Olympus AIR A01 refurbs under $100

Real Name
Jim R
Two eBay listings, same seller -
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This feels similar to the YI M1 deals: if you buy one you either get a dead end or a potential bargain. The AIR is one (open-source? FW?) improvement away from great things, and the YI M1 is (as it's always been) one FW update from fully featured. Neither FW/app update is all that likely so both are priced low.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Two eBay listings, same seller -

This feels similar to the YI M1 deals: if you buy one you either get a dead end or a potential bargain. The AIR is one (open-source? FW?) improvement away from great things, and the YI M1 is (as it's always been) one FW update from fully featured. Neither FW/app update is all that likely so both are priced low.
I posted about my problems over at dpreview that caused me to buy and then return the AIR A01 2015:
Note, the camera's firmware never was open source. What was open source was the protocol description with the phone app, and sample IOS and Android apps that could control the AIR. I believe this is the same protocol used by all of the recent Olympus cameras that support wifi. So if you are motivated, you could program your own control for current Olympus cameras.

And I'm not sure whether there was a firmware update for the AIR.

However, I believe Olympus closed the site that links point to that contined the information some time ago, so any links are now dead. I did snag a copy when I got my AIR, but I haven't done anything with it.

Another thing to consider is it uses a fixed internal battery. The AIR was released in 2015, which makes the batteries now 4 years old. Since the batteries are not replaceable, I have to imagine they are at the point where lithium ion batteries start losing capacity.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom