1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus calling all OMD shooters to help them improve new OMD!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Interesting...smart!!! :D I'm gonna put my two cents' worth in!

I'm not sure if they actually DO listen...but it's good to know they at least pretend to...and if they do listen, then all the better...it's pretty clever of them...props.

Oh, and thanks for sharing this find. :)

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Here is what I posted <b>(pelicaneng on flickr)</b> <h2>Make sure you post on the Flickr thread too!</h2>

Flickr: Discussing What did or would make you switch from another camera brand to the OM-D? in Get Olympus

Why the OM-D -

I shot film for a long time fairly seriously. First using 6x6 then a 35mm SLR. I had access to a darkroom and did my own processing. I shot a lot of B&W because it was much cheaper. I sold my SLR kit because is was simply too big and bulky. I found I was not using it. I vowed never to be in the situation that the camera was going to determine what I was shooting because of the size.

When digital started I shot with a Kodak DCS 420 at work (the new definition of huge!) and bought a series of Canon Powershots with the last one a G1X. I really liked the small body capable camera concept.

I had heard about the OM-D but I did not see a compelling reason to own one until I found I needed to shoot things at distances the compacts were not capable of. I was not going to buy a 7D or equivalent, they are simply too big. By accident I stumbled across a review of the 50-200. I bought the lens first then the body. It certainly is not a seamless experience with the OM-D but it can deliver some stunning images.

<h2>I find three things really compelling about the OM-D:</h2>

<b>1. Some really great glass.</b>

<b>2. A very much Jekyll and Hyde body.</b> You can put a 14mm pancake on it and put it in your pocket or use an HLD-6 grip with a large fast telephoto zoom like the 50-200, and it handles well with both. Weather sealing is a big plus too!

<b>3. Fantastic OOC tone curves and WB.</b> I find I am doing very little post processing now - this is a huge time saver and something Oly needs to market more heavily.

<h2>What will make me buy the next OM-D:</h2>

<b>1. Seamless integration with the HG and SHG legacy glass</b> - OR - fast m43 zooms that match the quality of these offerings. The 12-50 lens is a great concept but the micro detail is not representative of what the camera can do.

<b>2. Focus peeking.</b> Especially important if the AF is not fixable with the legacy 4/3 glass.

<b>3. Weather sealed primes.</b> If we can't get one or two then please release weather sealed versions of the primes and give us a 150 F2 and a tele converter.

<b>4. 1/8000 of a second shutter speed is important too.</b> There are times you have to stop down with the faster lenses because you have run out of shutter speed to get correct exposure.

<b>5. Better access to the mySet functions</b>. I really miss the custom modes Canon has on the mode dial. There is plenty of room there - label it Ms1 and Ms2 or some such.

Focus tracking etc? Meh. I learned to shoot with a 6x6 without a bullt in light meter. Planning the shot is second nature to me. The AF is great, with the exception of the non CDAF optimised glass.

And I'll add another vote for what [http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottdamndavis/] <b>scottdamndavis</b>:
    said. The retailers need to know what these cameras can do.

4. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I would like to see a fully articulating screen.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Looks like they have enough input already. my $.02 won't make any difference at this point...

6. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    I want raw video! Must be awesome with the ibis. Too much? :rofl:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Great stuff guys. I think we should keep writing. The more the merrier right?. If it makes a difference or not is not the question, but they are "reading" so just go say something.

8. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    Most likely, the thread will get tallied up by a junior employee into votes for specific traits - size, handling, price, specific features that can be grouped into categories easily. Any comment that mentions something specifically will add a tic in a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet will be presented to their manager, who will report the top five demands, which will be considered along with other market research and might filter through to the next product. So no, nobody is really going to read your thoughts, but they still may affect the next OMD. In that sense, it's probably worth posting if there is anything you desperately want on the best camera.

9. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I would like to see the hot shoe moved to the left to reduce the camera height.
    The mode dial could be buried.
    Really great would be a small LCD that is always on to display the important settings with an option to adjust them without powering the camera up. If this included a method to zone focus by dialing in a distance, then it would be killer for street...
    Rudy

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Why not provide a hyperfocal distance focusing preset for native lenses, and for that matter show the distance that the lens is focused at in the display.

11. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    So are there only two weather sealed lenses? The Olympus 12-50 and the 60 macro?
    Are any of the other manufacturers' lenses weather sealed?

12. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    They should do the same for a new OM-D firmware with improvements, possibility to assign Mysets to the dial mode and focus peaking

Olympus, learn from Sony and Fuji

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 2.8 zooms.

14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have thrown my comments in and have 4 main "wants"

1. 1/8000 shutter speed
    2. 1/500 flash sync
    3. Base ISO of 100
    4. AFC / tracking that works (Phase detection)

15. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    All of the HG and SHG lenses are weather sealed as well.

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Please make the next OM-D more expensive to keep out the riff-raff. It should be larger so I dont have to buy that grip. It should have a longer name like DMC OM-D EM-6 Ti. Run on Android and there should be no black version.

Would all that be popular?

17. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    I do not have a Flickr account:

I would suggest the following though:
    1. 1/8000 shutter speed and
    all the improvements on the EP5
    plus

2. improved low light capability with more than usable images at iso6400 or beyond
    3. base iso of 50
    4. Hybrid AF: Phase detection and Contrast AF translating to tracking that works and fast single AF
    5. ability to view images from the EVF
    6. focus peaking and removable split prism manual focusing interface
    7. mysets that are on the dial and that can be named manually
    8. FN1 button that is not too far to reach
    9. Since you have Kodak ties now, OOC film emulation
    10. Improved 5-axis IBIS that can be manually set to focal lengths in a range eg. 35-105 etc.
    11. Improved compatibility with Panasonic lenses 7-14mm (purple blob), 20 mm (banding).
    12. Wish it had in-camera focus stitching for macro shots (optional: I'll buy it without this feature :))

18. gerafotografija

gerafotografija New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2013
    There are so many things Olympus got right with this model that I hesitate to ask for changes, but a few that would help include:

Locking PASM dial and stiffer dials in general – a feel more like the Fuji X's seems just right.

I like the snap ring on the 17mm, but would like to see it on a slightly longer Zuiko, maybe a 20mm or 27.5 if there is a desire to not go head to head with the Pana/Leica 25? Make it weather sealed, and it will rarely leave my side.

The pop up flash does hit me on the forehead, but not sure what can be done. It doesn't seem to make sense to move the hotshoe if the style stays the same for the EM6, or whatever it is designated, but if a rangefinder layout like the EP5 is possible then a built in EVF and popup flash in locations like the X's from Fuji would be perfect.

Did I mention, I like the layout on the X's? I tend to switch between the OMD with a normal prime and the X20 for casual shooting, but always miss the ease of changing the settings on the X.

Picture quality of the OMD is a completely different thing though, and I wont give it up. Although I may take a look at the XM1 and the 40mm equivalent lens to possibly replace the X20 later this summer if it is as small as the specs say it is.

I dont see changing out the EM5 for the EP5 though because of the lack of weather sealing – this is a must have for my main camera. So, I'll wait for the next top of the line up date.

19. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    The ONLY thing I really want is to get rid of the VF hump and have it at the corner, rangefinder style. Or add a corner EVF to the E-P5.

And wifi would be nice since Apple won't let the camera connection kit work with an iPhone.