).
  9. miikka

miikka New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2014
    I bought the Mitakon 25mm and had to replace my trusty old E-M5 with E-P5. My old camera had ~20000 shutter clicks. Now my new one has ~2500 and the rear dial is already disfunctioning. It will not register every click. Is this problem only with E-P5 and E-M1? I thought that I would be able to keep the E-P5 for many long years, but this makes me question it. Sad that the two my favourite cameras from current olympus line up suffers this. I'm going to get it serviced by warranty but I don't really know what camera to buy next when the E-P5 completely fails, as I'm not going go buy new camera (so something from current m43 line up, in the future).
  10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Front dial on my E-P5 got worse and worse at responding to the point where it became unusable, sent it in for repair, took them weeks to fix it, got it back ... worked for a bit, then messed up exactly the same way after a few weeks and almost zero actual use (if it even lasted 100 actual clicks I would be surprised).

Olympus are terrible.
  11. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    I bought a 2nd hand EPL-5, yes the rear dial become jumpy and would skip some menu items; very annoying! I read up that it was due to oxidization of the contacts, and that turning the wheel vigorously 20 times in each direction would fix it; and it did! A year later and still working fine.

Also bought a 2nd hand EM5 (low shutter count of 700), and the rear control dial just fell off and was lost. I sent it to Olympus to put on a new one, no proof or purchase and outside of warranty period, and they fixed it for free. I wonder if that's an acknowledgement that this is a common issue?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's a fairly minor issue in the big scheme of things, but it's pretty annoying nonetheless. My E-M1 had the problem but Olympus repaired it promptly under warranty. So far the new one is working fine. I'm hoping it's just a problem with the early revision of the part.
  13. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Never had a problem myself nor my dad who was an EM1 too, but have read a decent share of others who did. Of course it's probably a vocal minority (rightfully so) that bring these up, but I don't think it's super prevalent and I think they have stood behind fixing them, but YMMV.
  14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    The wife and I have 4 E-M1s between us. No problems with dials.
  15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The rear dial on my EPL5 would occasionally be erratic. Twirling it and putting a few drops of Eclipse Lens cleaners into it seemed to help. Finally, the LCD went out, In hindsight, maybe I should have junked it, but I had the LCD fixed, and added a complaint about the dial. They fixed both, at my expense as camera was out of warranty.

The mode dial on my EM5 would often often jump into different modes. It was quite a hindrance in the field. I finally had it fixed this summer, at my expense. Added a complaint about the EVF eyepiece falling out. They fixed the mode dial, gave me a new eyepiece, and replaced both the top and bottom covers. Five months later, I go to use an external flash for the first time in a year. No flash. I sent it back, asking if maybe they had not reconnected the hot shoe. They put a new hot shoe in under the warranty from the earlier repair.

So that's $300 spent on Olympus camera repairs this year.

And the clock battery on my EPM1 no longer works after 3 years of ownership. Not getting that fixed.
  16. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    I have an EM5 and a dial fell off on a dive trip to Bali. Glued it back on with super glue and it fell off again in the housing. Phoned Olympus and they said that they use a Japanese glue called Super X to fix the problem.

Bought a small tube of super X from Japan cost about $20 and fixed it. No more problems. WARNING: This glue although excellent needs only a small amount to fix it, too much and you could lock the whole dial.

I would not be without this glue it is the best glue I have ever used. I glued on a small brass handle on a prayer table having tried several times to fix it and this is the only glue that worked.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    The rear dial on my E-M5 fell off while I was on vacation in Belgium. Thankfully I found the dial and the next morning popped down to the store and bought some Krazy Glue and fixed it. I'm a little cheesed off that I had to spend part of my holidays fixing my camera, but at least it wasn't a catastrophic fail...interestingly enough, the year before that I was in Switzerland with my then-brand new E-M5...and on the second day the eye cup fell off and was lost forever in the Swiss Alps...that was a little annoying haha. :p
  18. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I own two E-M1s. The older one has rear dial that skipped occasionally in playback mode for more than a year, but recently started skipping more often than not in all modes. I will send it for repair.
  19. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    just had to send my recently purchased EM-1. i tried to do the workaround of rapid turning of the dial but was SOL. so off to Olympus repair. At least my EP5 came in and I have that to use.
  20. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I found out that after over a year of rapid turning, the skipping has reached the point of annoyance that requires a repair. After 3 years and 3 major FW releases shutter shock is finally cured & IBIS is really good. Sigh...