Olympus Announces PEN E-PM2 and E-PL5 Cameras Using Same Sensor and AF System as OM-D

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Today Olympus announced two new Olympus PEN cameras, the E-PM2 and E-PL5.

Many of us were waiting to see whether Olympus would include the Sony-made OM-D E-M5 sensor in the new Pens, and there will be no disappointment here: both the E-PM2 and the E-PL5 use the E-M5 sensor. Both also feature the improved autofocus system from the OM-D, whereas neither Pen offers the 5-axis image stabilization of that camera.

The E-PM2 and E-PL5 are nearly identical in height and width to the E-PM1 and E-PL3 respectively. The E-PL5 measures 4.4mm (13%) thicker and 56g (21%) heavier than E-PM2 due to the all-metal body construction and swivel rear display of the former. Like their predecessors, both models use a 3-inch, 460k dot LCD.

The E-PM2 has a small fixed grip, whereas the E-PL5 will offer a removable grip with grip options.

The flip-type rear display of the E-PL5 has a greater swivel range than its predecessor, going from approximately 170° up to about 65° down, and now offers the ability to flip the monitor up for self-portrait shooting.

Both new Pens offer a small, single AF target which can be selected for pinpoint focusing beyond the existing 35-point area selection. Both also add a new art filter, Water Color, in addition to the 11 existing filters (Diorama, Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Key Line and Dramatic Tone).

U.S. Pricing, Availability and Product Configurations

The Olympus PEN E-PL5 and the Olympus PEN E-PM2 will be available in October and ship with the Body, Flash FL-LM1, Li-ion battery BLS-5, Li-ion battery charger BCS-5, USB cable, AV cable, Shoulder strap, OLYMPUS Viewer 2 (CD-ROM), Instruction manual and Warranty card. The PEN E-PL5 will also ship with the MCG-4(Changeable Grip).

U.S. Pricing / Product Configurations

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Body Only Estimated Street Price: $649.99

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Body with MSC M.ZUIKO® DIGITAL ED m14-42mm II R f3.5/5.6 Zoom Lens
    Estimated Street Price: $699.99

Olympus PEN E-PL5 (Available in silver, black and white). A complete list of specifications can be found at the Olympus website: Digital Camera : Best Digital Cameras : Digital SLR Camera

Olympus PEN E-PM2 Body Only Estimated Street Price: $549.99

Olympus PEN E-PM2 Body with MSC M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED m14-42mm f3.5/5.6 Prime Zoom Lens
    Estimated Street Price: $599.99

Olympus PEN E-PM2 (Available in silver, black, white and red). A complete list of specifications can be found at the Olympus website: Digital Camera : Best Digital Cameras : Digital SLR Camera

The E-PL5 will be offered in silver, black, or white, while the E-PM2 will be available in those three colors as well as red.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    From DPR: Cameras will default to Panny Lens IS

"Lens IS priority

Another addition to both cameras, to help them work more happily with Panasonic's range of stabilized lenses for the Micro Four Thirds system is new 'Lens IS Priority' option in the menus (which is set to 'on' by default). It means the cameras will make use of the lens' stabilization system, rather than using their in-body systems when available."

Also, up to 8fps.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    EPM2 might be my second body if it performs exactly how it looks on paper so far....
  4. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Any sign of focus peaking? PL5 would be great street camera with rangefinder lenses if....
    • Like Like x 2
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I got a used NEX 5n. I am missing the "wow" factor of focus peaking. In clutters up my view so bad, it distracts from composition, you still have to zoom in (so what's the point? I know people say "it gets me in the ballpark" but you can't get "in the ballpark" just by looking at the picture?)

I am getting many more MISSED shots relying on the 5n focus peaking than I am in using the OMD EVF. I'm going to keep testing, and see if I grow into it, and while it would be nice to have, I'm missing the WOW.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Okay, they look like great cameras and the prices seems more reasonable this time around.

I just don't understand, though, why the E-P2/3 body was the one to get the axe. I totally miss the looks, as well as thumb wheel and flash, of the classic PEN body.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - I like everything else about the E-PL5, I could even live without flash but I want the second control wheel and the body style of the E-P line.
  8. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    +1 for me too. Obviously the announcement of the E-PL5 and E-PM5 without an E-P5 seems to say that there will not be a E-P5 but has Olympus actually _said_ that they're going down to 2 Pen models?

In most ways, the E-PL5 and E-PM5 represent the Pen line "catching up" with the technology released in the OM-D. Maybe they'll surprise us in a few months with a new E-P5 (or E-P6) that improves upon the tech in the OM-D.

But I doubt it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree that they appear to be losing the E-Px line. If the rumors about a lower tiered OM-D are true then I guess I understand the logic of not wanting that camera to be at same price point at E-P5.

But all things being equal I would like to see the E-Px blood line continue. I hold out hope (in vain, I'm sure) that they will stick an EVF on the E-P3 (RF-style in upper left corner) and add the E-M5 sensor and price it just below the E-M5.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm disappointed in the prices. Not only is there not a cheap fast prime announced, but the epm line is getting pricier. It's a fine camera, to be sure - i'd love to have that sensor and the touch screen - but it's priced too high for me, and will still be too high for me when it hits the refurb market, probably. Oh well, I'm happy enough with the epm1.
  11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Disappointed in E-PM2 pricing, no update for me for a while. Will wait until Oly typical price crash. The body appears to be plastic and worse build quality than all metal E-PM1? Oly should provide Lens priority via firmware update to E-P3, E-PL3 and E-PM1 or that's it no more support for 1 year old cams?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What are you guys complaining about? In less than a year, that E-PM2 will be less than $300 body only refurb'ed from Cameta! That will definitely be my next camera...just not for awhile! :wink:
    • Like Like x 9
  13. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Right, but I got my refurb KIT for less than 3 bills. :).

I'm more disappointed in the absence of the once rumored cheaper fast prime. I'm too poor for anything faster than 2.8 that isn't legacy glass right now.

I thought the low entry point on the epm made it very competitive with the mid/high end P&S, but that $100 extra remove the mid from that. Oh well.
  14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    body cap! :D

i just busted out into a beastie boys version of BODY CAPPIN'
    ...anyone else?
    ..........just me?

*flees the thread*
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I wonder if this means that it can now use OIS on the Panasonic lenses that lack OIS on/off switches? That would be a huge improvement, compatibility-wise.

Don't bet on it. The E-PM1 has gone from $500 to $250 in under a year. The one sure thing with m4/3 is that the bodies are worth next to nothing once the next generation is announced...

16. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I think that Lens IS Priority is precisely the feature I've been waiting for, any Panasonic lens with OIS will now be fully functional.

I would like to see the feature spread to OM-D too, might not use it but it'd be nice as an alternative.
  17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    And why that 16:9 screen?! A 3:2 would be my preference ... and makes me glad I finally sprang for an E-M5. I see the E-PM2/PL5 also lose 5-frame AE bracketing. If I'm reading the specs correctly, it's now 3 frames with +/- 2 & 3 for HDR (PP) processing.

Edit: According to the video in this thread, 5-frame bracketing is still available.

I guess I'll have to read the manual! :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Prices seem fair considering it has the OM-D sensor. Any less and you would have to expect an older sensor. EPM-2 looks great as a second more compact body, gonna have to wait a while till refurbs hit the market though.
  19. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    That's different from my experience - I found peaking to be at least as fast and accurate as focusing through a VF-2 viewfinder.

For me there are 3 other bonuses of adding a peaking feature (and zero downsides):
    1-having the option of using the LCD and not only a viewfinder is great when I want to shoot at waist (or head) level
    2-peaking gives a clear depth of field cue, especially when there are several objects in the frame at different distances
    3-almost essential is video mode

I'm not really sure why they don't offer it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Perhaps that will stop the rattlesnake stuff.. :confused: