Olympus camera with adapted lenses

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
I read that some Olympus cameras provided a list of lenses from which one can pick the lens actually used for shooting for when using a lens that don't "talk" to the camera, but I don't remember when and where I saw that...
Now that I am starting to have a few lenses that don't talk to the camera, I am starting to wish my GX85 would have such a feature!

So maybe I'll have to buy an Olympus camera...
But before that I'd have a few questions on how this is implemented.
1- Is it all Olympus bodies that have this feature or only some - and if not all, which one(s)?
2- Is it only Olympus, or are there other cameras that provide this?
3- How does it work? When changing lens, simply go to the menu and select the lens?
4- How do you define the list of lenses - can this be done from the computer and then loaded to the camera?
5- What information do you provide: name, focal length, max aperture, anything else?
6- How is this used by the camera? - for IBIS?, and does Exif provide the infos to make it possible at PP to know which lens was used?
7- Is it possible to input the actual aperture for individual shots, and see it in Exif?

I guess this is about it for the questions... Thanks for any help.

Since I don't use adapted lenses on my cameras, I can't answer any question first hand. However Rob Trek has two videos about setting up adapted lenses on an Olympus Pen-F which might be informative:

as well as one about getting the IBIS anf focus peaking working correctly on an E-M10 Mark II:

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Seems like you're talking about setting correct focal length for the IBIS.
You'll get the focal length set in EXIF.
But, regarding aperture: Use your pen and paper!
I haven't checked the videos yet (I will), but yes the 2 main points are to insure the IBIS works with the proper focal length, and that something is written in Exif that permits to identify which lens was used.
With the GX85, when there is a lens without electronics that is mounted, the camera asks about the focal length to adjust IBIS, this is fine, but for some obscure reason, this focal length is not written to Exif, which is a shame.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I use this feature in my Pen-F. Not sure the maximum slots but I’m up to 7 or 8 so far. Created all in camera, didn’t use computer so it is slow to enter a name, max f stop and IBIS focal length but only have to do it once. I assign the feature to a Fn button which makes it very easy to switch between lenses.

The result is that a shot taken with a fully manual lens now attaches EXIF data as I’ve input them. I can see name, focal length, Maximum f-stop (not actual of course) and normal shutter speed and exposure compensation from the body. Thats enough for me!

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
After looking at the videos suggested by @Ghostbuggy I can see the Pen-F would do what I wish (although it would be more convenient if one could set the list from the computer...), but the second video tells me the EM 10ii does not have that same feature - it is more like what I have with the GX85.

So are there other models that have an implementation for this that is similar to Pen-F?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I haven't checked the videos yet (I will), but yes the 2 main points are to insure the IBIS works with the proper focal length, and that something is written in Exif that permits to identify which lens was used.
With the GX85, when there is a lens without electronics that is mounted, the camera asks about the focal length to adjust IBIS, this is fine, but for some obscure reason, this focal length is not written to Exif, which is a shame.
Sorry, but I was wrong! The EXIF in my (old) Oly cameras (E-PL1/E-PL8) records 0 mm...
I must've been confusing Oly with Pentax...

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I don't have a full list of Olympus camera bodies that have the feature, but I believe the E-M1 II, III and likely EM1-X, E-M5 III all have this. Look at the PDF manual for any body you are interested in. The feature is called "Lens Info Settings"

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Setting it for IBIS and then having it written also to the exif would be very convenient... for prime lenses. But the reason they may not do it automatically might be for those who are using zoom lenses where typically you would enter the widest focal length for the IBIS and just accept that the more your zoom the less effective the IBIS will be (without changing it constantly in the IBIS menu). So you 35-100mm lens would show up in the exif as your "35mm" lens.

And, while I can not think of a reason why anyone would do it, I suppose there could be people who want to set the IBIS for something different than the lens's actual focal length. Maybe entering a wider value to get some IBIS but tone it down a bit?

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Look at the PDF manual for any body you are interested in. The feature is called "Lens Info Settings"
So I had a look at the manual for some models.
Pen-F is OK and has this feature as was shown in the video.
EM-10 - I haven't seen it in the mk3 and mk4 manuals, so it doesn't appear to offer this.
EM-5 - yes for mk3, but not in mk2 or mk1.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I can confirm that the E-M5.3 has this ability. It says: "The camera can store information for up to 10 lenses that do not conform to the Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds system standards. These data also supply the focal length used for the image stabilization and keystone compensation features."
Later, it adds: "[Lens Info Settings] can be assigned to a button. The button can then be used to recall lens info, for example after lenses are exchanged"

OldRadioGuy

Enthusiast Amateur
Real Name
Bob
After looking at the videos suggested by @Ghostbuggy I can see the Pen-F would do what I wish (although it would be more convenient if one could set the list from the computer...), but the second video tells me the EM 10ii does not have that same feature - it is more like what I have with the GX85.

