1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Announces New Black Versions of 17mm f/1.8, 45mm f/1.8, and 75mm f/1.8 Lenses

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 9, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Olympus also today announced black versions of their 17mm f/1.8, 45mm f/1.8, and 75mm f/1.8 lenses.

8724663584_df4ea57e3d_o.

8723544595_0fa9903ba0_o.

8723544577_6caf56071a_c.

Thankfully, these black lenses have the same list price as their silver counterparts. Just don't expect to find a hood included :biggrin:.

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Black 75? Ok, count me in.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Hmm.. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I really think a silver finish better suits the metallic body on the Olympus prime lenses (except of course the 45/1.8). Looking at these pictures, I don't think the black finish does as much justice in giving the silver lenses that quality build look -- maybe it's because they're not entirely black and still have that silver strip. They look just like the 60/2.8 which makes me think they too are made of plastic. :confused:

Going black, on the other hand, does boost the look on the 45/1.8 (in spite that ugly silver strip with the blue lining). Before deciding to re-purchase one, I'll wait to hear from others how the black pain holds up to minor dings and scratches. The silver 45/1.8 with its plastic body was a ding and scratch attractant. Heck, I'd pay for a limited edition 45/1.8 with a metal body (good thing, I don't highly prefer that FOV) :rolleyes:

4. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    Plan on purchasing the 75mm black. After owning the silver the only thing that bothered me was the color. I thought the silver not only stuck out to much but made the lens look bigger and oversized on the omd. The black looks oozes quality and elegance. Can't wait!
    Anyone familiar with preorders for b&h or adorama? Any preferences? Would like to order from amazon but do not see a preorder for them. Does amazon usually get stock the day of release? Any help appreciated

5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Black is nice but I won't be selling off my silver ones for this. Lack of included Lens hoods is the bane of Olympus lenses. When they charge $899 for a lens they should throw in a hood, Nikon, Fuji, Sony and others do too.

6. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I will be keeping my silver 75 as it suites it and just adds to the feel of something special.

7. BadKarMah

BadKarMah Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Will there be a black hood available, or will I have to spray paint the silver one black?

8. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I prefer the way the silver lenses look on my black E-P3. In fact If I ever buy the 17mm or the 75mm lenses they will be silver. I'm sorry but I love the bling. :biggrin: The silver lenses look and feel great in your hands. Hopefully the black lenses will be constructed from the same quality materials. But it's nice to have choices.

One last item Olympus please stop penny pinching us to death and give us free hoods!!!!!:mad:

9. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    dang.. what to do?

i have the 17 and 45.. do i finish off the trinity in silver? that black looks so good though?

10. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    As long as you have the trinity there's no wrong choice. :smile: Like I said I hope build quality of the black lenses will be as good as the silver lenses.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - although, if I ever buy the 75mm I'll go for black. They just look better to me. :biggrin:

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I know the black 12/2 is a limited edition, but I wonder what (else) makes the black version worth a significant premium ... especially considering Oly is selling black 17/1.8, 45/1.8 and 75/1.8 for the same price as silver.

BTW, I got an email from Olympus that looks like we can preorder the three new black lenses at the current sale price, $50 off. :smile:

The silver has grown on me though, so I'm not so interested in these new black lenses.

13. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Seems like they just wanted more money but thankfully realised that it was a stupid business practice. Unfortunately we probably won't get a cheaper black 12 :sigh:

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ...And they've not dropped the price of the black 12/2, either.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, they discontinued it instead.

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Interesting. I hadn't noticed that!

17. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the silver still looks better, it has its charm.

18. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I'm not about to replace my current line up of lenses with black ones just because they're now available.

That being said, choice is good. You couldn't believe how many people hate the fact that Olympus lenses are silver and that black limited edition ones would cost more money.

Does anyone know if the 12/2 limited edition would come down in price?

19. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    yes it's lousy, I don´t understand that marketing strategy, why should the olympus/m43 users have to pay higher price for a black one?, olympus play it like black color is the unique color while it's just normal and standard for other manufactures.

20. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    I agree with you, there's something about the silver that makes them look better.