Olympus announces intent to sell imaging business to JIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mu-43 Legend
For those who haven't seen it, we updated rule #2 in the TOS. Please review it (pasted below for conveince). New language in italics.

https://www.mu-43.com/help/terms/

"No personal attacks or insults allowed. In general, stick to discussing the point at hand, and not to attack, characterize, or otherwise comment on the perceived motives or perceived character of other posters."

(this is not targeted at any one individual, this is just the last place i read in all the "Oly is dead" threads this morning, so it's an overall helpful reminder across multiple threads).

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Well, tomorrow me and my girl will visit a camera store, and exchange some old equipment for at least one new Olympus ‘travel’ lens, the Olympus 14-150.
She’s also a bit envious of my EM5 III, She uses an EM10 III.
She likes the EM5’s grip I added, and the shutter sound (which is really soft and buttery). I think she wants it :crying:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Well, tomorrow me and my girl will visit a camera store, and exchange some old equipment for at least one new Olympus ‘travel’ lens, the Olympus 14-150.
She’s also a bit envious of my EM5 III, She uses an EM10 III.
She likes the EM5’s grip I added, and the shutter sound (which is really soft and buttery). I think she wants it :crying:
She would be foolish NOT to want it. It's the camera that is closest to perfection at the moment. :) (If only it had a screen that would tilt upwards from its default position... And obviously a full frame sensor because EEEEVERYBODY knows that camera isn't a camera unless it has a fullframe sensor, right?) :rolleyes:

My wife and I were shooting bears last weekend (eh..., photographing bears to be precise). So anyway... She was using her E-M5 and noticed all the cool stuff my E-M5III can do and her E-M5 can't. I bet we'll be getting another E-M5III to our household sooner than later. Well, actually two since I'm going to get another one as a backup camera when the price is right.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
She would be foolish NOT to want it. It's the camera that is closest to perfection at the moment. :) (If only it had a screen that would tilt upwards from its default position... And obviously a full frame sensor because EEEEVERYBODY knows that camera isn't a camera unless it has a fullframe sensor, right?) :rolleyes:

My wife and I were shooting bears last weekend (eh..., photographing bears to be precise). So anyway... She was using her E-M5 and noticed all the cool stuff my E-M5III can do and her E-M5 can't. I bet we'll be getting another E-M5III to our household sooner than later. Well, actually two since I'm going to get another one as a backup camera when the price is right.
Sounds good! That was an important reason to move to m43, both of us using one system, being able to exchange lenses, more or less similar controls etc.

Because of the discussions here, and all the news I have been comparing the camera’s I had, and the results over the years.

In 2008 I bought my first digital SLR, the then just introduced Nikon D300 (and a Tokina 12-24 after I realised my 17-35 used on a Nikon F4s was no longer a true wide angle :doh: ), and went on a holiday to the Swiss Alps.
I just ran the 292th picture (the raw file) I took with the D300 through Lightroom on my iPad. (in 2008, we had to wait for another two years for the first iPad to show up :whistling: Times have changed).

pics are cropped, but on my iPad the resolution is there, all 12 MP of it.
44D0EBC9-2492-4F05-AF8E-046CC05569E4.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and the jpg from 2008:

7092B92C-8168-4D68-91B9-CCD8E86EB1C5.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The software (and skills using the available software) has improved as well over the years.

My point: I’m still very happy with the pictures taken with the D300, and the 20 Mp sensor of the EM5 III is better in every way, not too mention other capabilities.
And size and weight. I was 37 at the time, but lugging all the stuff around almost gave me a heart attack

(edit: before this post I was thinking about use cases for modern 35mm sensors. First thing which came to my mind was ‘high contrast scenes like walking in the Alps on a sunny day. Then I checked some old files, and eeeuh, oh well, never mind that use case)

Last edited:

RickinAust

Mu-43 Regular
I'm heavily invested in M43. Basically it gives me the size and quality I want, mostly for traveling. I think I'll just wait and see what develops before making any decisions on selling and moving to another system. However, it would have to be Panasonic as FF and APSC lenses are too large and heavy. Fuji may be a go but I have not looked at them seriously. In the meant time I'll just continue to enjoy shooting with my Oly gear. Although given this Pandemic I have not vetured out a lot.
Also tried searching the site for some of BDR-529's photos but could not find any?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend

Does the EM5.3 have the in body focus stacking? Also thinking of it as a backup once the price comes down, [or as a dedicated macro camera]

jastormont

Mu-43 Rookie
I thought this was a good video I wanted to share with you all. I agree that the camera business needs to look at the Watch industry had to back when digital watches came out. Cameras are becoming like having a nice mechanical watch.

Here is the vid:

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Odd that Sigma keeps swinging away, but they are a privately held company so not victims to shareholders who often gamble on the company making money for them, or those shareholders who want it folded up and cashing out on its sell off.

Many people I know who play the stock market don't even use the products they buy shares of. The day-trader ones I know want cash quick and if a company lays people off they are in it and out fast. Could care less if the company folds as they are someplace else by then.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Odd that Sigma keeps swinging away

Most of their product line is sold for other camera manufacturers & systems. So it is much easier to for them to add or lean towards the popular brands & systems (Like adding Sony) and dump then ones that are no so popular anymore (like they did with 4/3rds).

Jeroen81

Mu-43 Regular

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
I thought this was a good video I wanted to share with you all. I agree that the camera business needs to look at the Watch industry had to back when digital watches came out. Cameras are becoming like having a nice mechanical watch.

Here is the vid:

An interesting perceptive and it might be true sooner than later.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
No source. Admin of 4/3 rumors is just playing childish. To bad, it used to be a normal source of MFT rumors.
Yeah, times have changed. That site has turned into the biggest m4/3 bashing site and the admin keeps on throwing gas on the flames. So sad...

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren

Here is the vid:

I love how Olympus has always thought outside the box, as many of the video's examples show. That daring to be different is what makes the brand so special and fun to be a part of. While it doesn't always pan out, Olympus innovations were so often ahead of the game. I think it would be interesting to do a video or post of all the innovations Olympus has brought to photography over the years. Whether they were the pioneers or the ones who perfected an earlier idea, the list is quite substantial and has made a huge impact on the camera industry.

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
No source. Admin of 4/3 rumors is just playing childish. To bad, it used to be a normal source of MFT rumors.

Yeah, times have changed. That site has turned into the biggest m4/3 bashing site and the admin keeps on throwing gas on the flames. So sad...

I would say that the former 43admin just sold the site to the mirrorlessrumors's site owner (who also runs a sonyrumor site?). You can see the same click-bait headlines, speculation based on speculation, dishonesty just to gain more page views (=higher revenue). This could happen 3-4 years ago. Since then we could read several times a year about "how I wish Oly went FF path". Suspicious. The fact he links Tony Northrups' videos so often, he bashes Oly and Panny for this and that is also a sign he is not interested in m4/3 at all. And when he came out with a rumour about incoming rumour... Rumour sites are just tabloids these days unfortunately with broad audience as it is with tabloid newspapers and magazines. I would expect 43rumor will support the system/community but it is the opposite: the nightmare for Olympus it seems.

Still I don't undestand all the bias against Olympus and m4/3 as a system. Do you need FF be taken seriously? What is that? Do we all buy the most expensive car? Do we all live in large houses? I think we are free to choose what fit our needs. Even if we can afford more pricey item sometimes the more handy one is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom