Olympus Camera updater will not work

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Darren Bonner, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have recently bought an Olympus E-PL5 and I have just ordered the VF4. I have downloaded the camera updater v.1.03.
    The battery is freshly charged and I have taken out the memory card as instructed. I have connected the camera to the usb cable, it comes on as normal, the grey screen appear and the option storage is high lighted. I then press ok, the screen goes black but it is still on and the little red square in the top left corner flashes a few tmes and stops. I double click the program and it comes to life and I click on next. a spinning symbols appears and then a message appears "Failed to communicate with the server (0x80041037).
    Has anyone got any idea what is going on?
    Is there another way to download firmware updates, like putting the file on a memory card, the way Panasonic do it?
    I also cannot download Olympus viewer 2 or 3, but according to the specs, my computer is up to date. I have tried this also with the firewall turned off, but with the same results.

2. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I don't remember pressing OK - just leaving the screen at storage.....

when you load the Updater program does it see the camera? I didn't think it would go to the server until it does?

"Is there another way to download firmware updates...." No

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Does the camera have a series of options appear on the back at some point? It needs to be in "storage" mode.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Yes it does, if I leave it like that, it says "Unable to detect camera. check if camera is connected correctly to the PC"
    I read on the DP forum someone saying you have to hit ok for it to work, they could be wrong. If I hit ok, then I get what I have written above.
    I have connected this camera the same way to download photo's from it with no problems.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yes, you have to click on OK to get the storage mode to work. I just tried it with my EPM2. When I just hit the next button, I got a message that it couldn't fine the camera. When Storage was highlighted and I hit OK on the camera and then next, I got the update page. As least that;'s what mine just did.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Just the the OK button already !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Just had another go, but left it on storage, it said cannot find camera, so I hit ok and I got a doughnut for a second or two, but then nothing happend.
    So I press re-try and I get the spinning logo the a quick connect to camera message and then the cannot connect to server message!
    I will try my works computer a try tomorrow as that is newer to mine, but please keep the ideas coming.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Right after I tried my E-PM2, UPS brought my newly repaired E-M5. I connected to the Updater, and experienced the same behavior. The updater complained it couldn't connect to the camera until I hit the OK button with the the "storage" option highlighted. It certainly seems that your problem is occurring at this point. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to advise you further since hitting OK doesn't seem to work for you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Mu-43 Regular

Could be the Oly server is down.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    If I don't use a VF, is it worth doing the update?

11. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    TAKE OUT THE SD CARD!!!

i went crazy about a weeke ago, same issues. then i reread the online instructions for the TENTH time and finally saw that you have to REMOVE ANY MEMORY CARD for updates to work.
    good luck, hope that does it.

12. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I've always had memory card in camera when updating firmware, so I don't think that's it. Sometimes the Olympus servers go down for several hours. Try it again tomorrow or next week.

I had trouble updating E-M5 several weeks ago, different error message from you. Didn't change a thing and a week later it worked.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=54876&highlight=olympus+updater+error

13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    There may be some undocumented fixes, but the main purpose was to enable the VF4.

I used to fear FW updates as too risky after my first one took 40 minutes, but that was because I used a noisy WiFi connection, which is never recommended. On a LAN connection, they take less than 5 minutes. So I will install them, because maybe, just maybe, they improved something else and didn't tell us.

And sometimes the Olympus server is down. I wonder if there is only one and it's in Japan.

14. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    well i can only tell you my very recent experience and what the on line OLYMPUS instructions say, in no uncertain terms, they say to remove the memory card. i tried for two hours unsuccessfully, got the exact same issues with the exact same update as OP. as soon as i followed the olympus instructions and took out the card it worked. if you want to call all that a coincidence, go right ahead, no skin off my nose!

15. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    but the OP states clearly that he did remove the card..........