1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus D E-5 inbody IS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Carl, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Carl

Carl New to Mu-43

Jul 4, 2013
    I am new to this forum so please be patient if my questions seem trivial.
    I have just bought this Olympus and I was so disappointed with the IS that I thought it was malfunctioning. I sent it back to the dealer and got a new one but the problem persists.
    I have a 45mm 1.8, 12mm 2.0 and Panasonic 30-100mm. I have tried 1,2,3 and factory settings and IS off. When I look in the viewfinder the view is shaky, I see no real difference with the IS on or off. But with the panasonic lens the view gets rock steady with the lens IS on but with the Olympus IS off it gets shaky. The picture I have viewed show a clear difference too
    I have read that the Olympus IS system works well but on my cameras it has been so disappointing.
    It is hard to believe that two cameras should have the same IS problem so have I missed something?

Carl

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
  3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Sensor-based (in body) IS does not affect the image that you see through the viewfinder, only the actual image taken. Lens-based IS will affect the image through the viewfinder, because you are looking through the stabilized lens. That said, the E-M5's in-body image stabilization is incredibly effective.

Edit: interesting, didn't know that you can turn it on.

Edit 2: appears to be only after a half press of the shutter release (or in magnified view). Is that the same with in-lens IS? Never really took notice one way or the other.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    With the early firmware, the OM-D IS was on all the time the camera was turned on and it helped stabilize any image you could see in the VF, but one of the firmware updates (I don't recall which one), modified the operation of the camera so that the IS only activated with the shutter release was half-pressed (or pressed fully).

It is possible I suspect that you tested one of the cameras with the early firmwares and thought that they were all supposed to work like that. But you should have seen that change (and heard the noise of the IS) in the newer camera whenever you had the shutter half-pressed. Was this the case?

5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That was originally the case, but it is no longer - newer IBIS implementations can be engaged on shutter half-press, so the VF will be stabilized so long as it is read off the sensor (and advantage of EVFs over OVFs).

All OIS systems have the option of remaining engaged continuously (without shutter half-press), but most also have the option to engage only when the shutter is pushed. Olympus unfortunately doesn't support this with Panasonic OIS lenses, but on Panasonic bodies it's there.

7. Carl

Carl New to Mu-43

Jul 4, 2013
    Thank you very much! Now it works

Carl