1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus B300 1.7x teleconvertor on the 40-150mm m.zuiko lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by applemint, Feb 21, 2012.

1. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Got a cheap Olympus B-300 1.7x teleconvertor on ebay and was wondering if it is possible to use this on the 40-150mm Olympus m.zuiko lens?

The B300 is big and heavy while the 40-150mm is small and light and with the teleconvertor on the front I am concerned it may damage the lens or focusing motor.

I tried the Olympus B300 1.7x teleconvertor on my Minolta MD 135mm lens and it works fine there but only gives an EFL of 340mm (on a Sony Nex) so no real advantage over my Olympus 40-150mm (300mm EFL + autofocus) whereas on the Olympus lens and camera it would be around 500mm - big difference. :smile:

Or should I just look for a cheap manual focus telephoto legacy lens (200mm or more) to use with the B-300? Bit tricky focusing maybe, but will be on a tripod so should be steady. If so, any good cheap telephoto legacy lenses to look for?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would go for the legacy telephoto, because then you can add a "proper" teleconverter between the lens and the body, or just get a legacy lens which is long enough to begin with. I don't trust those front-element converters. :)

3. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Yeah, it's just for experimenting - taking a few fun shots of birds (mostly just in my garden), the moon, etc so am sticking to a shoestring budget for now.

I know teleconverters don't do the image quality any favours but the shots of birds I have seen on here with the B300 look okay (ie: 'good enough' for me).

Think I will get a MD Minolta 200mm (which I was going to get anyway) and the filter thread on that is also 55mm so the teleconverter will go straight on and give me around 500mm EFL on the Nex (300mm X1.7).

If I discover that I really like taking pictures of birds/wildlife and the like then I can look at getting a longer lens for my Olympus like the Panasonic 100-300mm or the pricier Olympus 75-300mm.