Olympus and telephoto (legacy)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hodad66, Jan 20, 2012.

1. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    As you can tell from my sig... I've been shooting Pany all the way.
    I also like legacy glass and keep getting longer telephotos. My question
    is how would an EP-2 work on a 500mm lens? Any telephoto (legacy)
    experience will help.

What I'm after is just a little help with the image stabilization in
    these long, manual focus lenses. Any thoughts?
  2. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    In my experience the IBIS of the smaller Olympus cameras (E-620, E-P2) is useless with any focal length longer than 100mm. I have used both cameras with long lenses (ZD 50-200/f2.8, OM 300/f4.5) and the only way to get real sharp shots id using a tripod.

The E-P2 has another nasty thing with manual focusing long lenses which is the 7x zoom of the manual focus aid. 7x is the smallest zoom step and unusable with long lenses especially when handheld.

Hope this helps.
  3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    A 500mm lens (any 50mm lens) on MFT is going to be a serious challenge. To begin with, you're looking at 1000mm equivalent field of view (if you're used to the 35mm format), which is very very long - any camera shake is going to show up. Unless you pay a lot of money it's going to be slow, so a tripod will be a must. If you pay lots of money and get a fast version, it's going to weigh heaps, so a tripod will be a must.

Finally, if you're using a tripod, which you should be, you shouldn't be using image stabilisation anyway...
  4. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    I agree! I tried the E-p3 with the oly ZD 300' it is so unwieldy, the ergonomics of the camera are just not appropriate for the long lens, it is near impossible to hold so that you can get a good sharp image, whereas the E5 with the same is quite possible to hand hold for sharp and quickly taken images. The 50-200 is slightly easier to control on the E-P3 but still a long way from perfect. The problem is as I am beginning to come to terms with the m43 system will have their own lenses that will be lighter and ergonomicly designed for the smaller bodies, the companies want you to buy them! I desperately hope the new OM series ( with probable battery/ grip attachments) will make handling heavyweight lenses easier but am not holding my breath ...
    Anyhow and m43 f2.8 300 will be probably over a kilo and astronomically expensive
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    With any manual focus lens, I would go for the E-PL2 over the E-P2 without a question! Well, I would pick the E-PL2 over the E-P2 for any lens in actuality, lol.

For one thing, the E-PL2 has a direct magnification button which is convenient to use. On the E-P2 you have to use the Info Zoom option, which is cumbersome. If you use the LCD, the E-PL2 screen is twice the resolution of the E-P2, which is a lot better for manual focus. Of course, the VF-2 is still the best. :)

The newer generation PENs (E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1) however have the magnify zoom settings of 5x, 7x, 10x, and 14x (the older PENs didn't have the 5x). As Henk pointed out you may like the 5x zoom better for long lenses, though I personally use 7x and 10x effectively, so this is not a big deal for me. The larger size and grip of the E-PL2 will be more of a boon with the lenses you're thinking of than the 5x zoom.

Personally though, I don't know if it's just my technique or what, but I don't find much difference holding a large lens on a small body as on a large one. With all but the tiniest lenses I hold the camera by the lens not the body. The grip does make a difference, giving you a bit of extra support on the other end, but the lens itself is still the main support. If you have a tripod collar for your lens though, then use it even when hand-holding! The tripod collar can give you a place to rest the lens on while freeing your fingers to move the zoom and focus rings. I point the support of my tripod collar on the Zuiko 50-200mm to the left, and that allows me wrist support in landscape orientation or palm support in portrait orientation.
  6. hodad66

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Thanks for the info guys....... in my case I have a 400 Nikon
    and might get a 500 Canon. I already have a 300 Canon also.
    I would be shooting from a tripod & on a gimble head. Like Ned
    said it's more like the camera is a small handle at the end of
    the lens.

At 1000mm, even on the tripod w/gimble, just pushing the shutter
    can cause movement. I was just wondering if the Olympus IBIS
    would work to minimize that?
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    On a good tripod, it would make it worse (introduce vibrations). On an unstable one, it could help a bit. I should think a cable release would be more useful in this situation.

8. hodad66

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    thanks DH...... I was wondering about that. I have a cable for
    static shooting it becomes awkward while tracking a bird in motion.
    Guess that I'll stick with the Pany's... the $299 for an EP-2 (if it
    helped) just seemed like a good idea.

Without stabilization I might look more at the NEX 5n or dream of
    the NEX 7.......