1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Crisis, What The Accountants Are Saying

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goldenlight, Nov 9, 2011.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I stumbled across a forum for Japanese accountants and investment managers today. Predictably the main topic of conversation was Olympus. Oh yes, there was heated debate about whether the 12mp sensor in the E-P3 was sufficient or should Olympus have gone with the Panasonic 16mp sensor. Noise at higher ISO was another contentious issue and there was a lengthy discussion about whether or not the E-P5 would have a built in EVF. There was also a number of stunning pictures posted to demonstrate the quality of Olympus JPEGs and a very strong entry to the Picture of the Month Competition, the theme of which ironically was “Guilty Secrets.”

But wait, shouldn’t they have been discussing the company’s liquidity, the plunging value of its shares, the likelihood of a hostile take-over and the ramifications of two decades of false accounting? No, we’re doing a pretty good job of all that on the photo forums, so they can just get on with enjoying their photography. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Gosh John, I hope that you didn't fall after that stumble!!

3. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Haha, I often do these days, Bill. :biggrin:

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Photographers talking spreadsheets and accountants talking ISO - The world is upside down!

• Like Like x 1
  5. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    No wonder they were incapable of auditing Olympus. They were busy pixel peeping :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  6. jay360o

jay360o New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2011
  7. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not to be harsh, but coming from an Olympus user perspective, I personally don't really care for what's going on at the corporate level. They seemed to be doing just fine when this was swept under the rug. They were keeping afloat and that's fine with me!

9. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC

You say you don't care, but they are at risk of getting delisted from the Tokyo Stock Exchange.., which means this could be bad for Olympus users like yourself and the people here! :frown:

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, that's why I blame Woodford for creating this mess! :mad:

11. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sometimes the truth hurts

12. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Now, now. The whole purpose of this thread was to make the point that we photographers are perhaps getting too involved with the financial shenanigans of the company, which is arguably best left to the regulators, auditors, investigators, accountants and police to sort out.

When I'm out taking pictures with my E-P3 I don't stop to think "I wonder how the share price is doing today and I hope Olympus aren't delisted" every time I press the shutter! Similarly, I wouldn't expect an auditor to think, when he uncovers yet more fraudulent dealing, "This is bad but it's how the sensor resolves at ISO 6400 that really matters."