1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Canada repair experiences?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TimmerWeb, Nov 6, 2014.

1. TimmerWeb

TimmerWeb Mu-43 Rookie

May 29, 2012
    My EM-5 is looking a little worse for wear. It's over 2 years old, the original eye cup is long gone, and now I've lost the main control dial, the LCD bevel is cracked and there's a chip off the screen itself. So I'm wondering what sort of cost and turn around time I might expect if I send it in to Olympus Canada for repairs. I'm within the group for the bezel recall, but I believe that has expired.

-Tim

2. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    I think they have a flat fee so if you go on the website and fill out the forms it will tell you what it will cost.. think you have to pay first

3. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    My experience with the EM5 LCD screen bezel recall was pretty good. I seem to recall it only taking about 7 days to return Montreal to Vancouver.
    I also sent in a failed flash head and a poorly fitting EM1 battery grip...both warranteed. Turn around was again under 5-7 days.

no complaints.

4. TimmerWeb

TimmerWeb Mu-43 Rookie

May 29, 2012
    My concern is that I am out of warranty and the bezel recall is over, so they could come back to me with a very high repair cost, several hundred bucks even. I kind of wish we had the flat rate repairs like in th US, as least you know exactly what to expects

5. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    I sent my 40-150mm in. I don't remember the exact time that they had it because there were some canada post issues but I think it was a week to 10 days. You have to ok any repairs before they do them, so if it's too expensive you could just get them to send it back to you.

6. ErnieH

ErnieH Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    My experiences were inconsistent to say the least. Turnaround times have always been good, 3-5 days. But on one occasion they discarded my E-PL5 (without prior notification) and told me to buy a new one. I had sent it in only because it was losing date/time settings - otherwise it worked perfectly. I was shocked. After some discussion they replaced it with a refurb which has been perfect.

I also sent in my 17mm 1.8 because of the ridiculous auto-focus clicking sound in video. Not the repair depot's fault but they stuck to the Olympus line that the noise is "normal". So much for "MSC".

7. TimmerWeb

TimmerWeb Mu-43 Rookie

May 29, 2012
    Thanks for the input folks. I will probably give it a try, since at least it seems the turn around is very quick.

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You don't really have much wrong: lost dial, cracked bezel, and missing eyecup. A chip in the screen ought to be cheap to replace too.

In the USA, they replace shutters on EM5's for the flat rate of $168 USD.

9. trandg

trandg Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Toronto
    David
    Had a good experience getting a broken LCD and bezel repaired via Olympus Canada. Took a dew days and around 150. Came out good as new.

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    ALL of these should be fixed for free by Olympus...since all of these are well documented design/manufacturing defects. If I were you, I'd make my displeasure known. I tried...but have yet to receive a response. :)

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Documented by who? A bunch of folks on an internet forum?

In the real, adult world, you can beg Olympus Canada to be good sports and fix your broken out of warranty camera, or hire a lawyer to make them fix your broken out of warranty camera. Good luck with that. Let us know how it works out.

12. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I would appreciate it if you could discuss this topic without being condescending.

I said *SHOULD*...as in...if Olympus was the kind of company many others are, they would own up to their mistakes and fix it for free. They don't. But they should.

I'd tell you how it works out, but I've tried contacting Olympus a number of ways over the past few weeks about these very issues and have yet to receive a reply.