Olympus Color From Panasonic Camera?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Cassady, May 21, 2012.

1. Cassady

Cassady New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    I have two :43: cameras: an Olympus E-P3 and a Panasonic GX1. I like both of these cameras, but find that I really like the color in the Olympus jpegs.

I just got Lightroom 4 today, hoping that I could get close to the same color from my GX1 as I do from the E-P3. I'd prefer not to have the camera that an image was made with be obvious because of the colors and my preference would be to process the Panasonic RAW files to get something close to the Olympus jpegs.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

2. fullbanani

fullbanani Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Berlin, GER
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  5. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    After studying/trying the links above, I would try creating your own presets by shooting similar scenes with both.

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ya know...this has been a bone of contention for a long time. It seems that Oly has this magic jpeg processor and the Panny's are struggling with a steady color palate.
    I have to agree but then there's always this to consider....
    PLEASE, NO ONE TAKE OFFENSE ON THIS IDEA. IT IS STRICTLY MINE AND NOT TO START A WAR.
    I see the OLY as producing a very generic acceptable color palate. Oh yeah, the jpegs are awesome, no denying it but most look the same.
    The Panny's take more work to get a standard that becomes acceptable to the user.
    For me and some others, it's a good thing because it forces one to find their own color palate and look.

There isn't really a generic Panasonic look, that is acceptable. So, I would recommend to work at the appearance you are trying to find and forget about any generic acceptable palate. Nik Plugins will get you there. It's very easy to find ones own look.

I will make myself available at the hanging tree at high noon.
    Don

• Like Like x 3
  7. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    This might be an extra step in post-processing, but can't you run RAWs from the GX1 through Oly's software on the desktop. I remember reading that the software processes RAWs into JPEGs exactly like the camera would.

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The only raw files that Studio will do are Olympus' proprietary .orf files. So trying to send Pany raw files through Olympus software isn't going to work.

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Well, I don't use Olympus cameras for the jpegs but because I like the cameras. The jpegs are nice, but I have red dialed out of every Olympus digital camera I own; if I don't I get pink asphalt, etc. Even as a color film printer I HATED any suggestion of pink (red or magenta) in the neutral colors. I usually process the raw files (shooting raw & jpeg) but still set the jpeg settings for what I like. And what I like is not default color straight out of the camera. It's not that I like cold necessarily, I just find Olympus jpegs too red for what I want. I'll meet you at the hanging tree.

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Aw dad gummit Don, now you done gone and started yerself a kerfuffle. :eek

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Panasonic colors are fine and can be tweaked in post, it's Olympus' metering ability that is the key difference between the two in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I would like to try this preset in here, but the link isn't working for me. Google translate is screwing up the link to the download. :(

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes, I too am a Panasonic user and wish i could get Olympus colors. I always shoot in raw and spend much of time messing with the colors and any type of preset i tried to make on my own , I'm never happy with , so i adjust each photo (when i care about the photo)
    I really enjoyed the thread on here about the huelight, but alas I still use a Panasonic G1 and it was not listed for use with that .

14. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    If you go to the untranslated page here you can scroll down and the link is there, along with a paragraph in English.

15. I think there's some good advice here. Differences in Jpeg output don't mean that much to me so I won't comment about the merits of either. Processing is a great leveler between cameras, colours included. I find that starting for a RAW file there is nothing fundamental that stops me from making the colours from a Panasonic look like an Olympus, a Canon, etc. Color Efex in particular is a great way to find the look you're after.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think the Huelight profiles for Lightroom are the way to go. I often also use Alien Skin Exposure 3 to get the colors I want.

17. Cassady

Cassady New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    Thanks!

I'm going to work with the Huelight camera filters (maybe if I use them for both the E-P3 and the GX1, I'll get output that looks the same between the two cameras) and try the Chromodesk preset (if I can get it to work with LR4).

I appreciate all the advice.

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    You know I was thinking about this very thing. In fact I have said that very same thing in other threads. Yet I cannot think of a single Olympus body I would rather have instead of my GH2 (including the OMD). I don't dislike Olympus cameras. I still have an E-P1. The superior metering and superior AWB of the Olympus bodies however has not enough to overcome the things that I prefer about the Panasonic bodies such as handling and comfort. I guess it just depends what each of us determines is important for us.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    You betcha, Kevin. I wish I could pour the guts of any of my Olympus cameras (yes, any, including my OMD) into a G2 body. then I'd be in m-4/3 paradise.

:eek:

Of course, (standard disclaimer) YMMV, and I don't plan to join Don under the hanging tree. (BTW-- he wasn't there at noon when I stopped by to see if he'd show up :biggrin: .)