Olympus announces intent to sell imaging business to JIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I thought they were always the same site owners? It was always mostly click-bait with some good information in between. I just ignored all the other stuff. But it's true. He has not been very pro mu43 of late. With all the doom and gloom some people don't seem to remember that one of the system's strengths was that it had two manufacturers to back it up. I've always preferred Panasonic (their lenses were smaller, for the most part). Really nothing changes for me.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Looks like the source from this thread below wasn’t too far off the mark back in November 2019 - 8 months later here we are with the JIP announcement having been made just short of 8 months later
Someone somewhere obviously knew something was on the cards - too much of a coincidence for it not to be linked to last month’s announcement

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/rumor...camera-division-in-less-than-8-months.106275/

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I would say that the former 43admin just sold the site to the mirrorlessrumors's site owner (who also runs a sonyrumor site?). You can see the same click-bait headlines, speculation based on speculation, dishonesty just to gain more page views (=higher revenue). This could happen 3-4 years ago. Since then we could read several times a year about "how I wish Oly went FF path". Suspicious. The fact he links Tony Northrups' videos so often, he bashes Oly and Panny for this and that is also a sign he is not interested in m4/3 at all. And when he came out with a rumour about incoming rumour... Rumour sites are just tabloids these days unfortunately with broad audience as it is with tabloid newspapers and magazines. I would expect 43rumor will support the system/community but it is the opposite: the nightmare for Olympus it seems.

Still I don't undestand all the bias against Olympus and m4/3 as a system. Do you need FF be taken seriously? What is that? Do we all buy the most expensive car? Do we all live in large houses? I think we are free to choose what fit our needs. Even if we can afford more pricey item sometimes the more handy one is better.
I think it is that some people just cannot be satisfied with what they have. Some have to belittle other formats to make them feel like their purchase was the correct one. I see this same mentality when out riding my bicycle. Some motorists cannot stand to see someone out exercising and have to do something to take their frustrations out...some the hurl obscenities at you or even worse throw something at you. I have had both things happen to me several times over the years. Same with camera equipment. Who else should care if you are enjoying your chosen camera format? It is what pleases the owner that counts. All formats are tools to accomplish the photographic end you have envisioned and it should not matter what format it is shot.
GQR

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I think it is that some people just cannot be satisfied with what they have. Some have to belittle other formats to make them feel like their purchase was the correct one. I see this same mentality when out riding my bicycle. Some motorists cannot stand to see someone out exercising and have to do something to take their frustrations out...so the hurl obscenities at you or even worse throw something at you. I have had both things happen to me several times over the years. Same with camera equipment. Who else should care if you are enjoying your chosen camera format? It is what pleases the owner that counts. All formats are tools to accomplish the photographic end you have envisioned and it should not matter what format it is shot.
GQR

It's always been this way. I went to an exhibition in 1984 with my Minolta XD7 around my neck. A man on the Cambo stand pointed out that my pride and joy was a 'toy'. My mate (who had a Linhof) took rather too much pleasure in pointing out that his Cambos were a pile of sh*te. Gitzo tripod owners sneer at Manfrotto. Manfrotto owners sneer at Slik. Hasselblad were better than Bronica, Metz were better than Sunpak (I had the 622 pro with the diffused head - I beg to differ). And so it goes on, and on, and on, and on.......

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Dead right. When I ride my carbon road bike, I get abuse. When I ride my folding British Brompton, Everyone has a go, clown bike, child's bike. Then there are those who look incredulous when I fold it up. One of my group of photographers, Nikon D850. Wondered what I had carried into a cafe one day. When we left, he asked how I was getting home. I told him on my bike, where had I left it he asked, and how would I carry my package on it. Whipping off the cover, to reveal the folded bike, he was very unsure. One on holiday, a fellow photographer said I needed a real camera. Another photo Society group outing to a waterpark, said I needed a bigger lens and why did I have a monopod when a tripod was needed. I no longer go to that society. I got some great shots with my P100-300 on the day.

