Olympus and Panasonic interviews posted.....

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Djarum, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks Jason. Your tops on the research scout list.
    Don

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Some of my thoughts.

From both Olympus and Panasonic, it seems one of the goals in 2011 is consumer education, especially here in America. It appears that Japan has the largest market, Europe second, and we are well far behind. Both companies address issues of education and how they see where their cameras fit in the grand scheme of things.

Both interviews also address social networking, and the Olympus interview even address online photo books.

Out of both interviews, I feel the only thing that really is a wrong perspective from a company is the following quote from the Panasonic Executive:

"Pepple: I guess I still see the online social networking world as part of that opportunistic photography, almost disposable photography. You take a picture of your friends and post it, that kind of thing. Granted, it's going to live a lot longer on the 'net than just the current moment, but I don't think that most people are posting images as a form of documentation or remembering their lives or whatever. So, the cameras that are utilized in that sense are oftentimes a little less expensive, have blogging modes or uploading modes. If you're buying a camera for that purpose, you probably have a second camera. You probably have a nicer camera that is for the purpose of documenting, whether you're young or old. With social-networking imaging, it's hard to say if it will become more of a location for documenting your pictures and keeping them. I haven't really seen a trend toward that recently. I can tell you that people do invest in external hard drives, to store their pictures that they really want to keep. They don't trust the 'net yet. Whether or not it can be for just backup and storage...it's not tangible, it's very difficult, even for the younger generation. There is a lot of work being done in terms of software, in terms of hard storage, to store locally. Maybe that'll change in the future, but I don't know"

I believe he is grossly underestimating what people do with Facebook and Myspace. Many people (including my best friends and family) really use these types of sites for personal documentation, including the pictures they take with their cell phone or 99 dollar point and shoot camera and upload their photos to social networking sites.

In the context of taking pictures for both art and documentation, higher end compacts to SLR type cameras will always have a place. However, as social networking and ease of distribution of photos becomes more prevelent, I believe that cell phones and small point and shoot cameras will become the standard for personal documentation. People are no longer printing 4x6s to share with their family, instead, they are sending web-sized resolution pictures over email, through social networking sites, or even through text. I know many people who either no longer own a dedicated camera, or if they do, rarely use it.

My own personal example, I took several photos of the big snow event we had earlier this week with my E-P1. However, I took several with my cell phone just to send to my family in Florida over text message. It is just that much easier to do.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    :eek:

5. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    i do see that marketing :43: in the US is challenging. reading the interview, one thing Panasonic mentions: But as compact cameras got smaller and smaller, and they got more resolution, more features, touch control, these types of things, people were thinking, "Hey, this is good enough. It takes a great picture and it's small. Can't I have now an interchangeable lens on that?"
    i'm not sure that question comes up as often as they think. in fact, i'd be very curious to see how many consumer DSLR users ever go beyond the kit lens. imo, people want convenience. i think Panasonic is on the right track with the GF2. (i personally just picked up a GF1 with no regrets because i prefer the traditional button/dial interface.) people are getting more and more used to touch interfaces and they are the interface of choice for the younger generation. i think Panasonic needs to really market the the advantages :43: has over typical compacts.

durability - the metal casing and solid feel you get with this level of camera.
    the much better low light ability you get with the larger sensor and faster lens.
    speed - from power on to capture; burst; much faster AF.

those are the things i think are most frustrating to compact users and very good reasons to move up to :43:. that market isn't looking to buy and carry around five different specialty lenses, at least not at first. they want convenience and better performance.
    the other thing is that Panasonic needs to get their product into the big box stores. the Best Buy in my area has only one :43: and that is the Olympus E-PL1 with one additional lens behind a display case.