Olympus camera WiFi transfers

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
A rather open ended title....

I have an EM10 MKII.

I've been using the IO.share app to transfer images to my smartphone/7" tablet. I would like to be able to transfer to something larger so that I can do some editing (With Android operating system)

I tried an ASUS Chromebook but it wouldn't communicate.

What do you use for your setup?

haunted scrap heap
I tried an ASUS Chromebook but it wouldn't communicate.
You might have to get a little tough with your devices wifi manager if you're trying to force it to connect to the camera's SSID in an environment where there's a strong home network signal that it "prefers"... but honestly, it's such a slow way to transfer full-size files, and gives the files stupid new filenames... if you don't have a card reader, you can use the USB cable that comes with the camera.

haunted scrap heap
You can force OI.Share to use original filenames in Settings. Helps heaps!
That must be a new feature, I never updated from 3.2.0 due to hearing rumbling about stuff being borked on the new version... but I don't remember the details. Glad to know they addressed that issue, at least, though! :D

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
Turn off Bluetooth on Android or Apple devices. It interferes with OI.Share WiFi.

Use a card reader with desktop machines. It's far faster. My USB3 readers manage about 3 GB per minute, or thereabouts.
Thanks John..was trying to avoid having to use the SD card route..but appreciate the advice. Jeff

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
You might have to get a little tough with your devices wifi manager if you're trying to force it to connect to the camera's SSID in an environment where there's a strong home network signal that it "prefers"... but honestly, it's such a slow way to transfer full-size files, and gives the files stupid new filenames... if you don't have a card reader, you can use the USB cable that comes with the camera.
I quite liked the idea of WiFi transfer..it works fine on my smartphone, and smaller tablet, but couldn't get it to even find the camera with the Chromebook... incidentally, I've now sent that back!!

The usb cable route might be worth a try

Thanks

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
USB 3 card reader is definitely what I use in the field to my iPad Pro and before that to my Macbook. Cardreader is the fastest and easiest specially if you want to copy the SD cards to multiple devices in the field for security.

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
USB 3 card reader is definitely what I use in the field to my iPad Pro and before that to my Macbook. Cardreader is the fastest and easiest specially if you want to copy the SD cards to multiple devices in the field for security.
I've ordered a Lenovo tablet with Usb port, so will give that a try when it arrives.. thanks for the tip

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Question/ help/ remedy
Why can’t I use Olympus share with my em5mk3
When connecting the camera shows on Olympus share but can’t conect
My em1mk3 no trouble whatsoever
iPad Pro

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Question/ help/ remedy
Why can’t I use Olympus share with my em5mk3
When connecting the camera shows on Olympus share but can’t conect
My em1mk3 no trouble whatsoever
iPad Pro
Jeff, have you set you tablet and E-M5 MkIII up as a pair? Each camera has to be individually paired with the device via OiShare.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Jeff, have you set you tablet and E-M5 MkIII up as a pair? Each camera has to be individually paired with the device via OiShare.
Yes I have
The camera shows in the app Olympus Share with the unique camera number and pass word
Than when I go to wifi connection the camera does not show
All of my other Olympus bodies work well
PenF,em1mk2,em1mk3 and my wife’s em5mk2
But my em5mk3 will not

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is Bluetooth turned off on your tablet?

This being on has caused all sorts of problems from extremely slow transfer to failure to connect at all, for both Apple and Android devices, my own Android devices included.
Blue tooth is on as all other cameras operate and transfer correctly
THANK YOU for helping

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Didn't things change with the E-M5mkIII? You have to pair it with the Square/UPC code inside OI.Share... It's not good enough to add it in your wifi-settings alone now.

OI.Share will scan the code, set up the Wifi profile for it and from that point forward it will show up. For initial setup, it seems to use a combination of Bluetooth and WIFI to get it done. At least that's how it worked on my E-M1mkiii, which was completely different from my old E-M1.

Then, when you want to connect them together, instead of the old way, where you would go into your wifi list and "join" the camera, you do it all from OI.Share - OI.Share will drop your existing Wifi connection and make the connection to the camera each time. It also uses bluetooth to do that.

Last edited:

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Didn't things change with the E-M5mkIII? You have to pair it with the UPC code inside OI.Share... It's not good enough to add it in your wifi-settings alone now.

OI.Share will scan the code, set up the Wifi profile for it and from that point forward it will show up. For initial setup, it seems to use a combination of Bluetooth and WIFI to get it done. At least that's how it worked on my E-M1mkiii, which was completely different from my old E-M1.

Then, when you want to connect them together, instead of the old way, where you would go into your wifi list and "join" the camera, you do it all from OI.Share - OI.Share will drop your existing Wifi connection and make the connection to the camera each time. It also uses bluetooth to do that.
THANK YOU
I’ll give that a try tomorrow

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My daughter has had a problem with her em5.3 connecting with her iPhone 11 in the last few months.
I’ve tried for most of the day to get it synced for her… to no avail.
things I’ve tried
- turned on airplane mode
- turned off bluetooth
- forgotten the camera network
- scanned the qrcode handful(s) of times
- followed all tips here and in a link from here to dpreview (my 3rd ever time there)
and… nothing
all get to the join button, and after about 10 seconds we get a Failed to communicate message.

I had the same thing with my em1.2 and iPad Pro but all I did there was to go to camera information and delete the camera, then set it up again. Photos finally showed but the. I couldn’t do much with them as they i couldn’t select individual files and download to my iPad for sharing with my daughter.

suggestions? I have until tomorrow morning to try and help her in person then our “Panny” visit is over for now.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
When you scan the bar-code does it actually create the Wifi profile on the phone? Or does it just do nothing? Is she up to date on the OS and the OI.Share software?

Once you have the Wifi profile installed, getting into the camera should look like this: Put the camera into Wifi mode, and once the green Wifi indicator shows, open OI.Share and click on the Remote Control option. That should get it talking to the camera.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When you scan the bar-code does it actually create the Wifi profile on the phone? Or does it just do nothing? Is she up to date on the OS and the OI.Share software?

Once you have the Wifi profile installed, getting into the camera should look like this: Put the camera into Wifi mode, and once the green Wifi indicator shows, open OI.Share and click on the Remote Control option. That should get it talking to the camera.
I’ll check the camera update version, but her iOS is updated, and it looks like her OI.Share is also up to date.
when I removed/deleted her phone from OI.Share it was still showing on the camera when wifi was started, with the original password (8 digit password). I turned on the camera wifi and it immediately went to the qrcode screen. Opened OI.Share, scanned the code but the camera screen never gets to the stage of the one line “making connection to …” screen like it does with my em1.2 on my own iPad. We have tried her em5.3 on both her own iPhone 11 and an iPhone 10… same deal.
the one thing we didn’t try was the remote control option so will try that this morning.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That didn’t work either… I had limited time before we head3d home and thought I’d give updating the camera software a go… but the download of the Olympus workspace app took a donkeys age to download and I ran out of time to do the update. Will have to try it the next time we see them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom