Olympus CAMEDIA E-20 medium format cameras really cheap now, interesting toy?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Tadgh78, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    [EDIT; MY Mistake, Its not a Medium format camera at all! SORRY!

Mods, you might want to delete this thread as it's based on a misunderstanding.]

There is an ongoing forum wide discussion about the various merits and demerits of m43 v.s full frame v.s medium format.

I personally have never handled either a full frame or medium format camera, but I've read that some of the main advantages of the larger formats are the ability to achieve shallower depth of field and greater dynamic range.

I looked up medium format cameras and found that they usually hover around the 10,000 euro/dollar mark. That is except for some of the really ancient ones. Enter the Olympus CAMEDIA E-20 medium format camera, boasting all of 5 mega pixels on its sensor! :D They can be had off amazon in supposedly good condition for between $100 and $300.The question is though does technology this old retain any photographic advantage over a modern m43 camera? Can it do anything my panasonic G3 can't?

This is a user review of the E-10 it's much the same as the E-20 I'm interested in except with a 4mp sensor instead of the 5mp of the E-20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsb4t68oT6o

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 1
  3. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    It is not a medium format sensor, it is a small 2/3 ccd sensor, not that much better than any other top end point and shoot of those days. The body itself is a lot better, close to pro specs, but no interchangeable lenses or anything like that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    it was a decent camera in it's day, but it's not medium format. It has a 2/3" sensor which is a quarter of the area of the u43 4/3" sensor. If you're willing to spend up to $300 for one, you'd probably be better off looking for a 4/3 E1 with a first generation 14-54 f/2.8-3.5. The 5mp E1 will give you a much better image than the older E20.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This camera you seem to be describing the E20 as 'medium format'? It only has a 2/3" size sensor which is not Medium at all.
    Here is the DPReview of it. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse20/2

EDIT: It seems I was a little slow in posting my comment.

6. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    Doh! I feel a bit of an idiot now for thinking it was a medium format. It must have been the formfactor that threw me. :redface:

As it isn't MF or even FF I wouldn't be interested in getting one. Thanks for setting me straight on that folks.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I can see why you thought that. I had one and it's a big camera for a small sensor. The lens was wonderful and it was a very nice camera in its day.

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    There are medium format film cameras that can be had for under $500...
    Fred

• Like Like x 1
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Heck, you can find great TLR cameras for around $150. I picked up an excellent Mamiya C33 for that a few years ago.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I owned an E-10 - it was my first DSLR. It's really really really slow. The lens is excellent, but the camera is nowhere near as capable as, say, a 4/3 DSLR like an E-1 or E-300, because the sensor is small, and the camera AF and burst speed are nonexistent. Did I mention it was slow?

Right now, you could get an E-1 and the 14-54mm mk 1 lens for under $200 on ebay (The E-1 body alone is well under $100), and that is a MUCH more capable rig, with a much larger sensor. And that rig is really fully weather sealed, so there are places you might wish to actually use it. Plus the lens itself is eminently useable on an E-M1 (with a 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapter) and is in fact an excellent lens. That would be a FAR better purchase than an E-10 or E-20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-E-1...254873?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item5d4fa64399

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Zui...61275248?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2a3fef5270

And of course, as mentioned by others, you can get a great medium format film rig for under $200 nowadays if it's really Medium Format you want. You can get a perfectly functional Yashica TLR for under $100

• Like Like x 1