OlymPus ... And For Their Next Trick ....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, May 4, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

What?

I'm relatively new to m4/3. I didn't go through any of the iterations. I just jumped to the EP3 and started there. Once I have my EM5 I will be set for a couple years. Maybe more.

Sans Mirror has a thought provoking article up entitled "Iteration"

Iteration | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

I have wondered about this situation myself. Several iterations of cameras in a very short time. It certainly can be a drain on the wallet. And now with Oly's latest it kinda puts all that came before in the dust. For me anyway.

I may not sell my EP3. Its a very good camera and makes a good second body.

So what is Olympus to do in order to get me and others to open our wallets now?

Onliest thing I can think of is prime lenses. Now that I have what is for me the perfect camera. Kindasorta. I want the lenses to go with it. I don't want to put Pany lenses on it. I'm weird that way. But I am willing to spend serious bucks for primes. Especially telephoto. I know I know, that is problematic and has been discussed here a LOT. Anyway ... hope you are thinking about this Oly. :smile:

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No one's forcing you to buy every new model that comes along. If there's a drain on your wallet, it's from your choices, not the manufacturers. If Oly introduces an EM-6 next year, your E-M5 will still take pictures just as well as it does now. There's generally little benefit to each new model of camera, compared to the model before. Wait 2 or 3 generations to upgrade and your wallet will be much thicker, and the impact on your photography [potentially] greater.

FWIW, and IMHO, while the E-M5 is certainly a large step above the E-P3, it hardly puts cameras like the GH2, and a number of others, in the dust. More realistically, Oly's finally caught up to the performance and sensor quality it's competitors have offered for a while.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I know that there have been a lot of requests for high quality, fast zooms. Primes are reasonably well covered - at least when the two new Olympus lenses arrive. That means, however, using Panasonic primes (Several are very well regarded - I use the 20mm quite happily) as part of the system.
    As far as the number of iterations released, it is interesting but not unprecedented. Canon runs three lines of dslr bodies at the same time: the "Rebel" series, the 20-60D series and the pro line-up 5D Mark whatever series. The advantage, for some of us, is the rapid price drop for :43: bodies. I can't afford the E-M5 but the E-P1 and 2 are a great bargain right now and the E-P3 has come down to a much more reasonable price point. Theoretically, this makes the :43: system more affordable to more people and, thus, increases the number of users.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My take is that just because a new camera is introduced, that doesn't make the camera you have a lesser tool. I'm still able to do everything with my (at least) two iterations behind "state of the art" E-PL1 as I was the day I got it (when it was only one iteration behind :wink:). In fact, I'd like to think that I am capable of coaxing better output from it now than when it was new, though that may be debatable (which is no fault of the camera).

Sure, Olympus and Panasonic are iterating at a faster rate than the big boys, but I don't really understand why that is a negative. By all reports the advances they've made with the E-M5/E-P3/G3/GX1 are impressive and the new hardware surely depresses the resale value of that which it replaces, but I don't view the purchase of a camera body as an investment. I expect to use a body for a certain amount of time, then when I eventually upgrade I'll either sell it for a fraction of what I paid for it, or just keep it as a backup.

In short, I don't really see the higher "iteration rate" in :43: as a negative. I expect that once the segment matures, the rate will slow, but as far as I can tell each iteration to this point is adding value (though some would argue re: GF1 to GF2), so I for one would rather see these advances released into the market as quickly as possible rather than hewing to a slower iteration rate just because that's what others in the industry are doing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nueces snapper

My Main ? Is ....

....So what is Olympus to do in order to get me and others to open our wallets now?

6. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Introducing the OM-D E-M5S:
    - Relocated strap lugs
    - EVF .025" bigger
    - 30 more shots per battery charge.

• Like Like x 3
  7. nueces snapper

Autofocus Improvement

I guess that is the big one that is left but I don't shoot action and won't trade up from the EM5 for that. My secondary question is what else can a manufacturer put in a camera that will truly outshine the EM5? Maybe GPS? Don't care about that either. Better movie capability? Means nada to me as well.

There's always the sensor. Maybe new tech will bring unimaginable progress there....

:smile:

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    They've already gotten you to open your wallet, I'm not sure their accountants would expect another major purchase from you until the next "big thing" comes along. They'll continue to sell plenty of E-M5's to :43: upgraders as well as those new to the system.

In the meantime they've got a couple of new prime lenses coming out soon. If that doesn't do it for you and you're still feeling badly that your not going to be able to spend money with them I'm sure that given their recent financial issues they'd welcome a cash donation from you. :wink:

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I need an EPM1 w/the new sensor. (I think this is about 85% probable. Just a guess on my part)

I want a left-VF oriented/RF type body with the new sensor (I think this is not likely to happen any time soon)

In lenses, fast zoom is the only other thing I need. Oh, and that 75/1.8. Maybe also a Panny 20/1.7 ii, but you were asking about Oly.

Lastly, real C-AF tracking, but like the RF design, this won't happen any time soon.

I don't need more than that (excepting maybe some new flash concepts).

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    This is a problem a lot of camera manufacturers are going to face. The market for upgrades has been driving a lot of the sales these past ten years, but we're reaching the point (if we haven't already) where the upgrades just aren't exciting enough to warrant the outlay.

The immediate answer is lenses. Olympus has already tipped their hand regarding a new macro (60/2.8) and telephoto (75/1.8). If they were to add a new 12-50/2.8-3.5 and a 50-200/2.8-3.5 for m4/3, I think they'd see a great number of high-end lens sales (and those lenses would help sell more than a few bodies). A 50/1.4 portrait lens and a 200/2.8 prime with teleconverter would also do quite well.

As to the body, some obvious attractions would be:
    1. 24MP, with ISO 100 or ISO 50 and better DR
    2. 4k video
    3. fully articulating 2MP LCD
    4. competent C-AF at 10 fps
    5. excellent battery life

I'd actually be quite surprised if they managed any of those in the next 18 months, but we shall see. My guess is we'll be entering a lull where bodies are concerned and the GF5 is but the first of a flood of modestly upgraded bodies.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  11. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The next improvement that Olympus can make me open my bleeding wallet is if they somehow manage to make next gen OM-D that fully support fast AF of existing 4/3 lens, if the m4/3 lens not catch up with it first. But I can rest asure even when they do it, I may not jump to it like I do now with OM-D. The OM-D will be enough for decades...:)

12. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Decades may be overstating it just a bit. :wink:

As far as the next "advances", I could see Olympus coming out with an E-M5 Ti with a titanium body in the mold of the OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti. You heard it here first.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The next m43 body from Oly will likely be their yearly refresh of a consumer body. Something that lets the average Walmart shopper know that they're getting this years model. Pretty well the same thing as the Panny GF5.

The next Panny body will likely be the GH3.