Olympus battery "Warning Level" setting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cookme, Jun 8, 2012.

1. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    A few days ago I was surprised when my OM-D told me the battery was about to die. I saw the two bar light when it showed up, but I don't recall seeing anything lower than that before the battery dying screen. The battery ran its course after about 400 shots + few videos so it was behaving normally. It was a really bright sunny day and I wear glasses so I might have missed the later warnings(blinking?) in the viewfinder. However those warnings must have been really brief... I might have taken just 20 more shots in between the two bar and the dying screen.

I looked up the battery warning level in the full manual but couldn't find any useful information on what the 0 ~ +/-2 range represents. Does anyone know what they are?
  2. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    I haven't experimented with the battery warning level setting, but I'm gonna guess that moving to the plus side will cause the warning to appear earlier, and moving to the minus side will cause the warning level to appear later.

The battery level indicator is one of the things I hope Olympus will change in the next firmware update. I'd like to see it all the time in either the view finder or on the live control monitor. The way it is now, it only seems to show up for a few seconds when the camera is powered up, then again when the warning for a low charge appears. I much prefer the way battery charge indication is displayed my Leica, where it's always visible when the camera is powered on.
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've owned three Olympus cameras so far, and the battery indicator has always told me exactly one piece of info: Battery about to die, or battery not about to die. I guess a linear indicator is just too much work.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    wow, nice to know... I am new to Olympus so this behavior is quite unexpected. It seems like an obvious improvement, if not at least add one more option to customize the battery indicator. plus doing a better job on the user manual...
  5. sonsw87

sonsw87 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    I was researching this too. Two bars actually mean that your battery is running low and red mean it needs charging. I would love it if they actually show in % or something rather than full, low, dead.
  6. Printfolio

Printfolio Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    Kortrijk, Belgium
    Terrible this. I had hoped for something more accurate. This is one negative aspect of the OM-D. And still no spare BLN-1!
  7. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Exactly this...useless.
  8. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Battery indicators are notoriously difficult to implement.

Check this thread out: CCS :: View topic - How to design low battery indicator?
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Your guess was mine as well. I haven't tested much, but I set it to -2. The camera definitely shut off on me w/o warning when the battery died. I set it back to 0, heh. I've now resorted to swapping out the battery when I see red.
  10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I've also taken several shots after the red flashes, including a flash shot or two. Turning it off (if taking occasional shots) may even extend it a little further.
  11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Instead of resorting to anger? :wink: :biggrin:
  12. BB88

BB88 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    This is what I heard back from Olympus support:
    "This would be the +2 setting, the battery warning will then appear sooner."
  13. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Q- If the battery warning level is a problem what is the solution?

A- A spare battery!

I think as people get to know their new camera things will obviously turn up that aren't right and aren't wrong, but just different from the last camera. How the battery level shows up is one thing, but the only way it can become panic stations is if there isn't a replacement on hand, and the camera can't shop for you.

14. Microman

Microman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    I've seen this blinking battery warning for a while now and I can continue to make photos. I set to -1 and now even to -2, because the warning obviously appears much too soon. I don't understand the rather aggravated reactions from some people. It's not like a life depends on that battery. If you want to be sure, change the battery when you see the red symbol flashing. You probably want a spare for the E-M5 anyway.
  15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Unfortunately lithium-ion batteries don't operate linearly...they go for a long dropping slightly, and then it's a roller coaster ride almost straight down. It is what it is.
  16. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Exactly just buy and carry a spare!!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    I've also adjusted mine to -1 after managing 50+ shots after it first appeared and the camera was still going strong when I changed the battery.

Not sure but the slight voltage difference in some types compared to the OEM (7.2 - 7.4V) may throw the indicator "off"
  18. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Olympus are not the only ones with this issue. In Canonland, the Magic Lantern firmware has specific fixes to help improve the battery level reporting.

Granted it is not so much a problem with a DSLR as low battery still means you've got about 100 shots left. But it is a similar deal - Canon's have a 3 level warning: full (what is shows most of the time), 1-bar left (like a pre-warning, you're about to get the low battery warning very shortly), then the low-battery warning (which can stay on forever or not).
  19. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Perhaps some day Sony will share their battery memory technology with them now that they own a controlling interest. Word is Sony is going to want to use the 5 axis IBIS at some point. Share and share alike :)
  20. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    would like a accurate frame count left :)

use a grip use the grip battery first when it runs out change it for a short while you shoot on the internal battery ? but you can keep changing batteries and in a sense not get stopped but change on your time :) sure others do this :)