Olympus Australia Warranty

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OzRay, Oct 8, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Last Sunday, while doing some tethering experimentation with the E-M1, I noticed a green squiggle in the EVF. Perplexed, I checked my images and found that it wasn't something on the sensor, but appeared to be in the EVF itself. After some Googling, I found out that this is not unusual and can be caused by the EVF being exposed to the sun (it was reported on this forum and I think it slipped my mind). Now last Saturday I spent the better part of three hours in very sunny conditions shooting an event in my town, got slightly red, but did nothing different than on any other occasion.

So I contacted Olympus Australia about this, saying that it's not serious, but I wanted their assessment as to whether it should be sent in for repair or not at this stage, if there's a chance that it could deteriorate further. Olympus replied confirming that the EVF may have suffered sun damage and welcomed me to send in the camera for assessment (at my cost). The tone of the response indicated that I could be held responsible for this 'damage', which is completely unacceptable to me. I have replied in no uncertain terms regarding my view about this issue and that, as a working photographer, going outdoors is an occupational hazard and that a camera promoted as being a professional's camera should be able to cope with any normal working conditions.

I'm not sure as to what level in the feeding chain the respondent was, but the jousting has just begun. I do have full insurance on all of my gear, but Australian warranty law may see things differently to that of Olympus Australia. I'm keeping my powder dry at the moment, awaiting the next reply from Olympus.

2. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'll be watching for updates with great interest...

Z...

3. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
  4. I sent my E-M5 in for warranty repair last year which included a geen squiggle in the viewfinder, and they replaced it without any questions. I never actually contacted Olympus about it; I just sent tbe camera in with a description of the problem/s. My experience with warranty repairs from Olympus Australia has been very good, but by the same token I feel that I've had to use it more often than I would have expected.

P.S. I now have a standard warranty claim letter template that I modify for each time I have to send a camera in.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Round 2:

The service department's response to my rebuttal is partly as follows:

Still implying that the user is to blame and potentially everything at my cost, including return if I don't accept their repair offer (they can easily say I'm at fault once they have the camera).

I have also forwarded their original email to the Olympus PR department and am awaiting to see if they respond.

6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    My E-M5 developed lots of yellow bits in the EVF while under warranty. I took it back to my dealer who sent it to Olympus on my behalf. Olympus replaced it promptly.

It was excellent service in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It seems that you are assuming the worst when they are only describing the potential cause of the fault. Just send the camera in to them. In a warranty repair situation you have to pay the initial postage costs anyway, and they pay for the return postage once the repairs are done.

The Olympus repair techs tend to be a bit sassy even when there is an equipment fault. I sent my E-P5 in to them when the IBIS was playing up and I noted that the stabilisation was terrible when compared with my E-M5 and I could get more stable images from the E-P5 with the IBIS off than when it was on. When I received the camera back (fixed) they recommended that to get sharp images I should also "hold the camera as though I was shooting with a DSLR".

8. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    UK
    Sounds like they are admitting that there is a fault, if they are saying that it may have been caused by having the EVF exposed to direct sunlight for a "reasonable amount of time". So they are saying that you used it in a reasonable way, in which case no fault should develop?

9. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Send it in. Vivienne is excellent to work with. Have had great turnover time and assistance from Olympus Australia. Credit to them.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There are a number of issue in question here, which I've just addressed to their PR department, after receiving their response to an earlier email. The current responses that I've received from the service department effectively imply that that they will decide whether the artifacts are due to abuse and subsequently can hold me to ransom. The PR department response isn't much better.

What is a significant point is that there is nothing in the manual (such as in Safety Precautions) that warns users of direct exposure of the EVF to sunlight, this only appears to come from the service department when a problem occurs. That's a fundamental omission in the manual.

I'm currently addressing a matter of principle, rolling a grenade under the door to get their attention, so to speak.

And if you want to see an incongruity, check this link for the warranty repair form: http://www.olympus.com.au/Olympus/media/Misc/Support/Repair-Forms-2014v2.pdf.

So is what I have experienced a warranty repair or not? If it is, why are they saying that I need to pay for shipping, when the form clearly states that shipping is free for warranty claims or Australian consumer law guarantees? Does the right hand know what the left hand is doing?

11. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    My EM1 back wheel stopped working. I had to pay to send it to Sydney but they paid the return post.
    When I received it back it still wasn't correct so when I contacted them they paid for the postage back to them this time and when I got it back the second time it was fixed.
    If you purchase from a local trader they usually send it in for you so you don't have to pay the postage but I purchased mine from a Sydney store online so postage was a must for me.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The pain still continues. Olympus has effectively admitted that exposure to the sun can damage the EVF, that the manual does not warn users of this potential hazard, nor what sort of conditions need to be avoided or action to be taken in order to avoid this happening. I must admit, given the lack of information, this has come to mind:

viewcamera.

Additionally, it seems that Olympus is unable to state whether the incidence of a small artifact represents the eventual demise of the entire EVF, which is odd, considering that they are well aware of the problem. All I want to know is that if it won't get worse given due care (whatever that actually involves), then I won't bother with a repair, as it's not overly annoying. It's more like a bit hair or dust in a regular OVF (which I've experienced many times in the past).

I have no idea why Olympus is hedging so much over a simple issue.

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe your first mistake was to say you were using it tethered outside in the sun. I agree it isn't something that should be a problem & if it was then there should be a cover provided to cover the EVF & on that basis it should then fall to Olympus for replacement. They (Olympus Japan) should come good & provide suitable protection for the EVF & in the mean time, suck it up & just replace the EVF (with normal use), but then again.........

I think with any situation like this it is much better to take an appeal approach rather than a demanding one. I don't feel like looking after any customers if they take that approach with me, but those that are geniune at needing help & show gratitude will likely get more out of me..

14. Ross the fiddler

Thankfully I can drive there in 1 hour & I did for the E-M5 bezel repair (just before warranty ran out) & I recieved excellent service. I even took a few photos (with my Stylus 1) while I was there.
    S5085133-adj-s.

S5085143-adj-s.

S5085139-adj-s.

This building houses several number of businesses besides Olympus.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    No, that's not what happened, nor what I said to Olympus (tethering wasn't mentioned at all); I noticed the artifacts when I was doing some tethering tests at home. Clearly the artifacts arose while I was on assignment on the weekend, as it was a sunny day; however, I was using the camera like any other I've owned, just walking around holding it by the grip when not actually taking photos and, when doing so, the EVF is generally pointing towards my legs and should be shielded from the sun. So I'm completely baffled as to how/when it could have been exposed to cause the artifacts. How sensitive is the EVF?

The really annoying thing is not knowing what degree of exposure causes this problem and if one artifact arises, whether it's the pre-cursor to complete failure and when. I'm more than happy to live with it the way it is, rather than spending $50+ getting it to Olympus in Sydney, if it's not going to get any worse.

The repairs used to be done in Melbourne and it's about an hour's drive away, but I can't even take it there for Olympus Melbourne to ship it to Sydney.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ross the fiddler

I notice the spares supplier is now with a Tasmania company now. Were they repaired by the previous spares stockists in Melbourne?

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Sydney has always been the main repair centre, but Melbourne had a division where they did testing and adjustments etc and would send cameras requiring repair to Sydney. I met the Sydney based guy who was the chief technician at the time, as well as the technical rep in Melbourne. I was even invited into the facilities when I had issues with my E-1 and had to show them under what circumstances I was having focussing issues with my first E-1. The Melbourne rep was a really nice guy, but lost his job when everything moved to Sydney. Melbourne is now the medical etc division and by the sounds of it, might as well not be a part of Olympus at all.

Some companies just don't seem to make any real effort when it comes to customer service, yet others are quite the opposite. When my Samsung 830 SSD died unexpectedly, within the warranty period, I contacted Samsung and explained what had happened, the symptoms and everything that I'd done to try and recover the drive. The rep I spoke to checked with someone else and came back saying that I'd done everything that could be done and clearly the drive needed to be replaced. Everything went smoothly and there was no doubt whatsoever where I stood with the warranty claim and I got it in writing. This is the complete opposite with Olympus and we're talking about a $1500 camera vs a $130 SSD.

Olympus used to be outstanding when it came to their technical service, now it feels like I'm dealing with Centrelink (from experience trying to assist my late father-in-law).

• Like Like x 1
  18. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Until you actually send your camera to Olympus and they inspect the camera, you have not yet dealt with their repair facility.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I would think that after four emails from Olympus (and same from me), that it would constitute having dealt with them; and in the first instance of conducting any negotiation, you need to come to a common understanding. Our Consumer Affairs organisation, who I contacted, confirmed that I was doing the right thing.

But why should I need to send in the camera, if the problem is not going to escalate and if I'm happy to live with the minor artifacts in the EVF? Olympus has not answered this question, nor my other question as to how the camera should be handled in order to prevent the problem escalating or indeed happening again.

If I send in the camera and the EVF is replaced, what's to prevent it from happening again? When Olympus does not respond to simple questions regarding appropriate use of the camera in sunny conditions, this could be repeated ad infinitum. Would a flash of sunlight reflected from a window create artifacts in the EVF? Would raising the camera to your eye with the sun behind you cause artifacts? Do you know?

20. Ross the fiddler

I don't think I would take that approach. I would (when needed) just ask them if they have the replacement part in stock because I want it fixed under warranty.