olympus are an optics company first

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kevinparis, Feb 26, 2014.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The zuiko range certainly deserves its high reputation.

As a company I would see them more aligned with Minolta. And Nikon.
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    They did start as a microscope company and that and related products (such as endoscopes) are still their mainstay.
  4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Zuiko 90 f/2 macro is pretty legendary lens, I knew about it even though I started off in the Canon camp. Just get on flickr for samples and you'll soon see why (if you're not familiar with it). I think we may even have our own thread here. It's a lens I've always wanted. Though I don't have much experience with them personally, I've always heard the Zuikos well spoken of.
  5. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Quite interesting when thinking these rumours/legends:
    - mZuiko 75mm 1.8 designed and produced by Sigma
    - mZuiko 45mm 1.8 designed and produced by Konica Minolta

But yes, world is changing and you can see yourself as an optics manufacturer even if you use strong network of design and manufacturing partners for parts of your portfolio.
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Wouldn't it make sense for them to align themselves with an electronics company to complement what they perceive as their strengths? Seriously, these days it's all so outsourced that it's hard to know who actually does anything.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    ...except I don't think they make their own endoscopy optics anymore. I believe they outsource a lot of optics and fibre-optics to KM. Olympus to my knowledge doesn't have a glass foundry either.
  8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Vertical integration is not a prerequisite for taking the credit for one's products.

However, re-badging another company's products would rather disqualify one IMHO.
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Olympus is lot more than cameras and cameras lenses. Zuiko was the name established for their camera lenses, I don’t think their other optics carry the Zuiko name. Olympus makes hundreds of products from finical products to microscopes, including a lot of electronic products.

The Olympus companies are a lot more similar to Nikon than Zeiss, Leica, Panasonic, or Sony.
  10. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Well , will they please make a rectilinear 8mm f3.5 then.....