Olympus Air camera. Shows how small a camera really can be.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ian., Feb 5, 2015.

1. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    This surpised me. It's something unique. The nearest thing is the Sony. But his is more flexible.
    11-150x150.jpg On DPReview
    It contains a sensor, battery and Wifi. Attach it to any m43 lens and use your smartphone as a viewfinder.
    If you look at the bulk of this compared to a m43 camera, it shows, without EVF of screen, you dont need a big fat camera.
    I expect other manufacturers might follow suit with a version for Full Frame lenses. Then people will realise how oversized, DSLRs really are.

2. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    We've seen the boxy prototype. This form factor is a pleasant surprise. It will be a marriage in heaven with pancakes such as the 14, 20, 14-42EZ or 12-32. Just imagine the size compared to the Sony. I will stand in line if this sells for $100.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

When I tried to get into this programme I was sent a reply email stating that the programme was only going to be in Japan... it would be excellent for UAV video, if Olympus could do good video output. With a good external power system, it would also be good for time lapse and astrophotography.

4. Shifty

Shifty Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2014
    Oklahoma City
  5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Now this Alien is really messed up!

08-700x525.jpg Olympus Air with Dot Sight in 43rumours

• Like Like x 2
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How is this different from the Sony?

I kind of am interested in the idea, mostly because I already have m43 lenses, but boy, camera shake is hard enough to manage with a camera pressed to my face!

Does it have a 100% e-shutter?

7. milkshakeman

milkshakeman New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2015
    It's probably a similar design that is going to be put in the DJI Phantom drones (where Olympus is now partnering with)?
    I guess that a 5-axis IBIS can come in handy when filming/photographing from a drone.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What surprises me about that dot sight is that it appears to be quite a bit larger than the one I bought and which was intended for a rifle.

9. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    :jedi:

10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Love the 3-D printed Pen built around the Air - image from 43rumours -

03-700x525.jpg

Although, on reflection it may just be histrionic click-bait. Regardless of whether it has an Air in it or not - the old Pen body as a transparent print-out is lovely,

11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The transparent Pen shows how much space is wasted.
    The Sony QX1 has a fixed zoom lens built in.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Oh. Thanks I'd only seen the QX30 and not the QX1 then.
    Anyway the Sony has a long thin 3:2 sensor requiring bulky lenses to cover the corners. And an exotic mount.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Mu-43 mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.