So are there other models that have an implementation for this that is similar to Pen-F?
Yes, the EM-1 Mark III, for one. I make the initial adjustments through the SCP and have those settings available via a customized ISO button for quick assignment when I switch to an adapted lens.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I love using manual lenses on my cameras - need to try get my head around all this. Seems as though best to use the M1 Mk11 rather M5 Mk11, which doesn't have that function?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just use the recorder function in the camera.
If necessary, enter the recorded info into the EXIF data on the computer later.
On my old Oly C-770UZ (one of their earlier 10x super zoom fixed lens cameras) they had a nifty feature which I am surprised wasn't carried forward. You could turn on an option to have the camera always make a 5 second (or so, don't recall the exact length) audio recording after every photo taken. The idea being you could take a shot and then simply voice any notes you wanted to make about the photo you just took. They would be stored as a separate audio file on the memory card. It's strength was that you didn't need to do anything, simply speak after the shot. Its weakness was that it would create an audio file for every photo you took regardless if you used it. Still, for using adapter lenses, this would be an outstanding feature to be able to simply state "f/2" after one shot then "f/8" after the next as you play around with different apertures.

I suppose we could do the same thing by hitting the video record button (if you haven't reassigned it to something else) and making the spoken note. And now that I just thought that, I am definitely going to start doing that with my adapter lens shooting. While you would have to manually trigger the recording, it is made up for by the fact you would only need to make a recording when you change something. So first photo at f/8 and if the next 6 are also shot at f/8 no need to record anything. So back on the computer by looking the video snippets you should be able to easily see when you changed aperture and how many subsequent shots you kept that aperture. Genius! :cloud-9-039:

jk4u59

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ivan Dalmonte
I read that some Olympus cameras provided a list of lenses from which one can pick the lens actually used for shooting for when using a lens that don't "talk" to the camera, but I don't remember when and where I saw that...
Now that I am starting to have a few lenses that don't talk to the camera, I am starting to wish my GX85 would have such a feature!

So maybe I'll have to buy an Olympus camera...
But before that I'd have a few questions on how this is implemented.
1- Is it all Olympus bodies that have this feature or only some - and if not all, which one(s)?
2- Is it only Olympus, or are there other cameras that provide this?
3- How does it work? When changing lens, simply go to the menu and select the lens?
4- How do you define the list of lenses - can this be done from the computer and then loaded to the camera?
5- What information do you provide: name, focal length, max aperture, anything else?
6- How is this used by the camera? - for IBIS?, and does Exif provide the infos to make it possible at PP to know which lens was used?
7- Is it possible to input the actual aperture for individual shots, and see it in Exif?

I guess this is about it for the questions... Thanks for any help.
Let me answer to question #1: No, not all Olympus bodies have this feature. My E-M5 Mk.II hasn't, so I was surprised when I saw its description on a tutorial (but there the camera was an E-M1 Mk.III...). Anyway, I don't consider this loss such an issue.

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
On my old Oly C-770UZ (one of their earlier 10x super zoom fixed lens cameras) they had a nifty feature which I am surprised wasn't carried forward. You could turn on an option to have the camera always make a 5 second (or so, don't recall the exact length) audio recording after every photo taken. The idea being you could take a shot and then simply voice any notes you wanted to make about the photo you just took. They would be stored as a separate audio file on the memory card. It's strength was that you didn't need to do anything, simply speak after the shot. Its weakness was that it would create an audio file for every photo you took regardless if you used it. Still, for using adapter lenses, this would be an outstanding feature to be able to simply state "f/2" after one shot then "f/8" after the next as you play around with different apertures.

I suppose we could do the same thing by hitting the video record button (if you haven't reassigned it to something else) and making the spoken note. And now that I just thought that, I am definitely going to start doing that with my adapter lens shooting. While you would have to manually trigger the recording, it is made up for by the fact you would only need to make a recording when you change something. So first photo at f/8 and if the next 6 are also shot at f/8 no need to record anything. So back on the computer by looking the video snippets you should be able to easily see when you changed aperture and how many subsequent shots you kept that aperture. Genius! :cloud-9-039:
This feature is already inside every Olympus body I have used in the past. When you examine a photo with EVF or LCD screen hit the OK button and choose the option from the flying menu. Now Its an option/per image for the user , there is no auto menu option as C-770.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When you examine a photo with EVF or LCD screen hit the OK button and choose the option from the flying menu. Now Its an option/per image for the user
Ah, so there is (looking as my user manual). Only problem with it is I don't normally look at my photos on the back screen after taking them (I have the automatic "chimping option turned off"). After a shot I would have to press the playback button to pull it up, press the info button to get that menu, arrow down to the audio setting, press OK, then I could record my note. I think for quick and dirty notes like "f4" the single movie button press might be more efficient. However, I will play around with that audio recorder function when I get a chance. While maybe too cumbersome for using often in a session with a manual lens, I can think of other times where I could make longer notes on a photo when I only need to do it occasionally. Thanks for the pointer.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom