1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus' Art Filter vs Panasonic's Dynamic Black & White

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by G.Sal, Aug 7, 2011.

1. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Apples and oranges but how compelling the add-on effects mode when it comes to making a purchase?

I settled with Olympus EPL1 because of the Pop Art filter but lately, I'm jealous over Panny's Dynamic Black & White. Could not achieve the same effect on Oly's pics.

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I haven't seen dybw
    I'll haft go google!
    I do love oly bw grainy. And I'll admit to being ridiculously giddy with diorama. It's silly. But I always go "wow it looks mini!". Lol

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Same here. Also, dramatic filter makes everything look haunted. I like!

4. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    Dynamic B&W mode

I the bought Panasonic Lumix LX3 because of the Dynamic B&W mode. I love it and use it most of the time on my G1.

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can process your images yourself...

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Agreed

There are many good ways to create powerful B&W images in post processing. I love the Oly art filter, but if I want complete control I shoot in color and convert later. Then I can try different settings (color filters, grain, film emulation, etc.) and get exactly the effect I want. As much as I enjoy the art filters, they would not be the reason I chose a particular camera.

7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Erm, sorry, but photo effects and in camera filters shouldn't have any bearing on making a purchase! I'd never take a photo using one of the Oly art filters, although I might apply one in post to see what it looks like - that way I can have the original image and the filter effect if I want it......

8. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    +1!
    for in-camera effects, if one's serious about 'em, nothing beats an iPhone. The worse the camera, the more they matter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I humbly disagree. It's one thing to try and fiddle with filters on a computer and see if you like it, but having it in camera (even before taking a picture) allows you to use it as part of the creative process. You can see where the vignetting will curve, or decide if you need to alter the light when you add soft focus. These are filters that have always been done on camera, but now we can do it digitally (and without the fuss or long exposures of a pin hole).

My simple view is that there's no reason to shun anything that can be used creatively.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm not saying don't use them, what I'm saying is don't use them to the exclusion of any and every other possibility, which is what you are doing when applying them in camera instead of in post. There's no going back when applied in camera.... you do realise that Olympus Viewer 2 can apply the filters exactly as if you applied them in camera, don't you?

But if you're happy, that's good, seriously - it's your workflow and if it suits you that's the main thing..... :smile:

11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    lol - Never a truer word was spoken.... :rofl:

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you shoot raw+jpeg you can go back.

Fred

13. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    True, but I was (maybe wrongly) assuming the OP would be shooting JPEG....

14. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    It did! Well, on my case. :biggrin:

I had a Canon Ixus before I jumped on the Micro Four Thirds bandwagon. Back then I knew nothing of photography aside from getting good angles and pressing the shutter button.

When it was time for an upgrade, I did research on the new cameras and read the reviews. Every time the Olympus got reviewed the Art filters were always brought up unlike in the Panasonic cameras.

The Art filters is what drew me to an Olympus camera thinking as a noob that I could fast-forward not needing to learn the technical stuffs and achieve creative shots.

In my opinion, Olympus has better color renditions than Panasonic though the latter is better on B&W - deep and contrasty - based on photos what I have seen from both brands.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use art filters on my E-PM1 all the time. I never used any effects filters on the Pany bodies I owned!

16. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Not fun as Oly's?

17. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I used the dynamic black-and-white on my Panny LX3, GF1, and G2; sadly, it went away in the G3 and I doubt it's coming back. Only a minor reason for my switch to Oly...but I hate "take-backs" of features.