Olympus Air camera. Shows how small a camera really can be.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ian., Feb 5, 2015.

1. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    This surpised me. It's something unique. The nearest thing is the Sony. But his is more flexible.
    11-150x150. On DPReview
    It contains a sensor, battery and Wifi. Attach it to any m43 lens and use your smartphone as a viewfinder.
    If you look at the bulk of this compared to a m43 camera, it shows, without EVF of screen, you dont need a big fat camera.
    I expect other manufacturers might follow suit with a version for Full Frame lenses. Then people will realise how oversized, DSLRs really are.

2. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    We've seen the boxy prototype. This form factor is a pleasant surprise. It will be a marriage in heaven with pancakes such as the 14, 20, 14-42EZ or 12-32. Just imagine the size compared to the Sony. I will stand in line if this sells for $100.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When I tried to get into this programme I was sent a reply email stating that the programme was only going to be in Japan... it would be excellent for UAV video, if Olympus could do good video output. With a good external power system, it would also be good for time lapse and astrophotography.

4. Shifty

Shifty Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2014
    Oklahoma City
  5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Now this Alien is really messed up!

08-700x525. Olympus Air with Dot Sight in 43rumours

• Like Like x 2
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How is this different from the Sony?

I kind of am interested in the idea, mostly because I already have m43 lenses, but boy, camera shake is hard enough to manage with a camera pressed to my face!

Does it have a 100% e-shutter?

7. milkshakeman

milkshakeman New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2015
    It's probably a similar design that is going to be put in the DJI Phantom drones (where Olympus is now partnering with)?
    I guess that a 5-axis IBIS can come in handy when filming/photographing from a drone.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What surprises me about that dot sight is that it appears to be quite a bit larger than the one I bought and which was intended for a rifle.

9. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    :jedi:

10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Love the 3-D printed Pen built around the Air - image from 43rumours -

03-700x525.

Although, on reflection it may just be histrionic click-bait. Regardless of whether it has an Air in it or not - the old Pen body as a transparent print-out is lovely,

11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The transparent Pen shows how much space is wasted.
    The Sony QX1 has a fixed zoom lens built in.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Oh. Thanks I'd only seen the QX30 and not the QX1 then.
    Anyway the Sony has a long thin 3:2 sensor requiring bulky lenses to cover the corners. And an exotic mount.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Mu-43 mobile app