Olympus, are you listening? Black 45mm!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dyrmaker83, Feb 11, 2012.

1. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    I want a black version of the 45mm 1.8 lens, and I know I'm not alone. Hopefully a poll will show that.

I've got a black E-PL2, and someday would love a black E-M5. I think black lenses just look more appropriate on black bodies. Given the candid and street potential of the 45mm, black is better than silver when you want to avoid unnecessary attention.

While we're at it, I'd love a black version of the FL-300R flash to match. I really like the low profile/portability of the 300R, but the silver on a black body just looks too mismatched.

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    heh, i'd take an earlier 75/1.8 over a black 45/1.8 =)

3. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    I'm actually less concerned about the 12mm 2.0 and future 75mm 1.8 in black. The faux-metal finish of the 45mm bothers me - like it's trying to be a "metal" lens when it's not. Of course, I'd take black premium lenses too!

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Id love to see black variants...

5. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Absolutely would look better in black.The silver finish has kept me from buying it until now.Since I've now ordered the EM-5 in silver, I will now get this lens.

6. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Yes! I know I shouldn't care, but the silver one looks really ugly on a black Panasonic body IMO.

I may end up getting it anyway. A longer prime is 2nd on my wish list, so I will see what else gets released in the next little while.

7. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Missing option in your pole? "I have the 45 in silver but would sell it and buy it in black if the lens was available."

• Like Like x 2
  8. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    Black or silver? It would be nice for people to have the choice but, to quote an old saying, "handsome is as handsome does". In other words, it doesn't matter what it looks like, it is the results that matter.

Apart from Micro Four Thirds, I also shoot film with Leica M mount rangefinder cameras. All my camera bodies are black but my lenses are a mixture of black and silver. That doesn't matter to me at all.

When shooting, I think of the subject and how the subject is going to look in the finished image. I don't devote any thought to what I or my equipment look like. If I had the choice of a black or silver lens, I think I would choose whichever was cheaper. :wink:

9. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    Even if it's only a slight difference in hue, I think the metal 12mm works better with black than the 45mm:

prod_shot_1-2012_oly12-2.

[​IMG]

Maybe it's just me. Again, I wouldn't be as concerned if the 45mm was actually metal. For what it's worth, the shiny finish of the silver doesn't really match the matte silver finish of Olympus silver bodies. I know I'm nitpicking here.

6399701297_c1338a4ae1_z.

10. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    Well, I guess I could always tape it up. Not ideal, but doesn't look bad to me on this 12mm:

6921405373_3540b806e1_z.

11. dd1

dd1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    As much as I would like a black one, my first wish would be for Oly to produce enough of them to cover demand, none of my local stores has stock...

12. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    D Zone on ebay
    $335 delivered.
    Bought mine on a sunday nite, was shooting with it in california before noon on tuesday

13. Trego

Trego Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    I'd prefer a black, but will likely pickup the silver once i learn my new OM-D

14. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I've had the silver one for a while on my black E-PM1 body and I initially complained about the "lack of black".

As time has passed, I'm beginning to think that the silver and black look quite attractive and unique together, and a good deal better than the Panasonic lenses with their 80's glitter finish!

I think I have been assimilated :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1

I'd also like to see all the Pana lenses come in all black without the gray part.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I used to hate the way my black Panny 20 looked on my white EPL2 (of course, I never made a forum page to complain about it *cough cough*:wink:), with time, though, it's really grown on me. I still prefer the look of my silver lenses, but the monochromatic look rocks in its own way too...

17. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

My partner thinks that the finish on my Pana 14-45mm glistens like Robert Pattinson's skin in "Twilight". Me? I'm just happy with its low light performance on my G3.

Low light ... does that make me a vampire? :confused:

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I figure it will come out after the black 12mm.....

19. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I have a black GF1 and 45mm. I happen to think, out of all my lenses, it is the one the Panny 'wears' the best.

20. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    You probably mean the Panasonic 45mm. Am I right? Or you were just referring to your black GF1? Sorry if I got you wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App