1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OLYMPUS Canada question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 300spartans, Jun 21, 2013.

1. 300spartans

300spartans New to Mu-43

May 29, 2013
    Hi, I ordered a new camera and accessories from the Olympus Canada website. I of course had to pay the applicable sales tax.

The package arrived and it looks like Olympus Canada actually sends their items from the United States. Canada Customs charged me sales tax on this which is BRUTAL. I am being double taxed.

Has this happened to any other Canadian members? Shouldn't Olympus Canada be up front about where their products are being shipped from? Would they even care if I brought it up with them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I have bought many things directly from Olympus Canada and yes they ship from New York but I have yet to be charged for duty. Sales taxes are often brokered by the shipping company which also charges an additional fee. Camera related stuff is exempt between Canada and US. There may be a processing fee from the shipper who brokered the GST/HST/PST for you, but that's not the duty.

I often use this to calculate how much duty is for items I import from other countries: Canadian Duty Calculator | Cross Border Shopping - Deals, Sales and Coupons for Canadians

Canadian Border Agency used to have a quick list on their site too, but I can't find it anymore. Gotta love the feds, their websites are all so confusing.

Update: Found the CBSA articles on this stuff: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2013/menu-eng.html, the latest update is April 1, 2013.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You're issue is with Olympus "Canada" as they did not document the disclaimer card (a green card affixed to the package) properly. Of course there's usually a shipping invoice also affixed to the package in a plastic pouch and that should show that the tax has already been paid.

What you can do is bring everything down (including invoice) to the Customs office and show that the tax had already been paid.

Of course you should contact Olympus Canada and they should act on your behalf.

Did someone else receive the parcel and didn't know the tax had been paid? Or if it was you why did you not protest the charge?

4. 300spartans

300spartans New to Mu-43

May 29, 2013
    Thanks for your replies. I live in the Canadian Arctic and it took forever for this package to arrive. I paid the charge to get my hands on it I guess rather than risk having no camera. I am also leaving in a few weeks for a year sabbatical to Asia so wanted something in hand.

I suppose I could have challenged the Canada Post agent but doubt it would have led anywhere. I will follow up with Olympus Canada.