1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus AF

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, May 9, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I haven't used the standard 14-42mm lens since, forever, it really didn't interest me all that much; I did the firmware update and kind of left it at that. But recently our LX2 bit the dust, became erratic, unresponsive and a right royal pain in the pants after it had a mild drop. I've put in an insurance claim, as the camera isn't all that old and I'm waiting to see what happens.

The major thing is that my wife is off to Bali soon and needs a camera to take along and it's usually been the LX2. Because I don't know what's about to happen with the insurance, the only other option is the Pen 1 and standard lens. So I asked SWMBO what she thought of the combination and she was pretty happy. That made me look a bit more closely at the combo and to my surprise, I found that the AF really has improved significantly. It's not slow, erratic, or any of the other complaints that I've read on the photo forums. In fairly woeful conditions, provide that there was some contrast, it focussed almost immediately.

So if the insurance does come through, I'm prepared to pay the extra and get the E-PL1 and set that up for her trip. With the pop-up flash, it will pretty much do what the LX3 (the other replacement option) will do, but offer much better results.

Bottom line, I honestly don't see what anyone has to complain about the Pen AF.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That seems to be the way it is.
    I found that with every lens, AF is much more accurate and fast.
    The EPL would be a great camera for her and even a backup for you.....
    Good luck.......

3. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    i agree ray - i ahve only recently had my e-p1 with 17mm with updated firmware - but the store 17mm & 14-42mm appeared to focus reasonably fast & accurately..though none of the lenses were at 1.0 firmware (so i don't know what its like)

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I recently bought the EPL-1 and immediatly upgraded to the new formware so I didn't have much time to compare proir and after upgrading the Oly.

what I can see is that the AF is fast enough and It's sure not like professionale Dslrs, but also the price is not the same.

I gave in my D50 so I can compare AF with that camera and didn't find much difference. In lowlite and particular conditions with kit lens and not only those it hunted, like every entry-level camera. So I have no complaint with my EPL-1 so far.:smile:

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I personally love the combination. I know many people don't care for the kit lens, but I find it acceptable and the AF is much improved with the new software.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I got the EPL-1 withe double kit lens: 14-42 and 40-150. Works fine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I must add that I use the 14-42mm on my E-PL1 more often than ever - yes, even more than the Panny 20mm. Never ever had a zoom lens before and at first I was prejudiced...now I'm awfully glad to have it and would love to bring its baby brother the 9-18mm home, too.:wink:

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi BBW,

Totally agree with you. The 14-42 kit lens is a good one. I'm used to superzooms because with ma D50 I had many supezooms from 18mm to 400mm and love them.

9. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    I can say that the Kit Lens....

is a fine lens.