Glevum Owl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I've never had or even ridden a Brompton but regularly saw them when I commuted into and around London. I've never understood the attitude of some towards these little engineering marvels nor the slagging off that M43 gets from certain quarters. But then I've never understood technology prejudice of any kind and have learned simply to ignore it and carry on as I want.

To get slightly back OT, I meet occasionally with a small group of my photography friends: one uses an older APS-C Nikon, another an early Sony Alpha and another still has a Quattro. All 'out of date' / defunct / unsupported cameras but all still working and still productive, creative tools. I'm the only one shooting M43. And no one cares. Out of curiosity, we play with each others cameras but we're more concerned with the output.

Whilst I'm saddened by the recent announcement, I have no worries about my future using Olympus' kit.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's always been this way. I went to an exhibition in 1984 with my Minolta XD7 around my neck. A man on the Cambo stand pointed out that my pride and joy was a 'toy'. My mate (who had a Linhof) took rather too much pleasure in pointing out that his Cambos were a pile of sh*te. Gitzo tripod owners sneer at Manfrotto. Manfrotto owners sneer at Slik. Hasselblad were better than Bronica, Metz were better than Sunpak (I had the 622 pro with the diffused head - I beg to differ). And so it goes on, and on, and on, and on.......

Hasselbald went to the moon. Bronica...to obscurity.

Just sayin’ (cough Mamiya rocked both cough).

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I think it is that some people just cannot be satisfied with what they have. Some have to belittle other formats to make them feel like their purchase was the correct one. I see this same mentality when out riding my bicycle. Some motorists cannot stand to see someone out exercising and have to do something to take their frustrations out...some the hurl obscenities at you or even worse throw something at you. I have had both things happen to me several times over the years. Same with camera equipment. Who else should care if you are enjoying your chosen camera format? It is what pleases the owner that counts. All formats are tools to accomplish the photographic end you have envisioned and it should not matter what format it is shot.
GQR
While I tend to agree, I have been surrounded by a group of 4 cyclists who pounded on my car and shouted insults at me because I blew the horn at one of them who swerved out in front of me from the bike lane on an 80 kmh road.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You all know that a good number of our fellow humans are unrepentant douche bags, right? No need to make that point over and over again. And really, if somebody does make a snide comment about your camera, bike, car or whatever, why do you care in the least?

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
You all know that a good number of our fellow humans are unrepentant douche bags, right? No need to make that point over and over again. And really, if somebody does make a snide comment about your camera, bike, car or whatever, why do you care in the least?
An insignificant percentage who tend to make a disproportionate amount of noise ... :(.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Latest update from Olympus and JIP.

https://www.olympus-global.com/news...AiNUsUm_ca_nQDJta_-uXKgahJX_v2ijSD3xYWowYXouI

The New Imaging Company would assume and build growth strategy around the renowned Zuiko, OM and other brands, featuring optical and lens technologies developed and cultivated by Olympus over decades. Assuming the R&D and manufacturing frameworks, the New Imaging Company would commit to deliver high quality and reliability products and services to the Olympus customers around the globe.

On July 2nd, Olympus made a global announcement regarding the latest M. Zuiko Digital Lens roadmap. The lens introduction plans presented in this roadmap will continue to be carried out even after the business transfer occurs.

New product development for each product category within the Imaging business will continue and we will keep you up to date as we make progress.

Last edited:

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nothing new in there? Or did I miss something. Otherwise, the new macro seems to be still happening.

Yes, there was certainly further clarification regarding further R&D and manufacturing including continuing with the existing roadmap after the transfer. They will also continue to sell globally so they are not only focusing on Asia as some sites had suggested.

Last edited:

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes, there was certainly further clarification regarding further R&D and manufacturing including continuing with the existing roadmap after the transfer. They will also continue to sell globally so they are not only focusing on Asia as some sites had suggested.

Still ambivalence on PEN and Tough, stated as "other brands". Those missing specificities are critical in deciphering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom