Olympus Customizability!!!

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Just re-acquired an EM5 mark ii and found that I was continually knocking the front exposure comp. dial off my selected setting.
After a bit of menu diving I came up with this solution.
1. Change the front dial setting to flash compensation. I rarely use the flash and without it mounted the dial spins without having any effect on the camera settings.
2. Change the HDR button [never use it for HDR] to exposure comp.
When this button is pressed either dial can be used to change the exposure.
Problem solved!! :yahoo:
The Oly menu takes a bit work to figure but I find it has lot more options than the simpler Pana layout.

Last edited:

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
It took me a while to make the eM1 Classic put AF on a front-facing button. Once I managed it, the camera was sufficient to kill my search for the ideal camera for me.

"for a little while" - Theoden to Meriadoc, and me to the siren calls of modern camera tech..

Sometimes it the simplest setting changes that make the biggest difference
I spent hours (still do) watching Rob Trek videos to get mine the way it is. Still room for improovment ut much better for me than out of the box.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Problem solved!! :yahoo:
The Oly menu takes a bit work to figure but I find it has lot more options than the simpler Pana layout.
I found that I wasn't able to setup the EM5.2 the way I liked and was happy when I switched to a G85. That's one of things I like about micro four thirds: two different design approaches within the same system.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would never do that.
The two main dials are way to important, to change to something I’d never use.
Av select, front dial.
Exp comp, rear dial.
Well almost every pic I’ve ever taken, I’ve used these dials...

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
I.B.
Yes, oly's has more options that you could tweak than the more simpler and quickly learnable pana's., but, more complicated and quite hard to remember the right place of some settings,..
thus, for m43 camera i tend to chooce pana at the most of the time, because in the most of the time i need and want a simpler things...

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Of course there is no 'best' menu.
I was using Panasonic for the last six months or so and didn't feel disadvantaged.
I was impressed though, when returning to an Oly body, to find a customizable solution to my particular problem.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Of course there is no 'best' menu.
I was using Panasonic for the last six months or so and didn't feel disadvantaged.
I was impressed though, when returning to an Oly body, to find a customizable solution to my particular problem.
The thing that my EM5.2 couldn't do was allow both a half-press of the shutter **OR*** a press of the back button to activate AF (ie: AF-ON). With the Oly I could assign that function to only one of those controls at a time. But I wanted that function to be available to both controls at the same time because I often switch between the two.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
The thing that my EM5.2 couldn't do was allow both a half-press of the shutter **OR*** a press of the back button to activate AF (ie: AF-ON). With the Oly I could assign that function to only one of those controls at a time. But I wanted that function to be available to both controls at the same time because I often switch between the two.
Instinctively, I'd think that wasn't available on any camera?
But I bet I'm wrong! :speechless:

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I change exposure compensation the most frequently, so I found the rear dial being assigned to aperture and front dial assigned to exposure compensation extremely annoying when I first got E-M1 II, so I switched their positions so I can use the thumb more. But that ability is probably not unique to the Olympus system.

I don't think I ever accidentally changed aperture because of the front dial.

I wish there was the option to set aperture steps to full stops with each turn of the dial. F4.0 -> F5.6 -> F8.0 -> F11, etc. Coming from C-7070WZ with aperture range of F2.8-F11, to E-M1 II + 12-100mm with much wider aperture range of F4-F22 is still taking getting used to, and I'm not sure 1/3 stop precision is as important anymore.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I change exposure compensation the most frequently, so I found the rear dial being assigned to aperture and front dial assigned to exposure compensation extremely annoying when I first got E-M1 II, so I switched their positions so I can use the thumb more. But that ability is probably not unique to the Olympus system.
Mine is set up the exact opposite, with EC always on the rear wheel

I don't think I ever accidentally changed aperture because of the front dial.

I wish there was the option to set aperture steps to full stops with each turn of the dial. F4.0 -> F5.6 -> F8.0 -> F11, etc.
There is. Cogs>E1>EV STEP. Change value to 1, 1/2 or 1/3.

Mine is 1/2 by default on all my bodies.
Coming from C-7070WZ with aperture range of F2.8-F11, to E-M1 II + 12-100mm with much wider aperture range of F4-F22 is still taking getting used to, and I'm not sure 1/3 stop precision is as important anymore.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Instinctively, I'd think that wasn't available on any camera?
But I bet I'm wrong! :speechless:
Yes, always bet against your instincts. ;-)
Panasonic allows that, Nikon allows that, too. For that matter, I can do the same thing on my Fuji as well.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom