Olympus and Panasonic Advertising

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dornblaser, Dec 12, 2013.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I have read a lot of posts complaining of the lack of advertising by Olympus and Panasonic. The last several months of Outdoor Photographer has featured mirrorless cameras. The October issue had a write up on the GX7 and the November issue had an article "Small Camera Revolutions. Will Mirrorless take Over? Big Sensors, Sharp Lenses, Key Accessories". The December issue has full page ads by both Olympus and Panasonic and a nice write up on the OM-D EM-1. For those of us who spend time outdoors, mirrorless makes so much sense. This is just informational and I am not trying to make a point.
  2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    It's good that photography magazines are featuring mirrorless cameras. But I do not believe it is a "complaint" to point out that this sort of attention is fine but it does not reach the vast majority of consumers who might be in the market for a better camera but who do not look at photography magazines.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Both company should have ad on TV, at lease low end product line display every store at bestbuy, walmart, target..etc, not just order online.
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Just speaking from an Australian perspective, Olympus advertising has been quite prominent for the last couple of years and, in my eyes, quite good.

Panasonic Micro Four Thirds on the other hand is somewhat MIA.

I don't think I've ever seen a camera add on TV over here, but then I don't watch much...
  5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I remember Olympus had a TV commercial a few years ago when the first Pen was out. At the end the narrator said that the commercial had been recorded with the Pen.
  6. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Panasonic advertising was prominent in the UK until about 18 months, they have since pulled it back. Panasonic really needs to make their marketing more effective (not necessarily spend much more), they need to increase their social media, internet and viral marketing as well as overhaul their Lumix G experience websites...
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I think US advertising costs are so high due to the size of the market that they can't effectively compete with Canikon. Targeted ads, in photo magazines make more sense, at least for now. Product placement, and educating the sales staff, of major retailers would also help.
  8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Olympus does advertise in non-photography outlets. News Corp and Conde Nast both of which are very large networks. Those are the only 2 major network print outlets I see, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are advertising in other major outlets.

TV advertising may not be visible as we not even see it, the value proposition certainly seems shakier then it once was. I don't know if they do or not, I skip the ads, and barely watch any live TV, so I couldn't confirm ads from any camera maker. Also just getting your logo up there before I do start skipping the ads, good luck with that.
  9. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Most of the TV advertising in the UK seems to be focused on the compact market. I don't watch a lot of TV so could be missing something, but I can't remember the last time I saw an advert for a hobbyist or enthusiast model. Panasonic and Olympus feature quite regularly in the photography magazines that I read, but Canon advertising seems almost non existent here in the UK. Does this mean they don't sell much here? Of course not.