Olympus deal window ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hazebegone, Apr 3, 2012.

1. hazebegone

hazebegone Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Hi all, new member here, thank you!

A question to Ned or anyone really informed on Olympus pricing!

I have been reading some of the reviews/questions on this site and others places online trying to decide on what camera to buy, I have not made up my mind 100% but I wanted to ask this question first and I will post another regarding what to buy.

2 days ago Olympus deals on its cameras were stopped, I also noticed that Sony also had a deal going at the same time and it was stopped at the same time, my question is, based on history, when should I expect a deal again from Olympus? is there any chance in April? how possible?

The camera in mind is Olympus E-PM1, and in second place Sony NEX-C3 although it seems no one is recommending the second, I will ask a question regarding these two but for now my question is about price.

Have a sunny day :smile:

2. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Depends where you live - the £50 cashback offer on the E PL3 and E PM1 goes on 'til April 30th in the UK and Eire, with some exceptional offers on lenses and accessories as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

If you'd be interested in a refurb, Cameta has the E-PM1 w/ 14-45mm for $330 ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. hazebegone

hazebegone Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Hi NickLeon, thanks for answering,

Indeed, well I am trying to order my camera from USA and I have a friend currently vacating there, he'll bring it back with him, so I am looking at USA prices, prices in UK are very high, less than here but very high compared to USA, we are almost in the same bought :smile:

Hi CarlB, thanks for the suggestion,

Generally I prefer new stuff, they never explain whats wrong with the product or whats missing when it is "refurbed", and in many cases the problem is still there and since I live outside USA I can't take chances, but I am getting it as a gift so it is out of the question.

To All (update):

Well I was going to buy Olympus because they claim to have a worldwide warranty service but when I e-mailed them they said that there is no assigned agent in my country so no warranty for my country- although we have a distributor. actually this is the case for all brands here, except maybe Asus and Samsung, I think...

I also went to the market and was able to test Sony NEX-C3 & 5N but could'nt find Olympus E-PM1.

So with:

$50 more in price
    "no warranty"
    E-pm1 noise
    not able to test E-PM1

I am almost over Olympus, I think I will go with Sony, I have some question to ask to be 100% sure and will ask it in a new thread.

5. Bamamike

Bamamike Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Koblenz, Germany
    Why is everybody claiming the noise issue against the other systems. It may be one stop, so what. What did we do in the old film days, 1200 ISO was great, with a lot of limitations, now everbody needs all the sudden ISO 25000.
    ISO is imho overrated, the ooc jpeg should be more interesting, not everybody likes to tweak pictures w/ photoshop.
    Cheers,
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    "Sony NEX-C3 although it seems no one is recommending the second"

Ah.., I recommend the NEX C3.

Why not a NEX 3? Check my other thread. It's a bit of a lark, but your friend vacating in the colonies might be able to get a NEX 3 for you for $120-$150. That's less than a 100 quid. He might get super lucky and get a display NEX C3 for the same.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    For multi purpose, low light @ low budget, no plan for EVF, multi lens, high or highest quality lens, I recommend Nex-C3 too. Sony Nex has very good sensor, bad lens choice!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Mu-43 App through GH2, E-P3!

• Like Like x 1
  8. hazebegone

hazebegone Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Hey Mike , thanks for replying!

First of all there is a difference between ISO achieved by Camera and noise, I personally see absolutely no point in high ISO if noise was high too.

Obviously in most cases, a camera manufacturer won't include a high ISO in their camera unless they were proud of their nose level but sometimes like in E-PM1 case, I don't understand why they include a 12800 ISO with such high noise quality ???

The problem with Olympus is not that it can't reach a certain ISO,in fact both NEX-C3 and E-PM1 have the same maximum sensitivity of ISO 12,800 but the problem with E-PM1 is the noise level.

Starting from ISO 400 you can see the noise with E-PM1 and it increases to a bad level in ISO 3200, from ISO 3200 to 12800 you won't get a nice JPEG unless you are looking for anything close to something called a picture, of course no one is expecting a lot from a micro 4/3 sensor with a "budget" price compared to a bigger sensor, it is already not a fair game!

So you ask why need high ISO, well for me for example, every time I use my compact Camera indoor, it jumps to ISO 400 and above, and these pictures are just useless (The ISO 400 one are grainy and the 800 and more are for the trash) and at the same time I HATE pictures with flash on, they look ugly and unnatural.

We are lucky to live in these times were we have so much power and technology in a reasonable price compared to old times but that is no reason to settle for less when other competitors are giving us something more! :tongue:

Hey lenshoarder, thanks for replying,

I couldn't find what does "lark" mean or what do you mean by it :redface: but I have decided on the Sony Nex-C3 :smile:

Regarding the price, yes I heard and contrary to my knowledge that you might find a better deal in real stores compared to shopping online (if you are lucky) but I am ordering it and paying for it online and shipping it to his staying place but it does not seem to be working, all reputable online stores are closed for Pass over holiday and all orders will ship starting 15th/16th April and with an expected delay from verification or so I am afraid it might not reach him on time, he is leaving on 20th (or maybe reaching home on 20th) :rolleyes:

Hey Zanr Zij, thanks for replying,

Yes Zanr Zij, I also have decided on NEX-C3 ...

If I had a 24 hours to test both of them maybe I will change my mind but I don't have this pleasure and therefore I am going with reviews, samples, and facts sheet :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    All reputable stores? Some. Basically only some of the ones based in NYC or Jersey are run by hasidic and close on certain days. There are plenty of reputable online retailers that will get it to your friend in a day. Amazon, Newegg, Frys. There are too many to mention.

Lark as in there are no guarantees. Whether the store will have them or what the price will be. It's a clearance. If your friend is in the US, then he'll probably have a Target, Sears and Best Buy close at hand. All of those stores have been blowing out the NEX 3 for sub $200. Some Best Buys have been selling off their display NEXi as well. Thus the possibility of getting a C3 for dirt cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hazebegone

hazebegone Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Thank you lenshoarder for your replies!

A month ago I was expecting to buy the camera from Amazon but it seems very hard to find all you need sold directly by amazon especially if you want a certain lens or a certain color or an older model camera (Not 5N or 7) instead you have to deal with stores that you won't choose normally if you were shopping online and they don't even have a good rating on Amazon or resellerratings and this is just half of the problem!

Why do I find the original battery of NEX-C3 on Amazon with less than perfect score, it is the original battery and it should be perfect, except of course some people wanting more from Sony, but the bad reviews are talking about fakes and counterfeit products, DOA products! you don't see such reviews at all (not single one) on B&H for example ? The scores are excellent there, B&H doesn't control them because you can see low scores there for other products but never for being fakes or DOA :rolleyes:

Same story for memory cards, people saying that the product doesn't match description or pictures, DOA, fakes, etc...

And I already heard about the fake CPUs on Amazon some time ago which was shocking!

This relation between Amazon and other stores is destroying its reputation (for me at least).

E-bay - for me - is an official scamming site, yes I know some people are taking there business there and dealing with some nice sellers with perfect rating but I have read horrible stories too, sellers selling empty boxes and making sure to describe that trying to get away with that legally :mad:

I tried the online sites of Target and similar stores, not cheap, on Target NEX-3 (not C3) is selling for $500, you have to bargain hunt to find the prices you are talking about, visit the store every couple of days maybe.

Don't get me wrong, where I live NEX-C3 is selling for $880 and getting it for $200 .... wow a real dream :eek: but I am not there myself to bargain hunt :rolleyes: so I am willing to pay the normal price from the least trouble causing place