1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Announces M. Zuiko Digital 17mm f/1.8 in Development

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    From the press release:

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm f1.8 in Development

Olympus is also developing a new Micro Four Thirds System lens, the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm f1.8. Optimized for snapshots or street shooting, this is a compact, bright, high-grade lens with large f1.8 aperture that features a high-quality metallic outer finish that exudes quality and outstanding craftsmanship, a snapshot focusing mechanism and a focal length equivalent to 34mm on a 35mm camera. Detailed product specifications and pricing will be available closer to its availability. Olympus plans to release the new lens in the first half of 2013.

7993828426_7000b069d7.

• Like Like x 5
  2. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    a quick size comparison with NEX equivalent :biggrin:

Zeiss_24_1_8_vs_Olympus_17_1.

• Like Like x 2
  3. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    One wonders how much this little lens will be?

4. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    It's the same "line" as the 12 and 75, which are $799 and $899 respectively, so I would guess that it will be somewhere in there.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This would have to be something really special to replace my 20mm. People complain about slow focus but that's never been a problem for me and I like the form factor. It also fit's my kit well between the 14 and 45mm. If I were to replace the 20 at this point it would be with the 25mm f1.4.

• Like Like x 3
  6. kartonos

kartonos Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    wow... i'm soo looking forward for this lens!

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have been hoping and waiting for this lens! :2thumbs:

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    All these updates have just made M43 look even more solid. NEX has a long way to catch up with lenses. Fuji is priced high. M43 covers the full spectrum of gear. It's crazy how two companies with the same lens mount can offer such a diverse range.

9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i swear i just read on some other site its gonna be priced more like the 45... am i crazy? was i just overwhelmed by the fact i have to wait for something i want?!

*tantrum*

i must be crazy, i just went back all my photography bookmarks and i dont see it now
    mebbe during my speed reading i blurred info together
    lol

10. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Ummmm...DOF scales without a focus index or footage/meter scale for zone focusing is just...we'll, I hope they fix it in the final sales version. :-(

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Anyone see dimensions for this lens? I am curious how much longer, if much at all, it would be than the P20?

So, on timing... this is the announcement of a prototype, so I have to figure mid next year? The 75mm and 60mm were announced as commercial lenses in May.

12. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    The scales are there when you snap the focus ring back. Just like on the 12.

13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    it makes me /feel/ like its between the pancakes and the 12 in height... length? what dimension is that?!
    lol

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i think the photo has it pushed fwd to af mode
    when you pull back itll show it

15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I guess you're not familiar with the 12? It has a ring on the barrel that you can pull back from the state shown in the photo which simultaneously puts the camera in MF mode and also exposes a distance scale which lines up with the DOF scale on the front of the lens. It also engages some sort of gear or cog or something that makes the focus ring feel like an honest to god manual focus lens and limits the range of the ring to correspond with the distance scale. It works incredibly well for zone focus and for switching easily and often between zone and auto focus. Its a great mechanism and all indications (including Oly's announcement) are that the 17 will share that.

Ironically, the "snap" focus ring, while perfect for zone focus, is actually less precise for critical focus applications than leaving the lens in full "by wire" mode. With the focus ring pulled back there are very very small discrete jumps or steps in the focus that can make critical focus a little tricky, but the lens is great for critical focus when its in full by-wire mode. And then you pull the ring back for zone or hyperfocal shooting and its more than accurate enough for that.

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  16. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    Wow, this is extremely exciting. I've been making do with the kit lens for the 17-25mm range as I had a really bad case of buyers indesisiveness. I don't think this will make it any better though. :biggrin:

I hope it's in the O45 price range, as that is my favourite m43 lens :) (and price for quality!)- but that's probably wishful thinking...

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    As I stated in the other thread,
    Price will be dependent on how much ED & HR glass it will have. Right now, the M. Zuiko 75mm has the most amount of ED & HR glass of any Olympus M. Zuiko lens....

18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    please don't be delayed. please don't be delayed.
    please be less than the 12/2. please be less than the 12/2 =)

• Like Like x 1
  19. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I still use my old 17 because I love the focal length.This one with zone focusing abilities, sign me up, even if it is in silver!

• Like Like x 1
  20. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse