Olympus B&W shooter Myset settings

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by astrostl, Aug 26, 2016.

1. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Getting very into B&W w/my manual focus Voigtlanders. I have a Myset configured on my E-M1 for LF JPEGs, custom monotone picture mode, +1 sharpness, +1 contrast, green B&W filter, neutral picture tone. I assign it to Fn1 when I'm in manual mode, and also give it to the ART setting on the mode dial. With the latter, it makes it easier to hop around menus and save my changes back to the Myset. Also use Fn2 for magnification, and a front button for (red) peaking.

What kind of settings are y'all using out there? Any tips or tricks, like using the mode dial to live-reconfigure Mysets?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    My B/W settings differ from my preferred colour mode natural only with contrast, its always 2 clicks higher. For example, with high-contrast light like now in summer, its natural -2 and monotone 0. In dull light ist natural 0 and monotone +2.

Since I try to change my settings as seldom as possible, I make my camera universal by enabling it to take pictures simultanously in colour and b/w. This is done by activating art bracketing:
    Menue 2 - art bkt - on.
    Deactivating all options save monotone and my favourite colour mode.
    Now I always get two pictures, one colour, one b/w.

Depending on my mood, I choose one or the other in the SCP to see colour or monotone in the EVF. I find this easier than continously pressing a button for myset and being limited to its presets. With this way of doing art bkt, if I activate jpg+raw for selected pictures, the chosen mode is also done in raw.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Never played with bracketing, that's a good tip. Thx!

4. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

I just bought an e-p5 which I'll use for mainly street style phototgraphy instead of my e-m1. My plan is to only shoot in B&W with my OM manual focus lenses. Shooting from waist level , manual focusing and quickly changing aperture brings back memories from the old days when I thought auto focus would never work, Ha. Anyway, my settings at the moment are, contrast +1, red filter and I do run my white balance through different settings for varying affects. Enjoying the different shooting style. Good you started up this thread. More experimentation on the way.

5. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

I think old glass is more suited to B&W. It seems to relax the photo, but I suppose that's just personal taste.

6. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Sometimes, I miss the old days. Focusing aqcurat and fast was a skill, learned the hard way. With Tr-X or HP-5 loaded and experience, you knew the right exposure by looking at your subject. It paid off in beautiful, grainy print with fine tonal ranges after long nights in the darkroom.

Today I have aging eyesight and Af takes good care of it. The finger at the exposure compensation wheel is one of the most important factors today. The essence of photography is still the same, albeit on-screen.