Olympus announces forthcoming E-P1 firmware update

Chow Monkey

Mu-43 Regular
Olympus has announced a forthcoming firmware update for its E-P1 Micro Four Thirds camera. Version 1.3 will address the occasional freezing of the camera display while manually focusing.

Source: dpreview

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Unfortunately, not until March - I'm hoping they will have included one or two more fixes / enhancements by then!

Good tip, thanks for the heads up!

Cheers

Brian

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
Neither, and it wouldn't help :wink:

If you mean there's nothing that could help me, that's true... :biggrin:

About a focus scale or any other method to control the focus distance, one must admit it's missing from the E-Px.
The C5060 had both a focus scale (DP1/2 style) and the ability to record and remember the focus distance. No mistery for Oly's staff...
Say it would be a nice addition, although it's easy enough to pre-focus on an object at the desired distance if you want to play with hyperfocal.

Well, ok: it's missing from every camera I know. That leaves me asking why, cause with these modern cameras it would be so easy to implement an "hyperfocal" option, for example. They already read the lens and the aperture data, and we'd have an easy "emergency" shooting mode. Many street and candid shooters know the difference between "fast" and "instant".
Instant is a camera set at hyperfocal, be it a pro beast or a compact.

I told you: nobody can help... :rofl:

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus

silverbullet

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't know whether I translated correcly or am missing the point, but some Ricohs have such a focus-control by screen, they call it Snap-Shot.
The test GRD3 I had can easily adjusted to different distances fom 1 meter in steps to infinity and by pressing the shutter button full, the chosen distance comes immediately without noticable delay.

""With this quick-shooting function, AF operates when the shutter release button is pressed half way, but for a one-push full-press, the photo is taken at a set focal distance. (1m/2.5m/5m/∞). This distance setting can be easily changed. Since the AF does not operate for a one-push full press, you will not miss the moment.

*ON/OFF can be selected. This setting is only possible when focus is set to Multi AF or Spot AF.

*Focal distance can be changed by turning the up-down dial while pushing the button. ""

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
That sounds ideal Bernd, no wonder Ricoh get a lot of respect from street shooters.

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bernd,
My GX200 worked the same way. It also has a stepped zoom.
That with snap mode makes a great interface.
To bad the IQ just wasn't that good.

Latest threads

Top Bottom