1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Capture Tehering

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OzRay, Sep 23, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Olympus Capture Tethering

I thought it might be worthwhile to have a separate posts just about the Olympus Capture, where all information, experiences etc can be located.

Bugger! Missed a letter in the heading.

• Like Like x 2
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My first impression is that this is very good. The signal feed is very positive and clear, with no jittering etc as I watch my hands typing right now.

The image shown on the screen is bright and clear, and manual focusing shouldn't be a problem. The controls are very comprehensive, a full SCP at the ready, with even flash control for the FL50Rs. The only thing that I haven't been able to work out (if it's available), is the ability to view the shot just taken.

I'm just downloading the software onto my tablet to see how it work on that platform.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It works just as well on my tablet, but I'd say that in something like a Surface, it would shine. Considering the less than powerful tablet that I have, it performed surprisingly well, no lag etc, but I did have to increase the native resolution so that I could see the entire screen, but still couldn't see the control panel and view screen at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, Olympus Capture Tehering, I mean tethering :wink: works fine. :smilie:

I assigned mine to (the updated 1.4) OV3 & also (by default) there is a large thumbnail view in the lower left screen of the photo taken (in Oly Capture).

I don't know if I can zoom EZ lenses though (as it does in WiFi on the iPad), but maybe it is designed for those manual zoom Pro lenses. :rolleyes:

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Ah, yes, turning on OV3 allows immediate review. I'd also say that protracted use of the capture program would almost require an external power source for the camera. I wonder if Olympus has given thought to a battery adapter that allows connection to a 12V/240V source?

The zoom with my lenses works fine, as good as always. ;)

6. Ross the fiddler

You can add power the way they have provided; http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Accessories/PEN-Power-Batteries/AC-3-AC-Adapter.aspx
    with this; http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/...eries/HLD-7-Battery-Holder-Grip-for-E-M1.aspx

And you can change hands without losing a ...... Oh, never mind. :wink:

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  8. Ross the fiddler

Apart from removing the battery door, there isn't any removable seal allowing a cable entry like they have done on the base of the Stylus 1 camera (& probably others, not that there any powered dummy batteries availble for it, except what they may have themselves for servicing), so I think you'll just have to keep on wishing.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I don't need the door to be sealed, just to be able to insert a dc adapter. Note that the battery door on the E-M1 is designed to be removed, so Olympus could easily produce a replacement that include the necessary cable duct.

10. Ross the fiddler

Go for it! Make one.

Buy an elcheapo battery & generic power supply, a 3 legged voltage regulator mounted on a heatsink, maybe 2200 uF capacitor, a 100 uF capacitor & a couple of resistors (voltage divider) to bootstrap the regulator & Bob's your uncle. Jaycar might have what you want off the shelf for the power supply.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've already got the basics made already, dissected battery etc. I just have to work out the proper way to assemble the external wiring etc. I just need to get a thingamabob, to connect the whatchamacallit, so the doohickie and combobulator don't conflict.

12. Ross the fiddler

Look up power supply circuit design ideas through Jaycar & the electronic magazines & you should come up a suitable doovalacky to do the job.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    So says someone who isn't risking their camera blowing up. Next you'll be suggesting that I buy a Sony A7 because of it's greatness. :tongue:

14. Ross the fiddler

No, I wouldn't go that far! :eek:

The main criteria is the V/A or power capacity of the supply at the voltage required (regulated to exactly the battery output, or to be safer, slightly under) with absolutely minimal ripple voltage (best checked with an osciliscope with the power supply at full load, which can be a dummy load), maybe less than 2mV would be fine.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The battery that I dissembled already has the circuit board connected to two, ~3.2+V batteries. There a B- and a B+ terminal going from the batteries to the circuit board and another terminal coming from the other end of the batteries that have been joined. The batteries are clearly connected in series to create ~7.4V that the combination outputs. The Olympus battery is 7.6V. It's not difficult to get an appropriate power supply or high capacity battery to suit, but I'm not sure about the third terminal going to the circuit board and what not having it would do.

16. Ross the fiddler

The third terminal is or should only be for temperature sensing when being charged, but don't quote me on that as the camera does have that third terminal connection. The Olympus power supply is only 2 terminal, as far as I know.

17. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Just tried Capture with E-M5 and it doesn't work!

Moshe

18. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Where did you download Olympus Capture from?

I found a silly bug in Olympus Viewer 1.4. Try Keystone adjustment. They have got vertical and horizontal reversed!

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  20. Ross the fiddler

No, only supported cameras, which is E-M1 at the moment & that is only with the latest 2.0 firmware update.

Maybe it's all about interpretation of what horizontal & vertical is referring to.