1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus - Back in the News for acting BAD

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by b_rubenstein, May 27, 2015.

1. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Scope maker Olympus expects to settle U.S. claims over marketing
    The manufacturer of endoscopes at the center of a string of deadly superbug outbreaks has set aside nearly $450 million for an expected settlement of a U.S. investigation into its marketing of medical products.

Olympus Corp. of Japan did not disclose the details of what federal officials have been investigating other than saying the focus is on possible violations of laws that ban companies from paying kickbacks to doctors and other potential customers.

Olympus is becoming the kind of company I don't like doing business with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Well... I'm not doing business with them. I just buy their products. I wouldn't worry about those kind of things. The company I work for is currently under investigations for bribing (that may have happened - or not - about 10 years ago). Should I resign since I don't approve of that kind of behaviour? Perhaps, but I won't. :biggrin:

I feel this is also a case where individuals have possibly made mistakes but the blame shouldn't be on the entire company.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    There are very few major manufacturers in any business that haven't done something outside the rules to make sales at some point in their history. It's not a reason to dump your Olympus gear and go to another company that's also littered with skeletons in their corporate closet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    What is normal business practice in one country is not in others. What is illegal in some is also expected "under the table" behavior...and this happens all the time with doctors and major pharmaceutical companies daily.

The difference is that they don't get caught very often. Sounds like Olympus was caught.

5. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

In order to sell medical gear and photo equipment and survive, you need to do business globally. And you need to adapt your specific tactics to accommodate the various concepts of 'legitimate business practices' that you encounter globally. I don't blame or defend Olympus' tactics, but I do know that setting up an infrastructure and business mindset to accommodate one part of the world can sometimes "bleed over" into another part of the world. People get transferred and make cultural assumptions that aren't necessarily valid.

And no matter where in the world you are, you will be able to find buyers willing to violate their own culture's idea of what acceptable business practices are if they can personally benefit in some way. The only way to eradicate this problem completely is to either not do business globally, or hire multiple teams of expensive lawyers knowledgeable about law within specific cultures and have them pour over each business transaction. Neither is conducive to long term survival.

How many companies that do business globally do you think could stand up to intense scrutiny?

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    How many governments could hold up to intense scrutiny? I can't think of any which can stand up against glances in their general direction...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Sometimes these things are the actions of individuals. Happens all the time. My company trains us at least twice a year on what not to do, yet there is still an occasional incident. Oly doesn't need bad press, but it's not like they're an evil empire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I see that folks haven't followed the link that includes:
    In recent months, Olympus has come under harsh criticism for failing to quickly warn American hospitals that one of its medical scopes is extremely difficult to clean. The device known as a duodenoscope has been linked to outbreaks at hospitals across the country that have sickened dozens of patients with antibiotic-resistant superbugs.

Or possibly having a control dial fall off is much more serious thing than infecting people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I saw it, but like many things in this information laden world, I don't know how much credence to put into it. Falling under criticism isn't the same thing as being indicted, and certainly nowhere close to being convicted; nor does it explain the 'criticizer's' motives for the criticism. And the article itself doesn't even mention WHO did the criticising.

The internet loads us down with facts of very little value and then gives us just enough real information to create the illusion of "TRUTH". I've been stampeded too many times to start running every time I hear a big "bang" now!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its reasonable to expect hospitals to thoroughly clean medical equipment after use, and you would think the responsibility for using dirty equipment falls on the hospital. Despite this, they are putting aside half a billion for a settlement (while not record breaking, thats a huge amount). That is a strong indicator that they assume the claims aren't frivolous and that they they are culpable.

11. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Or it's a lack of faith in the highly litigious American legal system. Lawsuits typically are levied against the guilty parties and everyone else in the chain of custody to try to ensure someone has money to pay. The loser in the suit also then sues everyone they can to recoup some of their loss.
    Whatever happened to the hospital Sterile Supply Dept. doing UV or other inspections to verify they have cleaned the item completely? They're the ones stating that the scope has been completely cleaned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Well, this isn't a litigation issue (yet). You should actually read the article before blindly jumping to Olys defense. They are under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department for false claims in the marketing of their equipment and kick backs to doctors. Also, a government panel "concluded that the duodenoscope manufactured by Olympus and two other companies was unsafe as designed and urged federal regulators to do more to protect patients". Despite revised cleaning instructions issued in March, the scopes are still giving people MRSA. So despite the fact that there is no litigation yet, the findings of the justice dept. and the FDA, may very well provide basis for some in the future.

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This has been in the news here of late because one of the victims who died of an E. coli infection from an improperly cleaned duodenoscope was local. In this case Olympus is accused of failing to inform hospitals that the design of the scope makes it extremely difficult to clean properly.

It's difficult for me to see how any of that relates to whether of not I would still purchase a camera from Olympus. While these :mu43: cameras are small compared to most others in the market, even the smallest among them would not be my first choice for any internal bodily exploration.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 4
  14. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    Well, i agree with you.
    And I am astounded at the callousness and cynicism of some of the posters to this thread, who would attempt to blandly justify anything, even knowingly killing people, as long as it sometimes occurs in business. A truly chilling series of posts.
    Crossen