1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Air- you know what would be cool?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Underwater, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Setting it up as a slave off another body. Seems to me that should be possible- newer bodies are wi-fi, right? I'm not the most technically savvy guy out there, but I'm guessing that's something Olympus could do with firmware. While I'm day dreaming, how about having it hard-tethered to another camera? In my case, I'd love to have a set up like that for underwater use. Slap the 60mm macro on the Air, put them in a tiny housing at the end of a strobe arm and you're ready for whale sharks and tiny critters on the same dive. What do you think? I'll bet there's lots of uses for something like that on land, too- controlling it remotely off an M1 would be a blast, and it would be easier than tapping and dragging on a phone screen...

2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Really cool idea. Does wireless work underwater?

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Olympus wireless works by exposing web services over http/IP. It wouldn't be that hard to write a program to connect to multiple cameras and fire them at once. Hmmm - might be an interesting idea. The challenge would be getting the camera to join a router's WLAN rather than providing its own.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Olympus AIR came with this:

OLYMPUS OPC Hack & Make Project

you can write app for smartphone devices so I suppose they could be able to control multiple cameras (except for some accidental issues like the fact that each camera starts a different WiFi network and the smartphone can connect to just one of them, but maybe, with the SDK, the Air can be told to use an existing network, who knows)

5. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    no, sadly. Water absorbs high frequency radio signals like wifi.

6. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Yeah, that's the issue. I'm curious if it would work from a from a foot or two away; many dive computers have a wireless transmitter to track how much air you have left so at least some transmittance is possible. If nothing else, I'd think you could use a cable.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks for that link. I downloaded the comms protocol doc. Just as I suspected, the camera is stuck in AP mode with a fixed IP of 192.168.0.10. Devices get their IPs from a DHCP server in the camera. That would mean if an app wanted to communicate with multiple cameras simultaneously it would need to connect to multiple APs each on their own SSID. I don't think there are any WiFi stacks that can do that (even if the radio level might support it). It would need Olympus to change the camera firmware to allow it to connect to an external AP. The only alternative would be to hop around multiple SSIDs, but that would be very slow so I can't see any useful application from it.

I'm pretty sure BTW that this doc explains the protocol for all Olympus cameras - not just the Air. So, if you want to make your own app to replace the OIShare app, then it's all there! Mind you, it's been done before by Andreas Rebs:

Camera Control