1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus coming out with a fisheye?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by DeeJayK, Jun 28, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    A link on 43Rumors.com sent me to this database of micro four-thirds lenses which shows (towards the bottom of the page) that Olympus is planning to release an 8mm fisheye sometime this year. If this upcoming (rumored?) lens has been discussed on this forum, I must have missed it.

If it's true it's mildly disappointing to me that Olympus is choosing to allocate their resources to develop such a lens since the Panasonic 8mm and the Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheyes would seem to have that position pretty well covered already.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It was the fisheye conversion lens (FCON-P01) that was announced alongside the E-PL2 last January. Same for the macro and wide lenses on the roadmap for 2011.

m_zuiko_roadmap-b.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Are you sure? Because that converter was released in early 2011, so I wouldn't think it would be included on this list as a "planned" release, since this resource otherwise appears to be up-to-date (the other lenses listed as planned have all been confirmed or all but confirmed). Also that converter only allows an ~10mm focal length, and the list doesn't appear to include any information about any of the other various converters that are available.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That was the only Olympus fisheye reference I've ever seen (the roadmap), either on 43rumors or elsewhere.

I guess it's possible that they have another fisheye option planned, though as you said before, it'd be a pretty silly thing to waste R&D on given the 4 existing options.

DH

5. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I hope Oly puts one out and that it's circular instead of diagonal (like the panny). I love my Panny 8mm but have been wanting a circular fisheye for a while.