1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus camera's expected shutter life [OM-D]

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MMouse, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Hello,

I'm wondering about Olympus's camera expected shutter life, especially for the OM-D serie.
    Panasonic GX7 is announced for 200 000 shots, which is very good.
    I found 100 000 shots for the EM-5 on Olympus's website, but does anyone know something about the EM-1 and EM-10? Did anybody go beyond this 100 000 clicks?

I think the EM-1 may have a better shutter because it is a pro or semi-pro DSLR.
    But is there any differences between the EM-5 and EM-10? I think they are very similar cameras (except about weather sealing and stabilization, the EM-10 is not a really a "cheap" OM-D), so I tend to think the shutter might be the same on the two models, don't you?

I hope the EM-10 is a bit more durable than 50 000 clicks or 30 000 like the E-10...

Thank you for your response
    Best regards,

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Most amateurs won't get anywhere near these figures before the camera becomes obsolete due to technical advances. My E -M5 is now three years old and has done about 15,000 clicks.

3. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Yes I know, I'm not taking a lot of photos, but I'm still interested in this information :)

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Flip the coin, metaphorically speaking, does the shutter mechanism suffer from inactivity? If left for 5 years without use would it still operate satisfactorily? Much depends on the materials used and their compatibility, if metallic parts are in contact, the electrochemical sequence is important for example.
    Best strategy is to use it as and when the mood takes you.

5. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    This is my third E-M5 already (I had two previous ones replaced for free) and I preordered mine when it was released. I've taken ~25 000 shots with them so I'd say the shutter isn't the first thing that is going be broken in these cameras... My first E-M5 had a broken sensor and the second had a broken IBIS.

6. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I only consider myself an amateur and certainly not going to worry about shutter life per se but with 32Gb cards and bigger, high speed burst modes or even just an active day it's nothing unusual for me to shot 1000+ images in one day, yes i know it's a bit spray and pray at times......

7. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Thank you for your response. I usually don't take a lot of photos, but I'm interested in time-lapses, which are requiring sometimes a lot of view.
    I think 100 000 seems reasonable, I may use the half for 2-3 years, but I'm a bit afraid about what I read about the EPL-5: 30 000 clicks only. It's the entry level PEN model and the EM-10 is the entry level OM-D.

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    What's the point of taking a thousand shots if half of them are the same as the ones next to each other? remembering that you gain about a stop of noise reduction* by using single shot there's often more reason (for me personally) to use single (especially in the dark when the ISO starts to go up).

One of the busiest days I've had recently was documenting the process and progress of a project and I only took about 60 pictures over an entire day (composition was key as the shots had to show current and past progress and still have a logical progression, thus lots of staging for very few pictures).

Given how many pictures I take the expected shutter life would see my current cameras last about 4 to 5 years if they fail right on the dot. My main E-M1 is a bit over a year old and has 35k on it and my second body has about 10k.

*=Assuming you have forced dark frame subtraction on all pictures taken, it will slow down refire rate by half (as it takes two pictures, one dark as a dark frame) with single shot however the resulting image will have almost no read noise. Dark frame subtraction will never trigger on sequential so you can quickly switch if needed without changing settings.

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Time lapses are frustrating regarding shutter count however remembering that if the output is 1080p video it's a very small MP image compared to what the sensor captures thus you don't always need to wear out your primary body (an older generation body will be basically indistinguishable once you downsample the image to the 2.1mp needed for 1080p), I wouldn't worry unless the output is for something like a 4k projector where it may start to become noticeable due to the larger screen size.

10. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    i had e-m5 and sold it it had 38.000 clicks - i bet i will do 3x time that, and my friend have 11 months old e-m10 and have about 41.000 clicks and i bet it will have 100.000 in 2y. and it will still work as first day after 100k.. Now i have E-M1 with 8500 clicks and i would say hmmmm 300.000 clicks or more ( expected shutter life )

11. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Sorry, I don't speak English very good, and I made a mistake about time-lapse. I'm not interested in making a video with my shots but I'm thinking about merging some pictures to create one other, like some people do about astrophotography.

I have no fear about my EM-10 because it is a new one.
    But does anyone know about Olympus's shutter replacement conditions (under warranty)? I had the opportunity to buy an EM-5 for a good price, but the owner had got problems with it, including screen and shutter. With only 3 mounths warranty I finally bought an EM-10.

Edit: Thank you for your response VooDoo. I saw a 25 000 click EM-5 and I think I would not have bought it. The EM-1 must have the most durable shutter. I wish the EM-10 has the same as the EM-5 :)

12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    To be honest shutter life is the last of my worries with digital cameras. IMO, something else will break far before the rated shutter life. Secondly, many of us upgrade our cameras for newer ones often enough that again, it's a moot point.

The oldest digital camera I own right now is about 6 years old and I have no worries. If it breaks down, there's a newer version available if the cost of fixing is worth more than the camera is worth.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    First off............when shooting action you have to shoot burst if you want any hope of catching the peek of action, which is about 90% of my photography. An example is the photo series below. I processed every other frame from a 1 second burst (10 shots total), you will see that it takes 1 second for the birds head to go from before strike to having the fish in it's mouth. There is no way you have fast enough reflexes to capture the peek of action when something can move that fast, high speed burst is needed.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Just click away. Don't try to go easy on the camera, It doesn't matter if some marketing guy rates the shutter for 30K or 100K. If the warranty has expired, and the shutter goes bad, you end up paying for it, whether you have 3000 or 30000 clicks. Been there.

And I agree with those who say that something else will usually break first. Been there too.

15. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    What does Olympus tell you when you ask? Their's is the only answer that counts.

16. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Thank you :)

Yes, I send an email to Olympus. I will let you know about their response.

I do not really worry about that, I think my EM-10 would probably last me two or three years before the EM-5 II would be affordable... And before I may be interested in changing my camera, so it is not a real issue for my personal use. With about 100 photos per week, it can last about 5 years even if the shutter is only made for 30 000 clicks.

But I asked the question because I discovered that the EPL-5 and EPL-7, which are sometimes described as "the PEN equivalent of the EM-10" seemed to be tested for about 30 000 clicks only. It is less than I expected from relatively well built cameras (metal body etc...), even if they are "entry level".

17. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    My PEN E 5 have already shutter actuations near 40.000 AND I have it just for 11 months. I shoot a lot, and I like burst shoting.
    When I first saw this shutter actuations thing, I was find these number, and I also a bit worried about it.

But, I think the E P5 series is very well build, and most of things is actually same as in the OMD-EM1.

I think, it's a fabuloues camera, and I'm not worried any more so much. If it goes, it will ... If it last, long live my PEN :)

18. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    that's so few :dance3:. I sold my previous EM5 about 20,000 in 1 year hahahaha. Now i bought again EM5 with cheaper price. Last one i sold around US$ 600. I bought brand new ones US$400:biggrin::biggrin:

19. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    I think the PEN EP-5 must be the most durable PEN because it is the "pro" camera of the serie.
    My question about EM-10 (entry level OM-D camera) is : is the shutter more like the other OM-D (except the EM-1) or more like the EP-L (entry level PEN cameras)?

20. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    I received Olympus's feedback about my message. They can not say anything about shutter's durability and there is no "written" remplacement condition, it depends on the case.

Yes, it would not be difficult for me to buy another EM-10 or EM-5 cheaper in 2 or 3 years. The fact is that a "used" camera with many clicks is not easy to sold. I would personaly not buy a 25 000 clicks camera to save 150 €. :)