Olympus announces intent to sell imaging business to JIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Nobody in this forum has stated the obvious which is "Meh, Panasonic and Sigma keep developing new MFT bodies and lenses so I'll just keep using my Olympus MFT set which works fine, and buy new Sigma and Panasonic lenses when they come to market. After X years I might need to switch to a new body but that will be Panny then and the bulk of my money went into Olympus lenses which I can keep using. No harm done here."
Actually if you’d read enough posts on this forum (and on other forums and fb pages) you’d know that quite a lot of people here have said something very similar or along those lines
You need to be better informed before making sweeping statements !

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
There is no need to get insulted if I'm not trying to insult anybody. ....

When I look at the two latest bodies which Olympus launched and the price point that was chosen for them, it's clear that Olympus board who accepted this product roadmap was indeed counting heavily on "stupid loyal customers". Well, maybe they did also grossly miscalculate how crowded the FF marget got this soon and how fierce competition this created
So you are not trying to insult anybody but Olympus was counting on ...’Stupid loyal customers...’
You are doing a great job of ‘not insulting people’ on here especially those who have bought the last two Olympus bodies ! 🙄

BDR-529

Mu-43 Regular
So you are not trying to insult anybody but Olympus was counting on ...’Stupid loyal customers...’
You are doing a great job of ‘not insulting people’ on here especially those who have bought the last two Olympus bodies ! 🙄
Since I'm not talking with my teenage daughter here but with adults, I simply assumed that I don't have to add 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 after anything I say in sarcastic way.

I was apparently wrong. Apologies for that.

It's still a fact that Olympus is now forced to exit camera business entirely which proves that the price point of Olympus lineup was wrong. There's nothing wrong with the products itself, it's just extemely difficult to sell for example 1530€ M1.3 bodies to non-Olympus customes who could buy FF Nikon Z body for 1360€ at the same time *).

With all the FF hype around, everyone except existing MFT owners can't even consider moving or switching to MFT if they start today, save for those who shoot mostly video and require professional quality but only Panny serves them.

*) quoted prices are from german camera stores who sell to everywhere inside EU, even delivery is free at this price point. And yes, there seems to be a sudden panic at Nikon as well because a couple of days ago they started dumping Z6 (note: just found a better price for M1.3)

Last edited:

WT21

Super Moderator
For those who haven't seen it, we updated rule #2 in the TOS. Please review it (pasted below for conveince). New language in italics.

https://www.mu-43.com/help/terms/

"No personal attacks or insults allowed. In general, stick to discussing the point at hand, and not to attack, characterize, or otherwise comment on the perceived motives or perceived character of other posters."

(this is not targeted at any one individual, this is just the last place i read in all the "Oly is dead" threads this morning, so it's an overall helpful reminder across multiple threads).

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Well, tomorrow me and my girl will visit a camera store, and exchange some old equipment for at least one new Olympus ‘travel’ lens, the Olympus 14-150.
She’s also a bit envious of my EM5 III, She uses an EM10 III.
She likes the EM5’s grip I added, and the shutter sound (which is really soft and buttery). I think she wants it :crying:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Well, tomorrow me and my girl will visit a camera store, and exchange some old equipment for at least one new Olympus ‘travel’ lens, the Olympus 14-150.
She’s also a bit envious of my EM5 III, She uses an EM10 III.
She likes the EM5’s grip I added, and the shutter sound (which is really soft and buttery). I think she wants it :crying:
She would be foolish NOT to want it. It's the camera that is closest to perfection at the moment. :) (If only it had a screen that would tilt upwards from its default position... And obviously a full frame sensor because EEEEVERYBODY knows that camera isn't a camera unless it has a fullframe sensor, right?) :rolleyes:

My wife and I were shooting bears last weekend (eh..., photographing bears to be precise). So anyway... She was using her E-M5 and noticed all the cool stuff my E-M5III can do and her E-M5 can't. I bet we'll be getting another E-M5III to our household sooner than later. Well, actually two since I'm going to get another one as a backup camera when the price is right.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
She would be foolish NOT to want it. It's the camera that is closest to perfection at the moment. :) (If only it had a screen that would tilt upwards from its default position... And obviously a full frame sensor because EEEEVERYBODY knows that camera isn't a camera unless it has a fullframe sensor, right?) :rolleyes:

My wife and I were shooting bears last weekend (eh..., photographing bears to be precise). So anyway... She was using her E-M5 and noticed all the cool stuff my E-M5III can do and her E-M5 can't. I bet we'll be getting another E-M5III to our household sooner than later. Well, actually two since I'm going to get another one as a backup camera when the price is right.
Sounds good! That was an important reason to move to m43, both of us using one system, being able to exchange lenses, more or less similar controls etc.

Because of the discussions here, and all the news I have been comparing the camera’s I had, and the results over the years.

In 2008 I bought my first digital SLR, the then just introduced Nikon D300 (and a Tokina 12-24 after I realised my 17-35 used on a Nikon F4s was no longer a true wide angle :doh: ), and went on a holiday to the Swiss Alps.
I just ran the 292th picture (the raw file) I took with the D300 through Lightroom on my iPad. (in 2008, we had to wait for another two years for the first iPad to show up :whistling: Times have changed).

pics are cropped, but on my iPad the resolution is there, all 12 MP of it.
44D0EBC9-2492-4F05-AF8E-046CC05569E4.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and the jpg from 2008:

7092B92C-8168-4D68-91B9-CCD8E86EB1C5.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The software (and skills using the available software) has improved as well over the years.

My point: I’m still very happy with the pictures taken with the D300, and the 20 Mp sensor of the EM5 III is better in every way, not too mention other capabilities.
And size and weight. I was 37 at the time, but lugging all the stuff around almost gave me a heart attack

(edit: before this post I was thinking about use cases for modern 35mm sensors. First thing which came to my mind was ‘high contrast scenes like walking in the Alps on a sunny day. Then I checked some old files, and eeeuh, oh well, never mind that use case)

Last edited:

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm heavily invested in M43. Basically it gives me the size and quality I want, mostly for traveling. I think I'll just wait and see what develops before making any decisions on selling and moving to another system. However, it would have to be Panasonic as FF and APSC lenses are too large and heavy. Fuji may be a go but I have not looked at them seriously. In the meant time I'll just continue to enjoy shooting with my Oly gear. Although given this Pandemic I have not vetured out a lot.
Also tried searching the site for some of BDR-529's photos but could not find any?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Does the EM5.3 have the in body focus stacking? Also thinking of it as a backup once the price comes down, [or as a dedicated macro camera]

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Odd that Sigma keeps swinging away, but they are a privately held company so not victims to shareholders who often gamble on the company making money for them, or those shareholders who want it folded up and cashing out on its sell off.

Many people I know who play the stock market don't even use the products they buy shares of. The day-trader ones I know want cash quick and if a company lays people off they are in it and out fast. Could care less if the company folds as they are someplace else by then.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Odd that Sigma keeps swinging away
Most of their product line is sold for other camera manufacturers & systems. So it is much easier to for them to add or lean towards the popular brands & systems (Like adding Sony) and dump then ones that are no so popular anymore (like they did with 4/3rds).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom