Olympus Announces New PEN E-P5 and VF-4 Viewfinder

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 9, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As expected, Olympus today announced the new PEN E-P5.

• New design inspired by original PEN F
    • 1/8000s Mechanical Shutter
    • Precise Flash Sync with 1/320s and built-in flash
    • 9fps Sequential Shooting
    • 3-inch Articulated (Tilting) Display
    • Touch Focus and Shutter Release
    • Small Target AF
    • 5 Axis Image Stabilization
    • 16MP Live MOS
    • TruePic VI Image Processor
    • Built-in Wifi
    • QR Code Connection
    • Remote Shutter Release via Smartphone
    • Remote Viewing and Touch AF via Smartphone
    • GPS Capability
    • 2 x 2 Dial Control with custom lever
    • Focus Peaking
    • Interval Shooting with Time Lapse Video
    • Live Bulb with Histogram

Also announced today is a new Olympus VF-4 Viewfinder:

• 2.6 Million Pixel LCD Viewfinder
    • 1.48X Viewfinder Magnification (compared to 1.15 for the VF-2)
    • Eye-Sensor
  2. Xenocerebral

Xenocerebral New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2013
    That's it. I'll be coming to µ4/3 now. This is what I want. :D
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - it's a very compelling camera. Looks beautiful and the specs are spot on - 1/8000 shutter, 1/320 flash sync, two control dials and 5-axis IS. With the same sensor as the OMD and EPL5, it'll be great IQ too.

Still - $1000 body only - ouch! The kit with 17/1.8 and VF4 at $1449 looks much better value.
  4. Xenocerebral

Xenocerebral New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2013
    Yeah. It does sting a bit. I'm going for the 17mm and EVF kit though. I'm also going to sell my Nikon gear so in the end it wont set me back to much.
  5. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Adjusted for sensor size, the viewfinder is as large as a .74 magnification viewfinder on full-frame. This is slightly larger than a Nex-7, and only a little smaller than the best Canon/Nikon/Sony DSLRs. Really to get a more immersive view when framing your shot, you would have to make the move to medium format.
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Very, very nice.

What this mostly does is make me hope for the same/similar add-ons to the next OM-D camera (smartphone integration, faster shutter mostly), although the combi package with the viewfinder (which I'd probably sell off)
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I want one bad! More so than I wanted an E-M5 when it was first announced. The bad thing is the price. OMG :eek: Just a body with the VF4 will cost over $1200. That is crazzzy! I wonder how long until the price comes down.
  9. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    glad things are taking steps forward :) cant wait to see what they come out with to replace the EM5 :)
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very nice.... this is a nice progression for Olympus PEN timeline.

I will most likely wait until the EM6 and consider a used EP5. I guess the VF4 is not compatible with earlier cameras?

The package deal with the 17mm looks to be the much better value. I may be tempted if someone sells one out of their kit. same with the VF4 assuming compatibility.

wow the reception in this thread and the ep5 rumor one is like night and day.
  11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Please remember 'welcome
    back to MFT thread' lol

12. craftysnapper

craftysnapper Mu-43 Regular

It is compatible with all Pens that have a port and theXZ, just that the eye recognition to automatically switch it on and off will not work with those models.
  13. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    This will reignite my love affair with M43.
    Nearly went for a Panasonic GF6 for the built in wifi, but the Pen is the one to have !
  14. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    Nice kit with the 17mm f1.8 and the VF-4
  15. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Awaiting videos of the peak focusing feature, since this was the major weakness of the OMD at that price point.
  16. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    For the same price as the E-P5 body I can get the Fuji XE body WITH a built-in viewfinder. With the nice primes Fuji has come out with they are looking more and more competitive with Olympus.
  17. usayit

Woohoo! I WANT! lol. Hopefully I can find a new E-P5 owner who is willing to part it out. Note to myself... start saving.
  18. usayit

True... and by all means go ahead (not sure if your are considering). Fuji has impressed me lately.

On the flip side, does the other features keep you happy? I wouldn't make a decision or be critical on just one aspect. For one, I found AF of static objects much snappier on the OMD E-M5 and the lens selection more ideal.
  19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!? What does Oly have against allowing metering to be an assignable function to the many customizable buttons on its cameras????? Just keeping a tradition alive??? Just to spite me? I've been begging Oly since the EP1!! Aarghhh!!

End rant.

1/8000, ISO100, focus peaking, time lapse and Wifi remote trigger are very nice!!

Like the new configurations and dials too.
  20. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    So, will Olympus release an update to enable peaking on OM-D? I am hoping (more like praying) they do.